Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

Scrap cars have sod all value in Wales, because the scrappies are few and far between.

In other news, the Tercel is next in the firing line. Someone coming to view it this weekend has pulled out. Anyone fancy it? Comes with a fair old parts stash (which I haven't collected yet) but will need a LOT of welding.

It gets mentioned towards the end of this video, in which I explore the shite brakes on the Delica. 

For extra LOLs, people have been pointing out the MOT failures - like an ARB mounting that has sheared off, a split gaiter and a hole in the chassis. YAY.

Good tinkering video. I expected a motor of that size to have bigger rear brakes. They are bloody tiny! Pay no heed to people criticising your haircut. Unless they work for Vidal sassoon they are not qualified. Cutting hair is bloody difficult. Shame you have been let down on the Tercel. I do hope someone takes it off your hands. Keep up the good work. 

Not interested in the tercel, but having watched your delica video, there is a lot more you can do to get those calipers working again fairly reliably:

With the caliper off and in your hand, work the piston in and out.  Wind it in with a g-clamp, then push it back out a bit with the brake pedal.  With the piston most of the way out, detach the dust shield (even if it's split) and work some copper grease around the exposed bit of piston.  Work the piston in and out a few more times and you should find it's an awful lot better.  Copper grease works very well as even if all the grease bit gets hot and goes not-greasy-any-more, the copper content will still provide lubrication.

The front brakes are even easier, as when you wind one piston back in, the other will probably come out (if they're on the same circuit).  Do the same again to achieve full movement of the piston and lubricate the exposed part, and you should be OK.

The discs can be cleaned up.  Spin the hub with the engine (as you were doing) and hold a file or a piece of coarse sandpaper glued to a scrap of timber against the face.  Keep going until the surface is fairly smooth.  I've used a flap-disc in a grinder to do this before now (and remove the wear lips) and have managed to get what looked like scrap discs back to useable.

If the pads are uneven, a gentle dressing of the surface will bring them back.  Also, if the pads are not handed, swap them around (so the one with more material on it is adjacent to the piston) as the piston side one will often wear slightly faster.  If you do this, ensure that you dress the surface so you've not got high spots and hence only a limited amount of pad touching the disc.

You *could* throw new pads, discs and calipers at this, but they are recoverable and will last many more miles yet.

I'm presuming they're Aisin calipers on the Delica, seems common on Japanese 4wds. But whatever rubber they use on the boots on the piston and sliders seems to react badly with copper grease @Talbot. I've rebuilt brakes of Jimnys and Vitaras and wherever copper grease has been used they just swell up letting the moisture in. Red rubber grease works grand in my experience.... 

Probably work grand in the short term for a while. dunno how old the calipers I rebuilt were. 

Tercel sold, so that helps a bit. I'm up for trying to salvage the front brakes on the Delica, but I reckon the rears are warped so I'm just replacing the lot. Not cheap, but suddenly with kids a part of my life, safety feels even more important than usual - and it's not like I'm a fan of skimping on brakes normally.

17 hours ago, camryv6 said:

Kill it in some entertaining way on youtube, some bloke in America put syrup in an engine instead of engine oil, and apparently made over $5000 in revenue from the ten minute video.

A scrapped CityRover is not going to sit in most yards for parts scavenging. It'll take up room when there are more modern cars which will fill its place and offer more profit. So there is very good chance it'll just end up straight in a bailer. 

Hence a click-baity type video putting it through its final paces might not be so much of a bad idea if it generates a chunk of cash?

6 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

and it's not like I'm a fan of skimping on brakes normally.

Very much agree with you on that one, although any clean-up and recovery work you can do on them has to make it better than it is at the moment.

Depending on how bad the discs are, some companys offer a skimming service with the disc still attached to the vehicle.  For expensive discs, it can be a good option.

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

a click-baity type video putting it through its final paces might not be so much of a bad idea if it generates a chunk of cash?

Dukes of Hazzard-style jump? May hurt a bit though... Jonny Smith did it a few years back and he still winces when talking about it. What a great way to send out a car in style though.

Is the Tercel going to be fixed up or a spares car?

17 hours ago, camryv6 said:

apparently made over $5000 in revenue from the ten minute video.

skeptical cat is skeptical.

Whilst I don't have a youtube account, and have no experience of revenue from them, I've heard from several sources that you need millions and millions of views to actually make any money.  And on top of that, ad revenue is massively down at the moment.  DW himself may be able to offer more insight into that.

Plus, for some reason, Americans seem to enjoy watching things get smashed up or ruined in some way.  I can't imagine a UK based video would have the same appeal.  I certainly wouldn't be that interested in watching it.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

skeptical cat is skeptical.

Whilst I don't have a youtube account, and have no experience of revenue from them, I've heard from several sources that you need millions and millions of views to actually make any money.  And on top of that, ad revenue is massively down at the moment.  DW himself may be able to offer more insight into that.

Plus, for some reason, Americans seem to enjoy watching things get smashed up or ruined in some way.  I can't imagine a UK based video would have the same appeal.  I certainly wouldn't be that interested in watching it.

Worth remembering that £5000 dollars is only about £3000? Plus an American video will do better in America, and that's where the real ad money is. Certainly isn't the UK at the moment, where the ad revenue has dropped to about the fifth country for yield on my country. US, Norway and Australia are currently the top three. As a general rule, £1 per 1000 views isn't a bad rule in the UK, but I bet you do better in America. 

2 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

I'd be half tempted to drive it through the houses of the Pheonix Four. Bastards

If vengence isn't you thing, it could be worth donating it to a fire station near you so they can practice putting out a fire on it and cutting people out from it.

I like donating it to Fire and Rescue, at least there's some use out of it. 

Maybe they'd let you video the practice... 

Alternative is put it up on a no reserve eBay auction and see what happens. 

12 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Go for a Guinness book of records style , longest jump in a city rover, venue field of dreams with a row of moderns and LightBulbFuns Invacar somewhere in the middle ???

TWC will feel left out if REV is included and it isn't ?

41 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I like donating it to Fire and Rescue, at least there's some use out of it. 

Maybe they'd let you video the practice... 

Alternative is put it up on a no reserve eBay auction and see what happens. 

Was just thinking they'd probably be fine with a full video of it (publicity for their station etc), and what happens etc... Could turn it into a quite a decent video. Learning what they do, how they prep etc then just film them setting it on fire and say something humerous at the end!

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Was just thinking they'd probably be fine with a full video of it (publicity for their station etc), and what happens etc... Could turn it into a quite a decent video. Learning what they do, how they prep etc then just film them setting it on fire and say something humerous at the end!

It's a City Rover, they won't need the Jaws of Life  just some nail scissors would do it???

Perhaps if its going to get weighed in - strip all the eBayable bits off it you can and then take it off roading somewhere (whilst filming) 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngtenor.gif.6c48f6a1b87b4f139fc853ab45c79332.gif

A shame as these are unloved and I think some need to be preserved, but you are too far away and there is no room at the inn ( other pathetic excuses are available).

11 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, distance is the main issue here for a car that's worthless. A few ideas bouncing around. Having sold the Tercel, I do actually technically have space to keep it so maybe some fun can yet be had.

if there is space suddenly freed up, then could you perhaps just stash it away for a rainy day/until strut top mounts do materialise or something? ie SORN and forget about it?

it would also be good for taking up space and stopping you from replacing it with something just as shite, assuming thats a "problem" you want actually want solving :mrgreen:

(forget about it for long enough then 10-20 years down the line you can do a genuine OMG Barn find video on a city rover LOL)

will say it would be nice if it does survive somehow, I can very much see City rovers vanishing almost entirely in the next few years, so it would be nice to see at least one survive on this forum :) 

perhaps it would be best not to look at it as just a £200 banger to drive and then flog/scrap when the repairs exceed £200, but on its own as a prime piece of shite worth saving? for future generations on how not to try and save your failing car company LOL 

(easy for me to say iv only got the 1 non roadworthy car stuck 100 miles away you have 5ish of the things!) 

20 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Yeah, distance is the main issue here for a car that's worthless. A few ideas bouncing around. Having sold the Tercel, I do actually technically have space to keep it so maybe some fun can yet be had.

Just a thought,  can you get some of those adjustable top mounts that the Drift/race guys use for the City Rover with perhaps some modification ( I know not very Hub nut/Dollywobbler ) ?

I'm sure it would take quite some internet investigations but could keep it on the road ?

As I said just a thought 

Busy day. New car landed, but my plans for a live reveal went astray. Now have a video in the edit suite and it should be live in an hour or so. 
Managed to sell the CityRover though! 
I think selling it was the right thing to do. They are an interesting footnote in the rover story, but nothing special - it wasnt anything more than a Tata with a few rover badges lobbed on.

It's probably too similar to the Matiz to justify having both on the fleet, and apart from the sentimental value to you, the Matiz is likely to garner a bit more interest from people, as they were reasonably common at one stage....

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk