Nottingham and further. Scrapyards and sightings.

binhoker668

Another new thread of semi interesting ballicks wot I have been seeing since living down here...
Have also been dropping into scrapyards locally when I spot them - Scrappage scheme hoovering them all up now...

Volvo and Merc dead and gone.
PA200136.jpg

I watched this driven through the yard and then left under the crane. It was a spotless P-reg.

Going....
PA200137.jpg

Going...
PA200138.jpg

Gone!
PA200139.jpg

Golf and Carlton (Carlton was driven in t'other week as I recall...)
PA200140.jpg

Jag - love these - defo on my list to own sometime when I become rather bizarrely rich..
PA200142.jpg

Camry/Mr2 etc
PA200143.jpg

Defunct Suzuki
PA200144.jpg

Mint Maestro! I called into my local wee garage on the way home and told them it was there - they're Montego fanciers - think I posted them on here before - will maybe shove some pics on this one again. Hopefully they'll save it...
PA200145.jpg

Yeah - this garage. Dead good. Nowt but shite parked inside and out. WELL old school!
Image0416-1.jpg

Image0414-1.jpg

Image0415-1.jpg

Nice bit of Jap ute action
PA170124.jpg

So anyways....
I put up the scrappy pics for edification yes, but also if anyone needs owt from there (i will update) I'll be happy to help.

Another local scrappy - Spring Lane, up Mapperley way in Notts. Not much of mad interest here I know, but just to let local shiters (Gompo and maybe some others?) know what's up there. Also it comes highly recommended cos the gaffer (Chris) is a top guy, and also loved Autoshite.com having checked it out on my recommendation last time I was there.....

Golfs etc

Posted Image

Breaking Alfalfa

Posted Image

Trannies

Posted Image

Miserable dead Panda (sniff!)

Posted Image

Ace Saab

Posted Image

Decent Recaro action

Posted Image

Dead Bug

Posted Image

Landy Alloys a-plenty

Posted Image

Sporto Fiat action - looks like a runner too

Posted Image

Posted Image

So yeah...

Kinda pointless pics maybe, but thought I'd ram them up anyway.

Gimme a shout if ye want me to check up on parts/bits or whatever - always feel at home muckin' about in scrappys!

It's years sice I've been in a scrap yard- used to frequent them all the time in my youth, back in the late '70s and early '80s. Back then, all the cars in the yard were clearly shagged, usually with terminal rot or accident damage. All the cars in these pics look perfectly road worthy to me. Insanity!

It's years sice I've been in a scrap yard- used to frequent them all the time in my youth, back in the late '70s and early '80s. Back then, all the cars in the yard were clearly shagged, usually with terminal rot or accident damage. All the cars in these pics look perfectly road worthy to me. Insanity!

Totally! And that's not even the half of them - grand majority were M,P,S,T regs etc. Even Mrs Hoker was exclaiming at the amount of decent looking motors....

I love rooting around in scrapyards too....There used to be a fantastic one near Chobham/Ascot that was huge. I popped over there when I was down south and the scrappy bit was a small fraction of it's old size. The rest was being used as a lorry park for hgv's..I can still picture it in my head full of lovely 70's & early 80's tat... :cry:

I love rooting around it scrapyards too....There used to be a fantastic one near Chobham/Ascot that was huge. I popped over there when I was down south and the scrappy bit was a small fraction of it's old size. The rest was being used as a lorry park for hgv's..I can still picture it in my head full of lovely 70's & early 80's tat... :cry:

Yup - seems quite ripe for it here - 2 down 2 more to check out!!

Thing is though, as strange as it is to see seemingly mint and fairly new cars in yards, there's usually a pretty good reason (bar the scrappage scheme). I like to imagine the story, because most fairly new things which look and run nice are still worth more than scrap value. So I sit there wondering why, could be a weird immobilizer fault which has killed it dead, some strange emissions problem which no one could ever get to the bottom of, or just the expense of the cambelt/headgasket going on a fairly complex engine. I always like to figure out the story in my head if it's an interesting motor, although quite often it's simply a case of walking around it to see the other side completely caved-in.I was in a yard this week and ended up having a good look at a fairly stripped Hyundai Coupe MK1 which looked like it must have been pretty mint until recently - the remaining panels were clean and polished, fancy twincam engine looked fine. Looked inside and it had an autobox - at a guess I'd say the box had blown up and the repair costs were too much to make it worthwhile. That's life I suppose.

Thing is though, as strange as it is to see seemingly mint and fairly new cars in yards, there's usually a pretty good reason (bar the scrappage scheme). I like to imagine the story, because most fairly new things which look and run nice are still worth more than scrap value. So I sit there wondering why, could be a weird immobilizer fault which has killed it dead, some strange emissions problem which no one could ever get to the bottom of, or just the expense of the cambelt/headgasket going on a fairly complex engine. I always like to figure out the story in my head if it's an interesting motor, although quite often it's simply a case of walking around it to see the other side completely caved-in.I was in a yard this week and ended up having a good look at a fairly stripped Hyundai Coupe MK1 which looked like it must have been pretty mint until recently - the remaining panels were clean and polished, fancy twincam engine looked fine. Looked inside and it had an autobox - at a guess I'd say the box had blown up and the repair costs were too much to make it worthwhile. That's life I suppose.

Babbingtons in Leeds is a great wee scrappy - fair bit of decent tat in there too most of the time.Dunno about the decent reason thing - have seen loads of them driven in - mot ran out kinda scenario. Go to any scrappy on the last day of any month and there they are....

most fairly new things which look and run nice are still worth more than scrap value. So I sit there wondering why, could be a weird immobilizer fault which has killed it dead, some strange emissions problem which no one could ever get to the bottom of, or just the expense of the cambelt/headgasket going on a fairly complex engine.

Personally I often find that mint cars in scrapyards are often victims of the 'throw-away society' something goes wrong, or it need to go for an MOT, they get scared by garage quotes and often just dont trust garages, giving them the excuse to scrap it and buy a new one (To show off to thier friends) :evil:

most fairly new things which look and run nice are still worth more than scrap value. So I sit there wondering why, could be a weird immobilizer fault which has killed it dead, some strange emissions problem which no one could ever get to the bottom of, or just the expense of the cambelt/headgasket going on a fairly complex engine.

Personally I often find that mint cars in scrapyards are often victims of the 'throw-away society' something goes wrong, they get scared by garage quotes and often dont trust garages, hence they think, I'll just scrap it and buy a new one :evil:
Yup - what ^ he said...

Then of course many other cars do develop actual problems over time. This is often because the owners just dont seem to understand the concept of having the car "serviced"

Absolutely! I know of a woman who ran a car from new for 5 years without ever changing the oil, or even checking the level ("I didn't know you had to") and was amazed when it siezed up! :shock::roll:

Not much of mad interest here I know, but just to let local shiters (Gompo and maybe some others?) know what's up there. Also it comes highly recommended cos the gaffer (Chris) is a top guy, and also loved Autoshite.com having checked it out on my recommendation last time I was there.....So yeah...Kinda pointless pics maybe, but thought I'd ram them up anyway.Gimme a shout if ye want me to check up on parts/bits or whatever - always feel at home muckin' about in scrappys!

Cheers. Scrapyard pics are very rarely pointless though, whatever cars are in it's always interesting to see and discuss current trends. Most of these cars are our futureshite afterall.

Then of course many other cars do develop actual problems over time. This is often because the owners just dont seem to understand the concept of having the car "serviced"

Absolutely! I know of a woman who ran a car from new for 5 years without ever changing the oil, or even checking the level ("I didn't know you had to") and was amazed when it siezed up! :shock::roll:
A guy where I work has a Lotus Exige - nice but uncomfortable. He had it serviced 2 years ago and has no intention of ever having it done again until he hands it back.

Personally I often find that mint cars in scrapyards are often victims of the 'throw-away society' something goes wrong, they get scared by garage quotes and often dont trust garages, hence they think, I'll just scrap it and buy a new one :evil:
Yup - what ^ he said...
Agreed with that to a point. I had an Alfa 145 2.0 Cloverleaf. The body was mint, it really did look good even though I say so myself. But, one day it just died, wouldn't run, wouldn't start just dead. Turned out the cambelt had jumped with obvious results, plus needed a new air flow meter and a whole host of other (expensive) bits. Now being an enthusiast I had everything fixed as I couldn't bear to see it scrapped. Bill came to somewhere around £2k :shock: but it was perfect again. Four months later I sold it for about £1800.

From a rational point of view it would have been cheaper for me to have scrapped it. I wouldn't because thats not my way but an awful lot of people would have done.

Bodily cars last a lot better these days but carry a lot of fairly complex and expensive bits which if they go wrong then the owners will give up and scrap them. It's not right but you can see why it happens.

Car repair is just getting more and more expensive, and more and more out of reach for the hobbyist.ECUs and sensors aren't automatically a main dealer job, but if you have to buy a £200 reader the first time you do a job then it's another £200 that the repair has cost you. And the electroniccy bits themselves are pricey - an airflow meter for a modern car is anywhere between £80 and £300 where in the past, they just did not have them. Crankshaft position sensors, throttle body position sensors.... all extra cost, all consumable items. All you need is two sensors to fail together on a 15 year old car and you might as well scrap it if breakers don't turn up with the goods.Bodywise there's more bonded stuff, plastic panels requiring special paint methods and there's not the market for repair panels and patches - you can buy an arch for a Mk4 Cortina, can you buy just an arch for a 2004 Clio? No, it's the whole rear quarter.