1981 Princess 2 1700 HL

Alex 'Wedge'

The other week, I received an email regarding a free Princess 2 1700HL. The car is just down the road from me, and it seemed silly not to go and see it.

I went to see this car last weekend, and met the lovely owners who are sadly having to part with it due to an impending move. A car that has been in the family for years and I know they are sad to see it go.

The car: a 1981 X reg Reynard 1700HL. It was in daily use up until early this year (MOT only ran out in May). Needless to say I am getting it!

Body - good. Some minor areas needed from initial inspection but overall very sound indeed. Vinyl panels need removing/replacing (I will decide later).

Engine - very good. Sweet sounding O series, but looks like there is a Crankshaft oil seal leak. Clutch also takes up a bit high so first jobs on the list are to get them sorted/

Interior - not bad at all. Sadly the seats have suffered some sun damage in the usual places. I am thinking eventually this will get a Rover 800 set of seats fitted.

First steps are to appraise what else needs doing, and then get it through an MOT.

MOT is first priority as is making it oil tight. Then the cosmetics can be looked at.

Here are some pictures of it. I think it is a lovely old car and I know it will come up extremely well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It comes with a boot full of spares...

Posted Image

Vinyl panels need sorting (why is it the brown ones always go tatty?).

Posted Image

This will be a fun winter project and at the moment I am debating how to go forward - full on resto to original standard, or keep as is and just enjoy, or perhaps a full on resto but some modifications. It will be good deciding :D

And TODAY it arrived....

IT IS HERE!

This morning I went over to Ottery, and met the lovely people who are passing the Wedge over to me. I fitted a new battery and the car fired up immediately.

A few short moments later the distinctive tone of a tow truck engine came into earshot.

Some pictures of the moment it was collected:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tow truck followed me and dad back to the barn and it was duly unloaded:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, the reversing lights do not seem to work! :lol:

After the tow truck left, I pumped up the tyres (which are all nearly new!) and it now resides in the barn.

First steps are to let it dry out (sitting outside for the best part of 10 months without use has seen it get a tad damp - not too bad though), then give it a good thorough appraisal as to what needs doing.

Initial signs are good, I am thrilled with this dear old car. Poor photo follows, but here it is in its new resting place:

Posted Image

Yes it has an oil leak! :lol:

LET THE PRINCESSTORATION COMMENCE.

Posted Image

What a great photo. Rusting "Cash Paid For End Of Life Vehicles" Transit with Leyland grot on the back - GR8 4 FOOLING PEOPLE INTO THINKIN GRANDADS POPPED HIS CLOGS AND THE KIDS ARE HAVING HIS CAR KRUSHD :lol:

I like Reynard, it's a lovely colour when it's on top form. One day I would love to have a Wedge in my fleet.I have to say that the saggy brown draylon seat material sums up everything that was bad about BL interiors unfortunately though; I well remember sitting on that stuff as a kid!

Can't beat a bit of Reynard. That was a 1978-80 colour so that 'Cess was a bit of new old stock. I bet that was made in 1979! They were never a great seller and the Princess 2 struggled to sell after the Princess 1 debacle.That interior is truly ghastly though. The rear vinyl C pillar trims need to be renewed unless you're after that Princess L look - you'll need the chrome hubcaps for that. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Right, long dead thread resurrection-time, and reality check.I got this nice old car with the very best of intentions, but reality says I don't think I am really going to ever get this off the ground.It is sat quite happy in the barn and doing no harm, but I really am of the view that it is not really going to get done any time soon.It cost me nowt. All I have done since collection is polish it (it actually came up quite well). Theoretically would anyone be interested in it? I have absolutely not made any final decisions yet, but I am just putting the feelers out to see if anyone would like to take it on as a light resto.It would be a case of "come and get it, and take it away".