Rover 800 Group save

Eyersey1234

It is tremendously difficult to run a group save. Everyone wants the same thing but also a different thing. You have to agree on everything and be prepared, absolutely inevitably, to stick more money in again. Resentment can build when some do that and some don’t/can’t. 

Can one or two of you buy it?

Anything can be saved (within reason) if somebody can be arsed doing the work and will shell out for the parts.

The issue here is that does anybody here have the free time/cash/space to sink into this 800 when a good runner is under a grand?

Then there is after its returned to the road and needs another £400 worth of work for the MOT. Will anybody want to shell out again?

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It is tremendously difficult to run a group save. Everyone wants the same thing but also a different thing. You have to agree on everything and be prepared, absolutely inevitably, to stick more money in again. Resentment can build when some do that and some don’t/can’t. 

Cornwall is a fair stretch from Coventry. There's no room at the inn, either. I'm happy to shove some money into a group pot though, but we need a member who is closer by and has or has links to storage. 

I don’t mind putting a few days hard graft into it, just look at that ST I’m rebuilding, doing it for the love. Coventry isn’t toooooo far away, but right now cash is something I don’t have a lot of. I think a lot of people are probably starting to tighten their belts with impending corona self isolation lack of wages outcome. 

Not me, I've got 3 cars already that require buckets of cash to be chucked at them constantly. This ain't a couple of hunnit quid save, it's a lot. As said, more complete and running cars can be bought for less than what this will command. As for love, I prefer the fastback, these... Meh and the engine is the wrong way around.

Looks like a typical tale of old car woe to me. If Rover 800s were any good it would be an easy save. Wheels are easy, drop glasses are easy, screen looks like it's £100 and bung the local Gavin £40 to glue it in. 

Yes, whoever does it could end up a grand into the thing but if they've any sense or car skills they'll have a working, rescued, fairly tidy 800 at the end of it. 

Which no doubt registers as "too salty". 

I despise Rover 800s so will be looking forward to the scenes involving a HIAB and the threads in three years saying how sad it was that nobody saved that Rover from that garage in the Midlands. 

27 minutes ago, Pete-M said:

Looks like a typical tale of old car woe to me. If Rover 800s were any good it would be an easy save. Wheels are easy, drop glasses are easy, screen looks like it's £100 and bung the local Gavin £40 to glue it in. 

Yes, whoever does it could end up a grand into the thing but if they've any sense or car skills they'll have a working, rescued, fairly tidy 800 at the end of it. 

Which no doubt registers as "too salty". 

This.

Those who are spouting about how 'it's fucked' and would 'cost too much to sort' really need to have a word with themselves. There are various threads on here where members readily talk about their ticked-up modern, which is undoubtedly costing £200+ per month, and where they have nothing to show for their spend at the end of it. Yet £1000 spent on a rare, unloved Rover 'is mental mate'. 

Sometimes I wish there was a forum for unusual, shonky, unloved old cars which deserve saving by people who aren't in it for the money. 

I’ve repaitlred and restored stuff for 20 plus years. This is fucked I’m afraid.

After wheels, tyres, windows, door cards, probably other stuff, you’ll be onto knackered hoses, gaskets, exhaust, fluids and all that else.

And you’ll be left with an Auto 800, which doesn’t have any real value, specialness or the simplicity to make it half way reliable or usable.

To me it’s only plus point is it’s stardom as an abandoned vehicle.

11 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

I’ve repaitlred and restored stuff for 20 plus years. This is fucked I’m afraid.

After wheels, tyres, windows, door cards, probably other stuff, you’ll be onto knackered hoses, gaskets, exhaust, fluids and all that else.

And you’ll be left with an Auto 800, which doesn’t have any real value, specialness or the simplicity to make it half way reliable or usable.

To me it’s only plus point is it’s stardom as an abandoned vehicle.

Why does it need to have real value?  

It 'doesn't have simplicity?' Seriously?  

I think I need to log off for the night because this place has gone mental. 

No, you’re correct the value shouldn’t matter. But that only works if someone loves it enough.

My parents had 3. Rover 800s, all Autos. They weren’t reliable 15 years ago. Don’t think years of abandonment and vandalism will help.

My parents have now had a Rover 75 for 16 years. That’s an excellent car, and it’s worth as a machine is way higher than its physical value in ££s.

I know I've done mad things to save old cars in the past, gone to extreme lengths to keep an old car alive to just to enjoy driving the thing a few times. Plenty of us in here do and have done the same. If it was a solid P5, P6 V8 or SD1 V8 I'd be on the way to collect now. 

Issue is, I never really liked 800s. Been there, done that, didn't really enjoy it, don't want to do it again. 

They're a decent looking car, but there's a reason there aren't many left. 

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

This.

Those who are spouting about how 'it's fucked' and would 'cost too much to sort' really need to have a word with themselves. There are various threads on here where members readily talk about their ticked-up modern, which is undoubtedly costing £200+ per month, and where they have nothing to show for their spend at the end of it. Yet £1000 spent on a rare, unloved Rover 'is mental mate'. 

Sometimes I wish there was a forum for unusual, shonky, unloved old cars which deserve saving by people who aren't in it for the money. 

No, I don't need to have a word m9. Clearly you've a polar opposite to me on what this car needs. People have shown both sides for the advertised 'group save' which I would if I thought it was worth it. Ill offer to shake hands and call time on any input on this discussion. You know where I'm at with it. Wish you all the best with it pal 

Not sure why people are against folk trying to save an unloved car, citing "it's fucked, it's not worth it financially" etc.

Am i on the wrong fucking website here?, I thought this was autoshite, where economic sense went out the window and the sort of mentalness of spending £ on a car nobody else would was "normal".

I’m not against fixing it, it won’t make me upset if someone does.

As for money, this site to me is not about that. But supposed a few people raise the (probably thousands) £££, what do you do with it when saved?

Keep it forever? Rent it out? There’s ongoing storage and maintenance to pay and organise, all the issues all car enthusiasts have to deal with themselves personally (I know I do). I’d guess it would get sold or raffled around til a big failure sends it to the bridge.

I think it’s the complication of a group of people getting together financially on it, and then staying together financially once the bills come in. It hasn’t moved for a decade or more, even if it was mint to look at it would still need consumables, pads, tyres, various flexi hoses etc. 

Obv £250 and then some windows and wheels from a breakers yard are cheap enough amongst multiple people, but what if all of that is done, and say, another, £150 on a windscreen, and another £200 on filters, brake parts etc, and at the end of the thick end of £800 or so the auto box is fubar? 

If it’s one or even two people involved, the decision to continue spending or not is pretty simple, if it’s six or eight people it’s not.

From the posts in this thread, it sounds like an 800 fan looked at it a year ago and decided against buying it, so it’s not going to be an easy task getting it back on the road.

Why is it even being discussed?  If you don't want to put your money in the pot then don't.  If you do, then do.   That's as complicated as this really gets.

Whoever gets invested in this will understand the risks, the lack of returns, the fact it could all go to shit even with the best of intentions.  Pretty sure nobody needs lecturing on what the thing is worth, or how difficult a prospect it is.

If nothing else, I'm hoping the group save goes ahead purely out of spite.  You can get a lot done with a bit of spite and bloody mindedness, you'd be amazed.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

I had three mates in an old job where one fell out with the other two over costs in a rescued old starlet turbo.  The project needed welding work that spiraled out of control with costs. 

It's not for me. 

However, in staying that. It'd be nice to see this saved. And if there's enough there to take it on I would be happy to chip a few pounds into their communal pot in a one time help out if they get it on their hands. Wouldn't be expecting anything out of it. 

I can't get involved in the repairs / storage side of things due to having no space and the most impractical daily routine imaginable by normal folk, but count me in among the "I will throw a little bit of cash into this" posse.

This is on the basis that, when it's back on the road, I get to drive it for a weekend. Accordingly, I'll sponsor the project by the equivalent value of the weekend's hire of a BMW 5 series.

In fact, if we were all to be really sensible about this, the share that we put in (say my £50 equated to 5% of the final cost of the project) could be the share that we get back at the end (e.g. 5% of whatever it eventually sells for).

Basically a really shit and dubiously sustainable version of Wall Street. I'm all for it.

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

It’s all well and good saying money shouldn’t come into it but let’s get a handle on this, it’s a Rover 820 Auto that’s missing a load of bits and was fucked when it was laid up 20 years ago. Some of us actually do have more important things to chuck money at than bottomless pits like this. 

Well no surprise that's your thoughts now is it as that's all you spout,  take a look at the forum you are on and what it's called and I think you will find it isn't Bangernomics so fuck off with you scrap it and move on mindset.

I just had a feeling this thread would go this way,  could you imagine if everyone thought that way we wouldn't have any car shows at all, you know the shows where the old guy sits behind his car proudly displaying a board full of pics of the car looking rather sorry for itself, yes he ploughed in a lot of coin even before it was valuable, it's not always about the money.

14 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

Well no surprise that's your thoughts now is it as that's all you spout,  take a look at the forum you are on and what it's called and I think you will find it isn't Bangernomics so fuck off with you scrap it and move on mindset.

I just had a feeling this thread would go this way,  could you imagine if everyone thought that way we wouldn't have any car shows at all, you know the shows where the old guy sits behind his car proudly displaying a board full of pics of the car looking rather sorry for itself, yes he ploughed in a lot of coin even before it was valuable, it's not always about the money.

I’ll watch on in interest then as you restore it. 

I also wasn’t aware that you aren’t allowed to post thoughts that didn’t correlate with other people’s.