Cheap consumables?

Kiltox

This looks like a decent price for 20L of premixed coolant to me - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Coolant-Antifreeze-G12-RED-Ready-Mixed-30-C-125-German-Hi-Spec/303185124706?hash=item46973ddd62:g:OmcAAOSwVClc~33t and it's not even in an awkward 20L drum.  The same seller has blue, green, yellow etc too.

Figured a thread for cheap consumables wouldn't hurt - oil, coolant, screenwash etc?  I'm sure 5L of coolant is about £15 in ECP/Halfords/etc!

Ta, don't need any nowm but bookmarked for future use. At that price why flush the system with de-ionised water?

Screenwash wise, I tend to buy up 5 of the Aldi 5l ready mixed bottled in the autumn which sees both cars through to the next autumn. Its usually under £3 for 5 litres and because I'm a mingebag I dilute it a bit to make it go even further. Sod paying halfords prices for screenwash.

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

Screenwash wise, I tend to buy up 5 of the Aldi 5l ready mixed bottled in the autumn which sees both cars through to the next autumn.

I initially read that as 5 litres lasts you all winter, which would be impressive! The downsides of rural roads round here are that we get through 5 litres a week when they're gritted :-(

7 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Damn the expense, I like the fruity Halfords stuff. 5L lasts a while anyway.

What is the point of pre-mixed coolant and screenwash? Water is heavy so surely the transport costs alone mean concentrate makes more sense

Some people don’t trust themselves to dilute something to half the strength without fucking it up? 

Well, half this and half it’s a pain buying deionised water as well.

13 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Damn the expense, I like the fruity Halfords stuff. 5L lasts a while anyway.

What is the point of pre-mixed coolant and screenwash? Water is heavy so surely the transport costs alone mean concentrate makes more sense

Personally, any job that involves replacing coolant is usually a big one and the last thing I want to be doing at the end of it is pissing about mixing up the right concentration, valuable beer drinking time. 

10 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Doesnt mention toyota in the spec list but will be alright to chuck in the prius??

As long as it matches the colour of what’s in there - never mix red with blue etc. 

They do blue, green, yellow, purple as well as red 

(I think there’s some kinds you CAN mix, but I never do)

11 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Whilst not cheap at first. They do last 3-4 times longer than normal nitrile gloves,  so cheaper in the long run. They are strong enough to take off and put back on multiple times. 

Screenshot_20200313-155146.jpg.c845efaf8eaca1429188041b6a9a235f.jpg

Been thinking about some better disposable* gloves - the cheap blue ones are fucking useless for working on cars 

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

As long as it matches the colour of what’s in there - never mix red with blue etc. 

They do blue, green, yellow, purple as well as red 

(I think there’s some kinds you CAN mix, but I never do)

Ordered thank you - should do prius which has 2x coolant systems and corolla ???

And yes these cheapy blue gloves from ecp really are rubbish. Rip before I've even opened my toolbox!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 3:55 PM, Andyrew said:

Whilst not cheap at first. They do last 3-4 times longer than normal nitrile gloves,  so cheaper in the long run. They are strong enough to take off and put back on multiple times. 

Screenshot_20200313-155146.jpg.c845efaf8eaca1429188041b6a9a235f.jpg

I think I had these before and thought they were OK. Obviously you get asked about the whole Edd China thing, but once you get past that they're good gloves. 

You got a link for them for your shop @Andyrew?