Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - Steering wheel restoration 3/9/22

Angrydicky

Two days until I go to Holland now. Exciting but quite nervous.

Both the steering wheel and gearknob had fallen apart with the UV light as they always do. I decided to send them off for a very expensive refurb at a place in Kent (Myrtle Ltd) that was recommended to me by a friend.

I’ve gone for a slight custom job here, they have refurbed the steering wheel in cream to match the gear knob and switches, and I’ve painted the centre and the gear lever metallic gold to match the instruments.

To be fair they did a lovely job and quick too (inside a week) and I’m over the moon with the results!

Originally all this was a dull dark brown which didn’t do the car any favours IMO (the Atlantic, which has the same dash, has a cream steering wheel).

The trafficator switch needs a bit more work, under the brown paint it’s brown Bakelite which I’m going to try cutting and polishing. But you get the idea.

F3F2EED5-ABAD-4C7D-A0C8-08C2349F836E.thumb.jpeg.3caf61e3638fae14d09aa9163b8dfeab.jpeg

DE5197E4-533C-4C26-B31D-C0A7B550A8FB.thumb.jpeg.ab8c4edf8d2c6692033e05976aee39c4.jpeg

89E53EF8-8E61-44ED-B7F8-285EF04DD333.thumb.jpeg.9fa8c18cc4874d0a8ca0d1152708bb33.jpeg

2D155781-5612-45B2-8CF4-15A9FBB734FF.thumb.jpeg.aaf1d87031a1688ba6681652547acf21.jpeg

65EEAF70-E94D-44F1-895C-EBF868409262.jpeg.430647a6c4bd51c88ae577487b2cccfd.jpeg

46B0C1A5-3399-4A7B-8A54-CED12693DC35.thumb.jpeg.f8461d26553c6d75bf29f9080401b3b6.jpeg

C06F3721-9207-409D-8827-617D3B4BC960.thumb.jpeg.eaf20a2a09f05a71ab944b7c8cfa4859.jpeg

056C9691-AFD4-4245-9D42-65473D4465E6.thumb.jpeg.3ad350ef0e5d68a318c4ae0502bf6383.jpeg

E1287701-27D9-485F-813F-FA9AF9758898.thumb.jpeg.5b70564ebd22a2251407aece87746790.jpeg

• Angrydicky changed the title to Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - Steering wheel restoration 3/9/22
31 minutes ago, Matty said:

Daft as it sounds it's always good to have finishing touches like that to spur you on part way through. Be some thing when it's finished 👌

Are you calling me daft? Well yes actually I am.

Due to space constraints I want to get the body fitted as soon as possible and connect everything back up again. So it’s not that far off being roadworthy. I’ve done a lot of this work the wrong way around so mechanically it’s all ready to go, all the brakes and cooling system are done etc, balljoints and suspension checked, greased and replaced where necessary, just need to get the rear shocks rebuilt and buy a replacement antiroll bar as this one is badly bent/twisted. Must have done some serious rolling at some point!

Still in two minds over the paint, on one hand I just want to get it back on the road and enjoy it without months of rubbing down, but there is a lot of surface rust coming through. 
I’ve just fitted a new seal to the replacement steering box so that’s all ready to fit once the body is on.

Just now, Angrydicky said:

in two minds over the paint, on one hand I just want to get it back on the road and enjoy it without months of rubbing down, but there is a lot of surface rust coming through. 

Could you not oil it or similar to give you a bit of breathing space? That way you could get a bit of use out the car and do the prep and paint when you've had a break?

Just now, Angrydicky said:

Yeah but oiling the paint is the last thing you want to do if you’re planning to paint it at some point, it gets everywhere and is difficult to remove every trace, and it only takes a bit to ruin the new paint!

Aye, was a bit thick now I think about it 🤣

It's lovely to see all your top quality work on a car that would often be overlooked.

Regarding the leaky steering box, P4s suffer the same problem and I was pointed to a product by Penrite (steering box lube) which is a specially designed semi solid grease that stops the leaks.  I put it in my P4 10 years ago and no issues since.

Good luck on your journey!

19 minutes ago, Surface Rust said:

It's lovely to see all your top quality work on a car that would often be overlooked.

Regarding the leaky steering box, P4s suffer the same problem and I was pointed to a product by Penrite (steering box lube) which is a specially designed semi solid grease that stops the leaks.  I put it in my P4 10 years ago and no issues since.

Good luck on your journey!

Read “always overlooked” I often get asked which classic cars I have and you can sense the disappointment/person losing interest the moment I say that I’m restoring an Austin A70 Hampshire. They’re ridiculously unloved!

In fact, come to think of it, the only car of mine that tends to elicit any enthusiasm from your average MG/Stag/Jag owning classic car owner is my A35 and that’s only because of the historic racing series (which I have no interest in).

That’s a good tip about the steering box. I thought it would be a cork seal in there so was quite surprised to see the old seal was quite similar to a modern rotary shaft seal. The new one was a bit tight to fit as the corner of the casing has had a knock at some point, but I managed to drift it in ok using a drop of oil to help it slide. Seems oil tight so far. I bought the seal from AH Spares along with a new brass olive which seals the bottom of the steering box where the wires for the trafficator switch go. I’ve currently got it bunged up with a rubber grommet for testing purposes.

21 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Due to space constraints I want to get the body fitted as soon as possible and connect everything back up again. So it’s not that far off being roadworthy. I’ve done a lot of this work the wrong way around so mechanically it’s all ready to go, all the brakes and cooling system are done etc, balljoints and suspension checked, greased and replaced where necessary, just need to get the rear shocks rebuilt and buy a replacement antiroll bar as this one is badly bent/twisted. Must have done some serious rolling at some point!

Do let me know if you want another pair of hands when it comes to body on, I'm only 10 mins down the road from you!

17 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Wow, we are close to each other, no more than two villages away. Do you attend the Stickney autojumble? I went to the last one, was quite a good turnout I thought.

I do go when work and life allows.  Unfortunately if I've come off of nights, I'll sleep right through the Autojumble!  

• 2 months later...
Just now, Joey spud said:

There's a lot of good guys that have drifted away or now post very infrequently who were doing some heroic stuff to some seriously wrecked machinery.

It certainly makes me look at a lot of the content on autoshite a wonder if after ten years I fit in anymore.

What your doing definatly fits in with what I like pal if that helps

15 hours ago, Joey spud said:

There's a lot of good guys that have drifted away or now post very infrequently who were doing some heroic stuff to some seriously wrecked machinery.

It certainly makes me look at a lot of the content on autoshite a wonder if after ten years I fit in anymore.

This forum has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned, ruined by excessive moderation and various shouty people with big egos and politically correct mentalities. And barely an old car between them.

TDW is like a breath of fresh air in comparison, and it’s really busy.