Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I also had a free 740 which was also a pile of shit. Maybe I should try to find a nice one...
This. Buy a proper volvo in good fettle and you'll never want another car.

Leftfield option here would be a 90s V40 estate. Getting thin on the ground but still fairly cheap to pick up

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

This. Buy a proper volvo in good fettle and you'll never want another car.

Leftfield option here would be a 90s V40 estate. Getting thin on the ground but still fairly cheap to pick up

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Even the S40 with the clattery Renault diesel isn'ta bad car. Comfortable and based on a focus, it's a good steer. 

IMG_20200716_185728.thumb.jpg.287d2b49d7bcb5c111353dc62e5f5bdf.jpg

Drove both these today. I'm back in love with the GSA again. Didn't drive far enough to aggravate my knee. It's such a lovely car to drive. Yes, it needs revs occasionally, and the steering is hellishly heavy at parking speeds, but it floats so majestically, in a way small cars just don't, and swallows an impressive amount of shopping.

2CV is fun, but I need to get rear seatbelts sorted so it can be used more.

14 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

2CV is fun, but I need to get rear seatbelts sorted so it can be used more.

Still not a conundrum I’ve made any progress on... if you do please let me know! Although the baby was fine in the front for her maiden 2CV jaunt this weekend. 

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I just don't like parking cars up with the handbrake on, so they're in gear, with rocks. 2CV hadn't moved for a week. 

Fair point.

If I may ask a personal question, why don't you like flat wiper blades? Granted, they'd look out of place on a 2CV or other classic, but on something as modern(ish) as a Meriva  Zafira (yes, I recently watched that video and it prompted the question) it seems perfectly acceptable.

I use them on my 56 plate Veccy and they are pleasingly quiet and effective.

2 minutes ago, SteersWithThrottle said:

Fair point.

If I may ask a personal question, why don't you like flat wiper blades? Granted, they'd look out of place on a 2CV or other classic, but on something as modern(ish) as a Meriva (yes, I recently watched that video and it prompted the question) it seems perfectly acceptable.

I use them on my 56 plate Veccy and they are pleasingly quiet and effective.

Purely aesthetic. If a car was designed for them, then fair enough, but if it came from the factory with traditional blades, I prefer to see that.

I find aero blades do work better, but it depends on the car/wiper arm strength. 

2 of my 3 Zx's liked them, but the most recent one just couldn't push down hard enough, so it got an older style. Xsara is wearing them now as it hated the aero wipers I fitted to it. 406 hated them, both lagunas loved them, xm had them, xantia didn't etc

I do find they smear less though, especially in fine mist

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

Still not a conundrum I’ve made any progress on... if you do please let me know! Although the baby was fine in the front for her maiden 2CV jaunt this weekend. 

I heard a rumour she is planning on buying a new Dacia Sandero on finance 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, brownnova said:

saw a 2cv with green wings and white body between bala and ruthin on thursday dw's not bought another?? :D

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Because French. Because it's been resprayed, I've lost the RP number so I don't know when it was actually built. It would have been 1985 I suspect.

Do Citroen do like a birth cert thing?

I know VAG do, send them the chassis numebr, you get stuff like what factory it left, options list and the date of build. It's the guts of €100 though, presume someone has to delve into the basement of Wolfsburg and sift through a few files for the price of it. 

In other news, had the Invacar out for a run yesterday, which was nice. Video to follow on that. I was meant to be working on the 2CV, but meh. Sometimes you have to have a bit of fun.

But the Delica really does have to go. I can't face pouring more money into it, and my insurance renewal isn't helping there. Especially as it's about twice what the rest of the fleet is to insure. A last-ditch attempt will be made to shift it, or it'll just go to the unit and stay there.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, hairnet said:

saw a 2cv with green wings and white body between bala and ruthin on thursday dw's not bought another?? :D

28 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

No, but Brownnova has...

We’ve not braved going that far in it yet! 

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

In other news, had the Invacar out for a run yesterday, which was nice. Video to follow on that.

Yay! happy to see TWC getting some attention :) did you finally adjust the pulley distance to 10.25 inches? im really curious to see what effect that has on TWC's performance/driving feel, I know it helped a lot for Zel with TPA :)

edit: I see the video is already up, best watch it then! :) 

On 7/16/2020 at 11:15 PM, dollywobbler said:

Drove both these today. I'm back in love with the GSA again. Didn't drive far enough to aggravate my knee.

Interesting - my Xsara Picasso really gave me serious leg and backache when I first owned it. Think it's the funny angle of the pedals... Certainly not an ergonomic position. A year and a half later and it's now ok - and I've been on some long trips and long stints in London traffic. I assume my body has adapted to the hunched monkey position and I'll find a 'normal' car uncomfortable to drive.

Just watched the video about inappropriate comments. Sorry DW I know it is slightly off topic. I am sorry you had to make such a video.

What I do not get is YT offering me further watching  related content. One about a male masturbator machine and another about smoking/feet fetishes. Why YT, why?

Maybe this should go in the grump section?

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Just watched the video about inappropriate comments. Sorry DW I know it is slightly off topic. I am sorry you had to make such a video.

What I do not get is YT offering me further watching  related content. One about a male masturbator machine and another about smoking/feet fetishes. Why YT, why?

They reset viewing preferences every once in a while. Recently my feed is being clogged up with bigfoot-like conspiracies and kids TV. It really is weird sometimes.

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

The YouTube recommended viewing algorithm is a complete mystery; it's machine learning and computer guesswork. Also the reason why kids who watch cartoons on YouTube end up getting occasionally creepy and adult versions of the same cartoon.

Tom Scott, who's channel is worth a proper good look and watch has a great video explaining it. Basically we don't really know.