Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

I’ve come to the, only logical really, conclusion that HubNut and Dollywobbler  are very carefully crafted Characters by a large cynical manipulative conglomerate, designed to make people realise how lucky they are to not have to endure these terrible vehicles.Probably funded by an off -shore company but could be traced back to VAG, The Hyundai Motors Corporation or possibly PSA. To make people aware that there are worst things ( just) than having to PCP some vile little White Goods hatchback.

Presumably when Ian finishes filming and leaves his Winnebago , he is unrecognisable in US Corporate Casual button down shirt , chinos and loafers and is driven to his mansion in a silver Audi A8 or Hyundai Grandeur.

Its the only possible explanation , because the alternative that he’s lik an automotive version of the self punishing Monk in the Davinci Code is just too scary.

I had not realised that the Sana used a Tipo engine.  I remember Sanas briefly appearing in the UK market and quite liking their general appearance. They disappeared before I could be tempted to try or buy one.  As a current owner of a 1.4ie Tipo, and previously of a 1.6 which snapped its cam belt and chewed valves (it got repaired and was subsequently fine), I can instantly recognise the lump under the Sana's bonnet. Based on a sample of one (1.4ie), the Tipo unit is revvy, has little low down torque, consumes oil (unlike most Japanese cars of similar era), will only exceed 40mpg if you drive it so gently that all joy evaporates, has a top end gasket which is a devil to seal unless glued first and has an alternator tucked behind the engine, making access for replacement or belt adjustment an under the car awkward task.  Generally though, it's a reliable unit and will perform adequately if driven like an Italian on a tune-up run.

Good luck with the project. Much more interesting than a very rusty Tercel and probably* a better bet than a City Rover.

Personally I think the Sana looks like a Tipo and ZX mashup. Ital design credentials mind you, whereas IDEA were behind the Tipo, Bertona the ZX. 

Intriguing buy.  Not Reading registered like so many Zastavas seemed to be. 

I found my brief affair with a 1.4 Tipo quite enjoyable, the engine has a really nice gruff tone to it. 

Apols for radio silence. It's been a busy weekend which involved trying to keep up with 1000 comments and trying to make the Delica's brakes work. Oh, and becoming a dad. Thankfully they're already 13 and 11, so no nappies.

More on the Sana. I was told it was a one-owner car, but no reason was given why it was parked up after a mere five years. The story sounded like it was retrieved from that first owner's garage, but I'm doubting that. For a start, with the fuse box hanging down and the tailgate missing (and the alternator for that matter), it feels more like a scrappy car, and there's damage to the underside to concur with that. the floor is a bit, um, ripply. The boot floor was buckled but I kicked that straight.

Now, there were recalls on the Sana, which hit trouble when Yugoslavia kicked off and sanctions were imposed - no spares. So, I suspect I'll never find out why it came off the road, but once off, it was pretty much stuffed. I do have a tailgate, but the wires have been cut. Nice!

It actually rolls pretty well, but the steering lock won't budge. Worryingly, the wheel will move more than you'd expect, so I'm wondering if someone has tried to force it and just ended up screwing up the thread at the top of the column. The key shows no interest in turning, which means either the lock has seized or it's not the right key. There are a lot of keys. They all seem to do different things.

I think the chances of the engine firing up are pretty remote. The bodge wiring in the engine bay suggests someone has already tried. I'll whip the timing covers off and see what mayhem lurks behind at some point, and squirt some oil down the bores in some vague hope it might actually be ok. While it is similar to the Tipo engine, various Serbians have already warned me that there are enough differences that they aren't interchangeable. Entire engines might be, but probably not bits of.

Bodily, it's remarkably good bar the wobbly floors and a bit of rot in the offside rear arch.

So, stage one will be further assessment. I'm really not sure what Stage 2 is. One option is to fly to Serbia, buy a Florida (as the Sana was called there), drive it back and use it to revive my Sana. Feels a bit cruel though and I suspect I'd be breaking a FAR better car. That said, LHD ones are fairly common and RHD ones are not.

One complication is that I really need to move unit. Hoping to find one nearer to home. Once that's done, I can crack on. Any suggestions for freeing off a steering lock are welcome and should probably be PM only.

I'll do a bit of GSA news while I'm here. As the Delica has been stuffed on brakes, the GSA has been working hard for shopping trips (minimum 34-mile round trip, with kids, and chips), unit visits (100 miles), 'nipping' to my PO Box (26-mile round trip) and dashing off to get brake fluid when I realised I've left a decent quantity of the stuff at the unit when working on the Delica...

It did 38mpg on the last tank.

Ea9LEL4WAAID_Oa?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That really isn't bad.  I hate having it out in all weathers though. It's so nice! Not quite as nice as I hoped - I see rot around some poor jacking damage in the driver's floor. However, it's so sweet to drive. Hard work, because it's all about the revs, and hills in fifth gear are met with a Gallic shrug, but it is so comfortable, and so much fun to drive quickly. I might have to put some decent rubber on it though, as the Nankangs squeal hard when pushed even slightly, and offer all the grip and reassurance in the wet of an oily rag. Exhaust centre section is blowing slightly, so I'll be glad to get the Delica and 2CV sorted to share the mileage a bit.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

It actually rolls pretty well, but the steering lock won't budge. Worryingly, the wheel will move more than you'd expect, so I'm wondering if someone has tried to force it and just ended up screwing up the thread at the top of the column. The key shows no interest in turning, which means either the lock has seized or it's not the right key. There are a lot of keys. They all seem to do different things.

Funny you should say that as I had a 1991 Panda that shat its ignition barrel. I thought I'd bodged it well enough until the steering locked while going around a roundabout...  Another Panda, a 1986 I think, dropped the pins in the ignition barrel meaning I could turn it to the first position with half the key inserted but that was it. I had to drill it out and leave the key jammed in. I also had the pleasure of ignition barrel failure of the Fiat variety while driving a 1993 Iveco. 

Just to prove it's not just Fiat who are useless at making ignition barrels, my E36 318is suffered from the dreaded 90s BMW key spin.

7 hours ago, RayMK said:

I had not realised that the Sana used a Tipo engine.  I remember Sanas briefly appearing in the UK market and quite liking their general appearance. They disappeared before I could be tempted to try or buy one......

Something to do with trade sanctions, apparently, but they were sold here up to about 1992. I think I've only seen two.

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

One option is to fly to Serbia, buy a Florida (as the Sana was called there), drive it back and use it to revive my Sana. Feels a bit cruel though and I suspect I'd be breaking a FAR better car. That said, LHD ones are fairly common and RHD ones are not.

I had wondered if it would be worth your while to get a (somewhat sad?) LHD one to break for parts/repair sections

could even drag @catsinthewelder along again this time to bring back a 2nd one to roffle on the forum so you dont feel so bad about breaking the first one :) 

or maybe fly to Serbia, buy some shonky soviet van, and load it up with as many spare parts as humanly possible then drive it back :) 

its about time someone on the forum got one of these! :) 

image.thumb.png.148bb295ca3b8c3df92ff60600e45a95.png

The MoT garage in Cribyn nr Lampeter (I forget the name) used to be a Yugo dealer, I doubt they have any parts left but there might be someone still working there with some Yugo knowledge.  

The garage owner in the 1980s could obviously spot a winning franchise as a faded sign next to the Yugo logo proves they sold Dacias as well. Still the original Duster probably sold quite well to tight Welsh hill farmers.

All the above assumes this garage still exists, the last time I drove past was probably 5 years ago. 

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

One option is to fly to Serbia, buy a Florida (as the Sana was called there), drive it back and use it to revive my Sana. Feels a bit cruel though and I suspect I'd be breaking a FAR better car. That said, LHD ones are fairly common and RHD ones are not.

Given that the floor of yours appears to have borne the brunt of the car being fork-lifted, and it's rotten, and the engine might not ever run again, and the interior is grim, would it not make more sense to buy a Florida and then use all the RHD-specific items from your Sana to convert it to RHD?

Probably less effort and you'll end up with a far better car at the end of it.  That Sana sounds like you could dump £2k into it and you'd still have a terrible car at the end of it.

I've not been able to watch the video yet as my broadband is down but I can't wait to see it.  I remember the excitement of spotting these in Serbia.  I wouldn't assume an imported one would be in better condition though as it would likely have been a hard 30 years.

Very much up for driving a UAZ 452 back, I've wanted one since that Ford London -NY challenge back in the early 90s ?

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The MoT garage in Cribyn nr Lampeter (I forget the name) used to be a Yugo dealer, I doubt they have any parts left but there might be someone still working there with some Yugo knowledge.  

The garage owner in the 1980s could obviously spot a winning franchise as a faded sign next to the Yugo logo proves they sold Dacias as well. Still the original Duster probably sold quite well to tight Welsh hill farmers.

All the above assumes this garage still exists, the last time I drove past was probably 5 years ago. 

This one?

Blimey what a machine!!!

Are you still struggling for keys? A decent locksmith will be able to make some keys to fit if you can get the steering lock off and give it to him. Anglia Locksmiths in Wisbech have done a couple for me in the past (I only know em cos Fatha_Bo11ox lives a few doors away from them)

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I had wondered if it would be worth your while to get a (somewhat sad?) LHD one to break for parts/repair sections

could even drag @catsinthewelder along again this time to bring back a 2nd one to roffle on the forum so you dont feel so bad about breaking the first one :) 

or maybe fly to Serbia, buy some shonky soviet van, and load it up with as many spare parts as humanly possible then drive it back :) 

its about time someone on the forum got one of these! :) 

image.thumb.png.148bb295ca3b8c3df92ff60600e45a95.png

You can still buy these new. 

7 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

When I was selling Citroens in the mid nineties the Sana was said to resemble the ZX.

The single wiper and the design of the rear 3/4 area do make them look a bit similar.  I suspect the similarity would have devalued the ZX more than it improved the value of the Sana though..