Mad March Movements

NorthernMonkey

3 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Basically, I agreed to buy this a couple of weeks ago from @andyberg as a replacement for the ex- @rantingYoof S60 which has been my father in laws daily transport for the last 18 months or so. Unfortunately, the clutch has recently started slipping under boost, which, along with a long term noisy DMF, a front bumper modified by a Jewsons delivery truck and a remaining MOT measured in days, has rendered it just about uneconomical to repair.

It's done bloody well...20 months on from when I sold it with the DMF rattle.

Could the S60 get a silly cheap roffle send off?

Notwithstanding the issues, a £3 per ticket send off (or 4 for £10) would probably go down well. :-D

45 minutes ago, rantingYoof said:

It's done bloody well...20 months on from when I sold it with the DMF rattle.

Could the S60 get a silly cheap roffle send off?

Notwithstanding the issues, a £3 per ticket send off (or 4 for £10) would probably go down well. :-D

It normally would but the cat on it is currently worth £320 scrap so it makes it hard to justify a cheap roffle... ☹️

1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

It normally would but the cat on it is currently worth £320 scrap so it makes it hard to justify a cheap roffle... ☹️

Crikey, fair enough mate! :-D

At least it provided good service until the end, and selling it when I did put me on the road to owning my current car, which is a most splendid outcome.

15 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

How do you find out what they are worth? Just wondering like as to whether its worth breaking up the C8 or selling as a whole

You need the codes off the cat and access to a price guide, or an account with one of the bigger yards such as EMR.

Values are all over the place though...one digit on a code can be the difference between a £30 cat and a £400 one. 

Generally though, older cats from petrol models tend to be the highest value with Honda and some GM ones the best.

I know of a Accord Type R that had the cat stolen, it was enough to write-off a 2002 car (the very long wait for a replacement from Japan, quoted as a four figure sum and a lead time measured in months, may have influenced the decision)

The car lived on, I assume the new owner custom made something for it, or maybe an S2000 one fitted with some bodgery or something. 

Oh god. Err, thanks @eddyramrod . How photogenic? ?

Sorry for the lack of updates...it’s been a bit of a manic week to say the least. Having spent two days running around meeting various esteemed members of this forum, I found myself with a sudden influx of work at the garage so not a great deal of progress has been made.

The Laguna has since been out on loan, firstly to @skattrd for the day before being handed over to @snagglepuss (as Mrs NMs CLK which I lent him last week to use whilst I sorted his new 9-5 out actually ran out of MOT last week)

Obviously, I haven’t actually done anything with the 9-5 yet as I spent all my free time last week running around the country.

The remaining few hours of the week were spent on the P38 of much anguish trying (and failing) to bypass a faulty XYZ switch which is stopping the reverse solenoids on the auto transmission engaging, which in turn means the bloody thing is stuck on my four poster until a replacement arrives.

I did actually have the XJ8 on the ramp momentarily to assess the amount of welding required to acquire a fresh ticket. Thankfully, it doesn’t appear to be too much so hopefully that can be accomplished in the next week or two. God knows what I’m actually going to do with it then, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

After a week like that, it was great to relax on Saturday and binge watch a few American crime dramas with the better half.

It was during one of the many ad breaks that I left my iPad on the sofa whilst I went to put the kettle on. 

Upon my return, Claire had spotted the for sale post on another forum I was idly browsing.

‘That looks bloody cheap’ she said, pointing to the tablet screen. ‘Why don’t you message him? We could go and collect it tomorrow’

I really need to get around to marrying this girl....

C4D71DF2-1E43-46F1-8C59-DBD48F4685E8.jpeg.42692f6a259276aaee2c544c09f3368d.jpeg

A764271D-F900-496A-B17C-702D15A65737.jpeg.045bbde10bf382447e1e417c374b564d.jpeg

22 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

The remaining few hours of the week were spent on the P38 of much anguish trying (and failing) to bypass a faulty XYZ switch which is stopping the reverse solenoids on the auto transmission engaging, which in turn means the bloody thing is stuck on my four poster until a replacement arrives.

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg.34d0d791ffadb9b20ab26b914b18c55a.jpg

Actually that should be "Ha Ha" (Beep Beep Beep) :-)

25 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

After a week like that, it was great to relax on Saturday and binge watch a few American crime dramas with the better half.

It was during one of the many ad breaks that I left my iPad on the sofa whilst I went to put the kettle on. 

Upon my return, Claire had spotted the for sale post on another forum I was idly browsing.

‘That looks bloody cheap’ she said, pointing to the tablet screen. ‘Why don’t you message him? We could go and collect it tomorrow’

I really need to get around to marrying this girl....

C4D71DF2-1E43-46F1-8C59-DBD48F4685E8.jpeg.42692f6a259276aaee2c544c09f3368d.jpeg

A764271D-F900-496A-B17C-702D15A65737.jpeg.045bbde10bf382447e1e417c374b564d.jpeg

thats lovely

35 minutes ago, stuboy said:

thats lovely

21 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

Jammy sod! That looks the business!

I must admit, it’s far better than I could have hoped for from the advertisement.

It drives absolutely beautifully and is the top of the range SE Lux model. All it needs for the MOT is a rear anti-roll bar and drop links, both of which came with the car (genuine Volvo dealer parts), and a DEM ecu of which I happen to have two on the shelf. It also wears a full set of Hankook tyres which have only done 2k miles, cam belt and aux belt done 45k miles ago and came with a full history, all moulded rubber over mats including the boot and a genuine Volvo dog guard which lowers from the roof on gas struts.

The best offer the guy had was £250 from the local Volvo breakers...suffice to say I wish I could find one like this every month ?