Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - Steering wheel restoration 3/9/22

Angrydicky

5 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

This forum has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned, ruined by excessive moderation and various shouty people with big egos and politically correct mentalities. And barely an old car between them.

Yes I can mostly relate to that view too. 

There's a lot of weak (I'm being polite) content washing around the place nowadays.Having a 20,000+ post count doesn't necessarily mean your content or viewpoint is thererfore better than that from a new guy who posts infrequently (quality not quantity anyone?).

The front page used to be rammed with projects and progress reports.

The effort you put into chasing down long obsolete parts for this old Austin is impressive.So too are all the images you take time to post up not forgetting your knowledgeable write ups too.

I feel there is just a tiny dark corner of Autoshite left now for the lovers of genuine old tat.

Then again I may be totally wrong and i haven't been hanging around wearing my rose tinted specs in vain hoping the place would return to better times after all.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:16 AM, Angrydicky said:

Read “always overlooked” I often get asked which classic cars I have and you can sense the disappointment/person losing interest the moment I say that I’m restoring an Austin A70 Hampshire. They’re ridiculously unloved!

In fact, come to think of it, the only car of mine that tends to elicit any enthusiasm from your average MG/Stag/Jag owning classic car owner is my A35 and that’s only because of the historic racing series (which I have no interest in).

That’s a good tip about the steering box. I thought it would be a cork seal in there so was quite surprised to see the old seal was quite similar to a modern rotary shaft seal. The new one was a bit tight to fit as the corner of the casing has had a knock at some point, but I managed to drift it in ok using a drop of oil to help it slide. Seems oil tight so far. I bought the seal from AH Spares along with a new brass olive which seals the bottom of the steering box where the wires for the trafficator switch go. I’ve currently got it bunged up with a rubber grommet for testing purposes.

AH Spares is right next to where I lived (until yesterday). If you ever want me to pick something up and store it, just ask.

4 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

This forum has gone to shit as far as I’m concerned, ruined by excessive moderation and various shouty people with big egos and politically correct mentalities. And barely an old car between them.

TDW is like a breath of fresh air in comparison, and it’s really busy.

Other views are available.

I love this forum, whether it's different to the 'olden days' I don't know. The forum has helped me out in myriad ways; advice, parts finding or often just moral support/shoulder to cry on. 

I would like to be included in the 'politically correct' sweep of your statement, and FWIW my cars are 13, 22 and 34 years old.

Long live the beige pages.

I’ve been here since 2009. I was 18 then. I’m 31 now. That’s a big part of my life and for a long time I was addicted and checked the forum several times a day. There were some brilliant threads back then.

I’m glad you still enjoy it Grogee. It’s nice to do things that give us pleasure. I’ll still look occasionally but don’t get the pleasure out of it that I used to. I used to dismiss people who left as flouncers, and I don’t want to be considered as such, but I felt I needed to put my point across.

• 7 months later...