Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

The ZX similarity is intriguing, as the ZX came later, and was styled by Bertone and Citroen (much as the XM was). Giugiaro did the ZX. I can't say it's an entirely happy design, especially at the rear, but the ZX hints are there. Most odd.

The colour stripe seems proper giffer-spec to me and wouldn't be standard. Mind you, those white ones really do need something to break up those blocky sides.

30 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

You can still buy these new. 

yeah I know :) its one of the things I love about em

same for the Niva, very much on the "If I win the lottery" list of buying one new, just for the fact I think its amazing you still can! (and just for the fact I find em strangely appealing esp the UAZ452)

I always love vehicles that have been made as unchanged as possible for as many years as possible :) 

but being in production for so long hopefully means one can find an older suitably cheap one to bring back home full of Sana parts as well :) 

It's been a few days since you revealed this, and not ONE person and pointed out the most obvious thing. The Yugo is Hollywood royalty.

Stole the show in arguably the last good Die Hard film. Hell, even a Lada didn't get driven by Samuel L motherf**king Jackson.

Didn’t Blydenstein do a conversion on the Sana, sure it was in the press at the time. There was also a garage out Mablethorpe way that had a hoard of old Yugo bits as well, they’d been a main dealer then obviously would up post 1992 when NATO wipes the factory off the face of the earth. 

Another 'joyous' day of working on the Delica today. After fitting a new caliper, there was an odd noise. Turns out the caliper is gouging a strip out of the middle of the wheel. Lovely!

Also, the brake on the other side is making some horrible scraping noises. Had a look at the backing plate is corroded, and the slider pin heads rounded. Marvellous!

Cars are shit.

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Holy jesus fucking christ!  9 seconds in to this:

Also.. the way it's being described *has* to be a piss-take, surely?

Yeah sadly its a fake. Me being Poirot I noticed that the dog food ad from beforehand had a date of 1977 on the end, so unless there was a company airing the same ad for 8 years straight and were too cheap to change it in any way, it's a fake. 

What isn't a fake is this gem we all know and love from Swithland Motors:

If you're wondering the first line is just 'Another new car, Jane?', the audio error doesn't deny us of clarification of the afterlife or conformation of the way the world was created sadly. But I mean, it is a local ad for a Yugo...

Got over myself, attacked the caliper with a file for a little 'clearancing' and all is now well in Delica land. Which is annoying, as I'd chucked such a paddy earlier that I've hired a van to move some car parts around. Idiot.

Just a casting error maybe? I mean, it wasn't hitting very much. I hardly removed that much material with a file, but it did the trick. Brakes feel much better with the new caliper. New discs and pads still to fit when they arrive, and then I'll check out the front. I'm hoping some carrier cleaning and maybe piston exercising will be good enough there.

6 minutes ago, djb222 said:

We had a Yugoslavian working at our place many years back, and if he is typical of the work ethic of his countrymen then I'm surprised there are any Yugos left on the road.?

Which part of YUG? I think the Slovenes and Croatians were a bit more driven than the rest of the country, which might help to explain why they were so keen to secede....

Just been interviewing a lady from Zagreb who does tours in Yugos for my radio show and I mentioned about the Sana. I think she was impressed that one survived, as well.

She was saying that now most Yugos in Croatia are driven by old ladies and there's barely any in the capital any more... 

7 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

There were plenty away from the cities in 2018! They were everywhere. Along with Yugoslavian Mk2 Golfs. Hundreds of them.

I thought that from when I saw your Mighty Dacia vids. I guess she meant there's now a lot less than there used to be. 

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Which part of YUG? I think the Slovenes and Croatians were a bit more driven than the rest of the country, which might help to explain why they were so keen to secede....

Can't remember he definitely wasn't Slovene or Croatian. He did cook some great traditional food though and was a nice chap..

Auntie_Bo11ox had one of these in the early 90's. Young cousin_bo11ox had a minor bump and smashed its headlights. a 6-month search for replacements ended up with buying another Sana just for its headlights, which were duly fitted. About 3 weeks went by then another minor bump smashed the new headlights. At this point both Sanas were carted off by a local scrap man despite being like 5 years old or something..

What an absolute load of rubbish, I'm so jealous, I like yugos hope this gets sorted out and road legal soon.been to Croatia 4 times on holiday now, last time we went there wasn't many about. But we went on a day trip to the mostar bridge in Bosnia, loads over border along with old mercs galore, and old fiat's. Hope you get it sorted out soon. 

48 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

But we went on a day trip to the mostar bridge in Bosnia, loads over border along with old mercs galore, and old fiat's. Hope you get it sorted out soon. 

Well. It's quite common to see old cars in former Yugoslavian states that are not part of the EU.

I just came across this old test on Autocar of the Favorit, Samara and Sana

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes-throwback-thursday/throwback-thursday-1990-skoda-favorit-vs-lada-samara-vs

For some reason, they got Jesus to drive the Lada.

He looks miserable.

spacer.png

The review of the Sana wasn't particularly favourable.

I'm slightly concerned that the Favorit left me a bit cold to be honest. I think it was a bit too competent to float my boat. 

In other news, Catsinthewelder was good enough to film some hot Dacia action for the channel. People said they couldn't hear him, so put subtitles on, with some odd results...

105490778_3302934233084095_3485402733682

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

I'm slightly concerned that the Favorit left me a bit cold to be honest. I think it was a bit too competent to float my boat. 

That's because you had a mk2 with its VW influence. You need a mk1 for full Skodaness. They are surprisingly different and much more fun (it makes me laugh anyway). We only need somebody with a Samara and we can recreate that road test. You know you want to. 

35 minutes ago, Yoss said:

That's because you had a mk2 with its VW influence. You need a mk1 for full Skodaness. They are surprisingly different and much more fun (it makes me laugh anyway). We only need somebody with a Samara and we can recreate that road test. You know you want to. 

Mk I Favorit gets points for having some of the coolest instrument panel warning lights in the business...

Stop tempting me into another Samara.  I'd really like to try an earlier one, without all the cat nonsense my 1997 one had.

Looks like the Sana uses Fiat Uno switchgear - or at least heavily inspired by it.  Does it include the wonderful "when the one bulb buried deep in the dash attached to the fibre optics, all the switchgear lighting dies" setup from the Fiat?

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

For a true recreation of that road test, It has to be Catsinthewelder, he looks kinda like the Jesus they put in the Lada.