Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Well, there is a rush, as it only has MOT until the 5th July. While that sounds ages away, I have precious little tinkering time right now. Also, I might well be moving unit, so I really don't need another dead vehicle. I'll grant you it isn't very saleable, so my best bet may be to get a deal done on a unit (have viewed one, awaiting another) and park the Delica up. I can then either get back to it one day, or, perhaps more realistically, break it for spares.

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

The issue of having too many broken cars is rarely solved by buying another car, you still have the same amount of broken cars and possibly one more likely broken car.

Fixing the 2CV seems the most sensible, even throwing money at it for someone else to fix if that is what's needed.

Yup. I'm getting there with the 2CV. Hope to finish the tinkering tomorrow, so I can then get it booked in for another test week. Sadly missed the ten-day retest window. By about a month...

47 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Leftfield option, but as a motoring journo could you not blag something to review that would do the towing bit?

I know it's not what your target market tunes into but you could make in relevant, especially if it was modern shite like a great wall pickup.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Ha! I like your thinking. Buying the Delica was proper man-maths, as I'm sure getting a couple of vehicles transported isn't going to cost £1200...

Car logistics are not easy at the moment, as no-one in my household drives other than me, and we're still not meant to mix with other households, and public transport is regarded as Best Avoided (although presumably that means it's pretty empty). Rules will be reviewed shortly, but I suspect I might end up having to get all the cars at the unit transported - five of them.

I keep looking at Ian's fleet and thinking - maybe bringing Betty back from down under was actually the sensible solution #nothelpful.

It's probably the same logic that means I should get on and import a Mercury Mystique - would be almost unique in the UK, but in some ways a known quantity. 

14 hours ago, egg said:

I keep looking at Ian's fleet and thinking - maybe bringing Betty back from down under was actually the sensible solution #nothelpful.

It's probably the same logic that means I should get on and import a Mercury Mystique - would be almost unique in the UK, but in some ways a known quantity. 

Can't imagine there would be much in the way of parts support for the Fairmont here though. Importing parts from Aus probably would get old rather quick. 

There is no way I could even consider a Disco 3 or anything newer. Funnily enough I was at a garage today, watching much hate emanating from the poor chap trying to work on a Disco 4. Simple oil change. First off, remove sump guard. After three bolts snapped and one socket exploded, he got the fire out...

Whisper it, as I'm a bit behind with videos, but the 2CV is back on the road. So, my faith is now very much placed in two aircooled Citroens from 1986. Seeing as I've bought the sodding discs and pads for it, I think I might as well do the brake job on the Delica. But, with two vehicles back in use, it takes the pressure off and means I can take my time a bit.

19 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yes, the shocker bush one is annoying as the shockers aren't that old. I'll get one off, which you can do pretty easily without even jacking it up, and see what's what. Suspect the wheel bearings are a victim of my driving style, but I know they've not been replaced since at least 2008.

The MOT place have misrecorded the mileage, it's down as 18,000 miles. 

5 minutes ago, Spurious said:

five digit odometer?

What's that now @dollywobbler, must be 218,000 at this point. That's good going 

Yeah that'll be why. If you're a pervert inclined to look at the history they're been totting it up properly even with the 5 digit odometer. This last test the tester must've been frightened of the 2 key on his keyboard.

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Looking though the spec of the new Porsche Turbo S this evening I have noticed something important in your world, when specifying your £155,000 Turbo S for £245 extra you can have a rear wiper!

Rear wiper.jpg

I took the rear wiper off my Corolla, you can have that for a tenner instead.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Leftfield option, but as a motoring journo could you not blag something to review that would do the towing bit?

I know it's not what your target market tunes into but you could make in relevant, especially if it was modern shite like a great wall pickup.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

How about a tie up with a tool company/supplier? That would be pretty easy sponsorship to get into the videos without too much faff (by, say, putting a banner of theirs up on the unit’s wall behind the Sana, and by actually using the tools). Plus it would save you having to buy your own tools, and might solve a few issues along the way if they could give you bespoke tools for specific jobs on your cars, or give you something like a generator so you can kind-of have power in a far-flung unit.

Win-win? Provided you could find a company who would do that. HubNut viewers are probably a good demographic for a tool company to target though. 

Probably wouldn’t feel like selling out either, if you were actually using the tools.

Decided to farm out some work...

EcZ9y8uWkAckud4?format=jpg&name=small

Assessed for welding by a current Mitsu tech stroke 4x4 mechanic. Probably needs £200 of welding, but did confirm the steering rack is leaking, and the PAS pipes are shite generally. So, awaiting a full quote and hoping for the best. Overall, he seemed to reckon it was surprisingly good overall. Hoorah!

I feel your pain, aside from the brakes my Granvia 4x4 has been through the same sort of problens.  It landed me with a 4 figure bill for last year's MOT and that's with no welding required.  Parts are a complete nightmare to obtain so the knackered steering rack was refurbished for £300 as they couldn't get a new one.  It's still battered, rattly and drinks far too much diesel but it's a fun and useful vehicle, even if I have swapped the rear seats for a camper setup.