Famous Five - NOW SOLD

eddyramrod

Northern Monkey has already shown you what he was out in today; no doubt he will be showing you what he went home in too.  He's left me a somewhat battered Volvo estate, and for all the rude things I've said (and will continue to say) about this arrangement, it's FWD!  What this does mean, of course, is that Hot Wheels do a model of it...

Neil parked it in the first space he found in my street, and it can stay there overnight, I cba moving it.  Not that there's anywhere to move it to, really.  I haven't driven it yet, haven't even sat in it.  That's all to come tomorrow, with some daylight pictures.

1996 Volvo 850 GLT estate auto, ex-Snagglepuss.  Should be most suitable for my needs.

One thing Northern Monkey said when he dropped off the Volvo yesterday was that he couldn't be sure how much petrol was left until the feed-me light came on.  Well lo and behold, it came on this morning after I'd been to the dentist. so later when I'm on the other computer, there will actually be a pez shot!

As promised...

1552350594_GLT006.thumb.jpg.a8a867a779dd242b9f67210269f22e59.jpg

And here's a walkaround of the rest of the car.

1011053264_GLT007.thumb.jpg.ae99d1d626aeb6e74d7d0fa7265338ee.jpg

2026472595_GLT008.thumb.jpg.7cbfb73d10ef388307c05458582d3901.jpg

1856244072_GLT009.thumb.jpg.f0088af7990bfbe9d92ebcffed2eb264.jpg

104937981_GLT010.thumb.jpg.ecdafeb2f2f2be8ab3eeed8033b06803.jpg

1315235676_GLT011.thumb.jpg.1d6082c8361cd7e91a203c9f3e31c93a.jpg

It's funny, isn't it, how the length of those rear quarter windows seemed to reduce steadily from the 240, to the 740/940, to the 850.  Yet there's still as much space as a man could need in the back!

I haven't yet braved the Chamber Of Secrets that passes for a glove box, but come the better weather, I suspect there will be a happy afternoon of fiddling there.

It's ex Bucketeer - he brought it into the fold. I think he extensively road tested it.

Interesting fact was he used it to camp out somewhere, popped out for a wee and it slammed shut and locked behind him.

Cue a semi naked Bucketeer trying to open the car with all the twigs and sticks available to him. None of it work so he then spent 20 mins trying to break the window with a rock!

He finally managed it, so if you hear rattling in the rear passenger door it might be some loose glass :-)

If the ABS light come on you can pull out the abs module and give the electrical contacts a clean and that should sort it.

It's got a set of winter tyres on steels as the alloys were properly shagged and vibrated hugely.

The locked box of treasure is yet to be opened....

On 3/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, Schaefft said:

Is this the Volvo Estate I drove at the North East meet recently? If yes it seriously made me consider one of these, it sound absolutely amazing and was quick!

No that was mine and it was a T-5. I've since swapped with @GeordieInExile for a bini cooper s.

• 1 month later...

I've done two jobs on this today, as it's so nice outside.  Well started them; when or even if they will get finished is another matter.  I took off one of the wheels and gave it a dose of drill-mounted wire brush action.  It's now sitting in my back yard in primer. 

The other job is the permalocked glove box.  I got it open!  Not sure it'll close again, especially as one of the hinges is broken, but I will probably be fiddling with it for a while yet.  Mystery contents?  Zero!  There was nothing in it but air.

18 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

The other job is the permalocked glove box.  I got it open!  Not sure it'll close again, especially as one of the hinges is broken, but I will probably be fiddling with it for a while yet.  Mystery contents?  Zero!  There was nothing in it but air.

That is disappointing ... I was hoping for some type of treasure*

18 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

I've done two jobs on this today, as it's so nice outside.  Well started them; when or even if they will get finished is another matter.  I took off one of the wheels and gave it a dose of drill-mounted wire brush action.  It's now sitting in my back yard in primer. 

I might have hinges for it, I'll have a look at some point. Every 850 we've owned has arrived with a fucked glovebox of some description. Unfortunately I'm not that good at fixing them, but I may have parts!

Thank you gents!  Meanwhile, remember this view?

1473876480_GLT008.thumb.jpg.ff2253824512042f8c1e783584efcb8a.jpg

Looks a bit scruffy, doesn't it?  Admittedly I've washed it since, but it showed up just how rough the wheels were looking.

682853492_Rims001.thumb.jpg.1506e8c7f849f037de02685e0822a7e1.jpg

You see what I mean.  So I've started doing this...

1220105849_Rims002.thumb.jpg.e559b76e0f56bcb9aea43303a6480f04.jpg

Yes, I know, my masking isn't the best, but just look...

1691833493_Rims003.thumb.jpg.b3f5cedeb64890fc5b4755ad21715263.jpg

In fairness, I've only done one side so far, but I'm now on the other side too.  I was going to do them black, but didn't have enough; then I thought of white, but again, couldn't get my hands on enough white either.  So I've ended up with this pale sage green, which I'm quite pleased with.  When I can find my tyre black I'll go round the sidewalls.