Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Spent the day shuttling Tercel bits from the seller to my unit. The Delica was the steed, but it bound up a brake. Ended up dismantling and reassembling it at the unit.

The view was good though.

IMG_20200624_124055.thumb.jpg.aab178ca42a56d10dce5b477bad3779d.jpg

I now have discs and pads to fit to the Delica all-round, but I'm now wondering about new calipers and carriers for the front as they're rotten as fook. It's expensive this Delica business.

Oh and it delivered 16mpg after being thrashed over a mountain road fully laden. Twice. 

Still, the unit is looking busy...

IMG_20200624_164851.thumb.jpg.c1719551bfe98cc024148f3e8aaecbfc.jpg

Far more spares than I realised. I shall enjoy by £50 profit. No. Wait. The Delica drank it. Arse.

I'm starting to think that the Delica was a bad idea. I now have a tow bar for it, but can't fit it as the previous owner welded over a bolt hole. He has offered to help with that but given how much the thing struggled to haul a load of car parts over a hill the other day, I'm thinking it isn't actually the tow vehicle I need. Mind you, I'm not sure what is...

I think I'll fit the new brake parts I have and then start looking to move it on. Maybe it'd be cheaper to just hire a van with a tow bar and a trailer?

Problem is, buying at the bottom of the 4x4 market is a dangerous game. I think every 4x4 I've bought has been cheap for a reason. They've all been pretty knackered, bar the RAV4. Probably because bits are so expensive so no-one looks after them. Though my Discovery was as cheap as it was hopeless to be honest...

Do you specifically need a 4x4 for towing, though?

How about a large RWD estate car, or just large RWD car in general?

I would suggest a Legacy Outback 2.5 manual. My parents used one to tow a horse trailer (complete with chonky highland ponies)  and other stuff for years, but the prices of some parts (particularly brakes) were eye-watering.

I had a swb 2.8 Pajero import a while ago which I seem to remember is the same engine and running gear.

This was reasonably sprightly so I wonder if the engine is giving it's full potential? Mine did 24mpg almost irrespective of how it was driven!

Would something like an early 2000s Ssanyong Rexon or anything Korean suit you? I suppose the only issues you'd have to contend with is rust which cheap ones might have plenty of...

Or buy a Proton Jumbuck...

2 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

I imagine you could tow TWC behind the Sana if you could find;

A lightweight car trailer.....tricky

A towbar for a Sana..............??

For that specific combo what you actually need is a length of hairy yellow string.  No towbar required.

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006220396549?atmobcid=soc3

Brother Fumbler just found this 4 litre V8 (torque madness) Explorer with fresh MoT, low mileage and a towbar. It is a tad on the expensive side and it is in Dover, mind.

The 4L is a V6 I believe. It's also petrol, wouldn't a turbodiesel be better from the pov of torque?

2 minutes ago, SteersWithThrottle said:

The 4L is a V6 I believe. It's also petrol, wouldn't a turbodiesel be better from the pov of torque?

Yeah you're right- it is a V6, however I'd imagine it still has a lot of bottom end torque. It's nearly the same engine displacement and horsepower as the Land Cruiser so if a turbodiesel cannot be sourced, this would be an adequate contender I should think.

A 4.0 litre explorer, V8 or not, has plenty of torque, suitable gearing and additional cooling to make it a superb tow car - our American friends expect these things.  The only slight* issue would be that you would achieve single figure MPG towing over mountains in Wales.

Actually, the true AS thing to do would be to find one of those XUD powered LDV vans, convert it to a turbo XUD avec pompe Bosch, then run it on veg oil at silly boost.

Perhaps a DIY gearbox rebuild on @worldofceri's fallen steed. He could even deliver it!

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I'm starting to think that the Delica was a bad idea. 

This comes across in your tinkering videos. 

You appear uninspired to battle with this one and it seems this is not the vehicle for you. 

I like the idea of these and the looks of the boxy looks of early model, this model however was too sensible looking.

I feel they are a Jack of all trades master of none type vehicle.  add to that corrosion and costly parts = mojo loss.

The vehicle equivalent of this, ticks all the boxes, but overall shite. 

Screenshot_20200626-134717.jpg.c19e60b691f02e8fad4c5faaff0f44d4.jpg

I'd consider a few things.

You've got the Delica which has 4WD. A lot of people have them and they tend to tow a wide variety of things. Caravans, trailers etc. They'll pull all day long. But they're not going to pull the same way as a Ford F150 with a V8 engine

Consider the geography of where you are and where you pootle about, I don't know of anything that would rush up hills fully laden with all sorts of cruel and unusual Sana bits and pieces. You're lucky enough to live in a world place that's crawling with bloody caravan drivers and motorhomes. People expect slow progress on windy mountain welsh roads.

You've been going through a period of binding brakes, that's obviously not going to help MPG or performance. You've been throwing money at it with new tyres and discs etc. It seems a false economy to do this and then get rid of it.

How often, really, are you going to be load lugging? If it was like Ceri and doing it day in day out then yeah it's obviously the wrong vehicle. But if it's periodically, use the driving time as moments of reflection and auto meditation (patent pending on that).

As boring as this will sound, as anti-Autoshite as it is as suggestion, throw the new calipers on it and carriers. Make sure that God himself couldn't bind them, and then try it again in terms of MPG. Draw a line under that as the money you're going to throw at the vehicle. You're in it for the amount you've spent on it, so get the money's worth of what you spent out of it. If it gets the Tercel stuff shifted and it progresses the progress of the Reliant, Sana and the Matiz, then it's paid for itself. Then you'll know when the time comes when you don't really need a load lugger for a period of time, then get shot of it for something more robust. But again, for something more robust and supersonic it's big money. And LPG conversions are great, but it's again big money and as a time-to-time application of a vehicle, is it worth it?

Sorry for being so sensible. It is friday after all and my mind is suffering from the old Keto diet. I will perform a self punishment ritual later on for this outburst. 

I'd consider a few things.
You've got the Delica which has 4WD. A lot of people have them and they tend to tow a wide variety of things. Caravans, trailers etc. They'll pull all day long. But they're not going to pull the same way as a Ford F150 with a V8 engine
Consider the geography of where you are and where you pootle about, I don't know of anything that would rush up hills fully laden with all sorts of cruel and unusual Sana bits and pieces. You're lucky enough to live in a world place that's crawling with bloody caravan drivers and motorhomes. People expect slow progress on windy mountain welsh roads.
You've been going through a period of binding brakes, that's obviously not going to help MPG or performance. You've been throwing money at it with new tyres and discs etc. It seems a false economy to do this and then get rid of it.
How often, really, are you going to be load lugging? If it was like Ceri and doing it day in day out then yeah it's obviously the wrong vehicle. But if it's periodically, use the driving time as moments of reflection and auto meditation (patent pending on that).
As boring as this will sound, as anti-Autoshite as it is as suggestion, throw the new calipers on it and carriers. Make sure that God himself couldn't bind them, and then try it again in terms of MPG. Draw a line under that as the money you're going to throw at the vehicle. You're in it for the amount you've spent on it, so get the money's worth of what you spent out of it. If it gets the Tercel stuff shifted and it progresses the progress of the Reliant, Sana and the Matiz, then it's paid for itself. Then you'll know when the time comes when you don't really need a load lugger for a period of time, then get shot of it for something more robust. But again, for something more robust and supersonic it's big money. And LPG conversions are great, but it's again big money and as a time-to-time application of a vehicle, is it worth it?
Sorry for being so sensible. It is friday after all and my mind is suffering from the old Keto diet. I will perform a self punishment ritual later on for this outburst. 
What he says. Often the best car is the one you already have.

Failing that my S60 D5 would tow a house without breaking a sweat, they are cheap and handsome beasts.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk