Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I would stick with it.

You're already this far into it and making progress. Get the rest of the brake situ sorted and you're pretty much there bar few tidying up jobs.

You can't really judge what the Delica can do performance and economy wise until it's not applying its brakes automatically as you drive.

If you decide down the line it's not for you still, you'll at least have a far more sellable vehicle at the end of it.

6 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

I'd consider a few things.

You've got the Delica which has 4WD. A lot of people have them and they tend to tow a wide variety of things. Caravans, trailers etc. They'll pull all day long. But they're not going to pull the same way as a Ford F150 with a V8 engine

Consider the geography of where you are and where you pootle about, I don't know of anything that would rush up hills fully laden with all sorts of cruel and unusual Sana bits and pieces. You're lucky enough to live in a world place that's crawling with bloody caravan drivers and motorhomes. People expect slow progress on windy mountain welsh roads.

You've been going through a period of binding brakes, that's obviously not going to help MPG or performance. You've been throwing money at it with new tyres and discs etc. It seems a false economy to do this and then get rid of it.

How often, really, are you going to be load lugging? If it was like Ceri and doing it day in day out then yeah it's obviously the wrong vehicle. But if it's periodically, use the driving time as moments of reflection and auto meditation (patent pending on that).

As boring as this will sound, as anti-Autoshite as it is as suggestion, throw the new calipers on it and carriers. Make sure that God himself couldn't bind them, and then try it again in terms of MPG. Draw a line under that as the money you're going to throw at the vehicle. You're in it for the amount you've spent on it, so get the money's worth of what you spent out of it. If it gets the Tercel stuff shifted and it progresses the progress of the Reliant, Sana and the Matiz, then it's paid for itself. Then you'll know when the time comes when you don't really need a load lugger for a period of time, then get shot of it for something more robust. But again, for something more robust and supersonic it's big money. And LPG conversions are great, but it's again big money and as a time-to-time application of a vehicle, is it worth it?

Sorry for being so sensible. It is friday after all and my mind is suffering from the old Keto diet. I will perform a self punishment ritual later on for this outburst. 

I like your sensible. I will go with it.

+1 for sorting the brakes. +1 for occasional tow vehicle.

I think you've had a case of sods law having sorted the rears and the fronts now do no want to play ball. There are a handful of these round my way in both 2wd and 4wd flavours; none are massively fast but sprightly enough for their size and weight; then again, I don't know if the driver is booting it! Looking around online a diesel one in good fettle averages 25-30mpg. The distance between new home and unit, and the amount of time the car has been stood around or had little use won't help if it's fighting against sticking brakes.

If the remaining Tercel spares are not far from the unit would the purchaser mind picking them up from where they are now save having to shift them?

On 6/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, SteersWithThrottle said:

Alternatively, why bother towing anything, when you can just put it all in the back?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1213892

12904813.jpg

A mate  of mine drove one of these from England to Portugal with the back full and a/framing a pick up.

French cops weren't too happy especially at 38 mph on the Peage.

The Delica got the job done on Friday, and the Tercel along with many, many parts departed the unit yesterday. I have space again!

Ebhvz-iWoAEQig5?format=jpg&name=large

The spare parts filled a short Transit, a Suzuki Swift and the Tercel itself. The people who came to collect it have no fewer than 9 Tercels between them! (albeit one is a Sprinter Carib). I think it's gone to the right home, even if it turns out to be beyond saving.

Now to crack on with  getting the 2CV back on the road, so I can sort out the Delica's brakes properly.

4 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I've flipped again on the Delica. I just don't have time to sort out its many issues. It is for sale, but it's crap, so I reckon the chances of a sale are slim. I think I've utterly messed up on this one.

Win some lose some. What's the worst car you have ever had dollywobbler? 

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I've flipped again on the Delica. I just don't have time to sort out its many issues. It is for sale, but it's crap, so I reckon the chances of a sale are slim. I think I've utterly messed up on this one.

You sold the CityRover which was unroadworthy and needed work to pass the MoT, so I should imagine you should get the same result with the Delica- I hope you're able to recoup as much of your losses as you can, if you had any.

19 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Win some lose some. What's the worst car you have ever had dollywobbler? 

Probably the Bond Equipe I saved from the scrappage scheme. It was awful! Clearly a dodgy MOT to get it included in the scheme. Cost me a fair bit to even get vaguely roadworthy, swapped it for a £350 Saab...

36 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I flogged myself for nothing ?

9 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I have watched the vids can't remember for certain if it's a 4x4 (think it is)

Could you hang on to it for a few months and then sell for the OMG Snow crowd. Tyres looked really good and grippy.

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Sorry, but reality has hit home this week. Wrong vehicle for what I need right now.

You're putting too much pressure on yourself. No one is in any rush to have you put all of these cars on the road. You've got the GSA and Delica on the road, Elly will get there soon as you're not all that far away, Foxanne just needs a good run.

You'll know best, but you don't need to put pressure on yourself to get these cars on the road mate. 

Have you thought about getting a normal, boring car for family duties, that isn't a project. Takes the pressure off if you have a daily that you dont need to worry about.

Of course the GSA or Ellie might fit that bill.

Then as sgtberbatov has said, you can work on the projects as time / money allow, without the pressure of needing them on the road for normal life duties.

Been there myself and the answer to my problem was a Zafira A - other normal / boring / white goods cars are available.

I know you like projects and having cars that general public may regard as crap, as it makes great you tube content for you, but they are work. Family car doesn't have to be used for content (other than I bought a washing machine and it's not broken down).

29 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

You're putting too much pressure on yourself. No one is in any rush to have you put all of these cars on the road. You've got the GSA and Delica on the road, Elly will get there soon as you're not all that far away, Foxanne just needs a good run.

You'll know best, but you don't need to put pressure on yourself to get these cars on the road mate. 

I agree @dollywobbler you have 2 working cars plus Elly not far from being ready, don't pressure yourself so much. 

Edited to add Mk1 and Mk2 Focuses are available for not much £, one of those would tide you over for a bit if you didn't want to daily the GSA or the Delica. 

I do think having a reliable shite family car is a good idea, that’s why I have the 9000. It’s interesting enough to stand out, but reliable and safe enough to be a good family car. 

I had a feeling you wouldn’t gel with the Delicia though, didn’t seem very you.

My (totally un-asked for or wanted suggestion) is that an ideal family car would be something mid-90s abd Swedish. Saab 900 (I know you’ve had a 9000 in the past and weren’t that taken with it or i’d suggest that), maybe a 900 convertible or a Volvo. Either that or something wafty and Japanese... another Lexus or a Honda Legend... 

Either that or go mad and get another XM! 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

You're all being far too logical about this.  What Dollywobbler needs to do is get TWC back on the road and fit a sidecar for carrying the family around.

clearly your overthinking/complicating things :) 

just fit a bench seat like the one shown in Prototype number 5 or MPH759P

@dollywobbler can sit in the middle. a child either side, and the lady can lie down in the foot well as @Zelandeth demonstrated was possible with TPA :mrgreen:

in fact im pretty sure I have seen this whole setup done before :mrgreen:

1918782_214082155597853_1352196955397558859_n.thumb.jpg.cf6b8d039a695aa284073e949ad8dfcf.jpg