'94 M reg Volvo 440 in Blurple #PeakChod

Cord Fourteener

The one thing I remember from my childhood in the '80s is that Volvos always has their sidelights on.

My recent Saab 93 OG didn't force you to have lights on but it allowed you to have the switch always on without draining the battery. I think some Japanese cars do this too.

5 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Went for a drive last night, ended up on your neck of the woods... didn’t see this car. I R disappoint.

I’m almost tempted to say bring this instead of the there 924 to the b Shitesteddfod now... it’s wonderful! 

I'm in Clawddnewydd, give me a shout when you are over here next :)

Also, this car and it's collection has had so much interest here it's been amazing, I almost feel like I ought to bring it along. It's going to be a tough decision (unless it's raining in which case it's the Volvo)

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

Only got as close as Llysfasi or Llanfair DC then, came up the Nant y Garth pass and through Ruthin. Fancied a late night drive, ended up being our for 2 hours! Next time I’ll head that way! 

Shame, I came home via Nant y Garth. A few hours earlier though! I was tempted to go for a night drive to see the dash lit up for the first time. I ended up just sat in it on my drive instead.

@Jim Bell Sorted, thanks.

Update: I still haven't emptied anything of the previous owner except an empty Mars bar wrapper.

Would anyone like an #autoarchaeology session or should I keep that bit to myself?

Note, I have no immediate plans to clean car, maybe at the weekend or sometime in the next few weeks.

Just now, rantingYoof said:

Absolutely not, you must share, with photographs. 

Right-O, will do. Like I said, not anytime too soon though. Need to get some work done. In fact Day #2 we did work, hence the photo with the bass in the boot. Tomorrow and next week gardening.

3 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I hope the clutch is good condition as replacing it is an engine out job that technically wrote a lot of these off in terms of labour costs.

Clutch works for now at least. It's not an aggressive clutch by any means, but I don't know what it's meant to feel like.

The pedals aren't best placed for heel-toe rev matching double declutching but I have managed it. I think I am kind to clutches in general, mostly.

Plus the car has done 78,000 miles so there's hope re the clutch. I'm more concerned about the timing belt, but that's relatively easy in this car I believe (even if I end up farming that job out).

Still remember the first time I saw that style of warning lights on the dash of a friend's 480.  It looked really futuristic to me as a five year old!

Nearly bought one quite similar to that but green when I went for the Samara instead.  Insurance on the Volvo was nearly double that on the Lada. 

Still haven't owned a Volvo of any kind yet!

We need a dash at night shot for this one I think...

Speaking of that, I assume this makes extensive use of fibre optics like the 480...if so you might even have illuminated seatbelt buckles...

You might want to get the exhaust sorted before it melts the rear bumper.

Right, I can confirm that with my smallest snug trainers on I can heel-toe fairly well, just not so much in boots and bulky shoes.

I can also confirm (drum roll please) that the headlight wipers appear to work. I did the same research as astronomers did to discover exo-planets; There was a dimming flicker in the headlight beam (tonight was the first night drive) when I washed the windscreen suggesting that either there are exo-planets orbiting my headlights where their orbit is synchronous with my desire to wash the windscreen or (more likely) the headlight wipers actually work the way they are meant to.

48 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

We need a dash at night shot for this one I think...

Speaking of that, I assume this makes extensive use of fibre optics like the 480...if so you might even have illuminated seatbelt buckles..

No illuminated seat belt buckles on mine.

20200316_215449.jpg