Rover 800 Group save

Eyersey1234

8 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The Sierra has been a labour of love, and a lot of money. I’m still massively massively in negative equity territory, but I was confident it was the only UK example left. I’m even more confident of that fact now. It had to be saved, and I still feel that way about it now. I reckon it owes me alone £2,000. Probably more. Total outlay would be hovering around £3k now. 

I’m not saying any of this to dissuade anyone. But go into it eyes wide open. Old cars have an insatiable appetite for money, and you just have to shrug your shoulders and spend it. 

Completely get that, the Sierra was an actual going concern when you bought it it wasn’t one of thousands left and sat on bricks on a housing estate in Alfreton. 

A few of us (not just Cheggers) put reasonably serious sums into the Sierra.

There was a crowdfund after Bornite and I bought it, where many people freely donated a few quid, which helped, but it only added up to less than £200 and got consumed by just giving it a service.

And already people are shouting and name-calling about this Rover.  

Good luck.

The most fun to be had with this Rover is to get it running. Strip all interior, lights and sell them on if possible. Paint it beige. Enter it into a banger race. Lots will be drawn to see who gets to drive it. Weigh it in after and give the spoils to charity.

A great end for it, as one day it will be bean tins anyway so it may as well give smiles rather than stress and bickering.

Other opinions are available.

13 hours ago, Nyphur said:

What happened to that beige Citroen BX that everyone got a stiffy for a few years ago? As far as I know everyone lost interest after a couple of weeks and it sat for months, before being "resurrected" for a weekend then going to sit back in a garage again. The Sierra that @BorniteIdentity has/had only got rescued because he took it on as a mostly personal project and pumped a load of money into it (and @Cheggers helped out with the purchase fee as I recall) and made it a labour of love.

I remember that from the Hubnut video...would be interesting to see what the BX is up to now or its current state (just out of interest more than anything)

The beige BX is with Strangeangel and inching it's way towards an MOT.

Updates in his thread. 

https://autoshite.com/topic/24265-strangeangels-citroënic-shenanigans-featuring-the-autoshite-bx-ami-break-and-some-bikes-63-bx-has-shat-itself-why-the-aixam-shat-itself/page/17/#comments

My impression of the situation there is that many people chipped in for the small sum required to buy it in the first place, after which the number of people actually wanting to put any effort into fixing it dwindled to approx 1. 

That's likely to be the case for the rover, raising £250 or whatever to buy it is easy, everyone has paypal, actually storing and fixing it requires a bit more than that. 

2 hours ago, DarrenKC53 said:

I remember that from the Hubnut video...would be interesting to see what the BX is up to now or its current state (just out of interest more than anything)

Anyone interested in reading about the Beige BX's progress (believe it or not there has been some) can do so here.

I'd be lying if I said it's been plain sailing; it hasn't. But it's a great car and I'm determined that it will see the road again. To those of you thinking of taking on this Rover I would say this: look how long it's taken to get this far with the BX, and look how fucked that 800 is by comparison. If you want to do a group save there are far better & more deserving candidates than that wreck. But that's just my 2p worth, nothing for anyone to get excited about.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

The correct link to read about the Beige is in the post above. All you'll find there is me tearing apart the worst electric car the world has to offer while swearing a lot ?

Someone could always buy it and stash it somewhere just to prevent it’s scrapping. It’s not like it must be immediately returned to the road, plus the more time it’s stashed the more time you have to stumble across parts at a reasonable price. 

11 hours ago, Skizzer said:

A few of us (not just Cheggers) put reasonably serious sums into the Sierra.

There was a crowdfund after Bornite and I bought it, where many people freely donated a few quid, which helped, but it only added up to less than £200 and got consumed by just giving it a service.

And already people are shouting and name-calling about this Rover.  

Good luck.

If it wasn’t for your cool head, deep pockets and gay abandon, it would never have happened. The joy it brings my 7 year old is immeasurable, so thanks for that Marty. ? 

What a steaming turd of a thread this has turned into. If a few people want to try and save a car, where's the harm in that? It's like the old (pre-internet) days when all the frothers were complaining about voluntary donations to African kids or whatever. It's surely pretty simple that if you don't want to get involved (financially or with physical help) then don't. 

Get over yourselves.

Personally this probably the car I would have been least interested in saving (Maestro would always have been my pick, and if I had the time and resources I honestly would have given it a shot...but I simply have nowhere to put it!).

However it's out now against all the odds...my thoughts on it are that trying to get all the parts necessary to sort it is probably going to be bloody expensive - and do we even know what the original fault(s) with it were?  If the engine or gearbox are fundamentally stuffed surely that's game over?

Or is it?  It's been stored for God only knows how long in probably about the best conditions save for a climate controlled garage for staving off tin worm...well ventilated and under a roof, so I imagine the shell while scruffy in a few areas is fundamentally sound enough.

Would it be worth looking at this as an opportunity to rebody an existing good runner that's rotten as a pear?  I'm assuming of course that it's usually rust that kills these. 

The interior actually looks to be in astonishingly good nick aside from the bits that are obviously missing.  No wavy dashboard for one which must be bloody rare these days!

Still reckon it's a bit of a lost cause myself but I'll definitely watch with interest and would love to see it back on the road and on the show scene.  It would be a really good story piece for the shows if nothing else!

If I didn’t already have my own project which was definitely going to cost me more than it’ll probably ever be worth... 

If it was the Maestro I wouldn’t have been able to resist!

That said if this doesn’t get rescued there will be a lingering feeling of regret. If someone has the space and time I’d be happy to contribute a small amount...