Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - Hampshire parts required 11/4/21

9 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

There is a pair of these languishing in a barn not far from where I live, which I spotted while covering a dust round (staff shortages).

I can pop over there and leave a note but TBH I doubt you'd get any kind of response.

What a find! They have the appearance of Ozzie or NZ imports possibly. Wonder what the story is there?

9 hours ago, Jon said:

I have nothing much to say, except that I look forward to every update, love the preservation and definitely think this couldn't be in better hands. I really hope the Counties club welcome you with open arms and respect that you're likely their strongest candidate for keeping these things alive in The Future

And here's a ute conversion I spotted a few years ago at Horopito scrap yard.

34838582613_80269e051f_z.jpg

Everything's for sale (at a price...), so if there's any bits you may see of use from what's left of the bodywork, I should be local to it later in the year, so let me know. Assuming it's still there, of course!

Hi Jon! Thank you for your kind words. I've been a member of the ACCC since I was 19 in 2011 and they have always been very friendly and supportive towards me. I have already had a lot of excellent advice from several people. Two people say they have decent secondhand steering wheels (awaiting pics and prices) but it's the body panels I'll struggle with.

I think pretty much the only thing I could use off that ute would be the drivers door, but I hate to think how much it would cost to get sent to the UK from NZ. It's a really kind offer though!

@Mat.T's mate with the British car collection invaded by urbexers is also the proud owner of two Hampshires. All these cars are in better condition than mine so you can see why the club thought it made a bit more sense to break LOB up to get some more solid ones back on the road. 

So currently, the spare parts required list stands thus:

Steering wheel. This is the same as GS2 Devons up to about 1950.

Bonnet release 'T' type handle - same as Atlantic and probably A40 Sports

Good drivers door - the other three doors are fairly easy repairs but the drivers door is totally shot

I also need one sill trim, and the pieces of trim that go on the bottom of the rear wings, either side of the rear wheel spats. 

If anyone on here does have leads on these parts or happen to know any other Hampshire owners they could get the word out with I'd be very grateful. I'm fortunate there's very little missing from this car, which makes it much more viable.

• Angrydicky changed the title to Dicky’s Disastrous Debris - Hampshire parts required 11/4/21
14 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

@Mat.T's mate with the British car collection invaded by urbexers is also the proud owner of two Hampshires. All these cars are in better condition than mine so you can see why the club thought it made a bit more sense to break LOB up to get some more solid ones back on the road. 

2 Hampshires and a Hereford that he some times turns up at work in!

Interesting thread and great save. I knew nothing about these cars until very recently..

3 minutes ago, Mat.T said:

2 Hampshires and a Hereford the he some times turns up at work in!

Interesting thread and great save. I knew nothing about these cars until very recently..

Please feel free to show him the pictures of mine!

I have done, I emailed him the link to this thread.

This was the response: 

Thanks Matthew, what a great find and cooperative people along the way helped save the car. At least the old owner had carefully stored it.
I bought the green one off EBay, when it came up. I was told by the vendor the only other interested party had only wanted it to rob the rear axle off it for an Atlantic !
As soon as I made contact with the seller to arrange collection he announced he had another one, the white one ( slightly more complete) so I did a deal for the second one too !
I thought there might be more chance of success getting one or other of them going. As it is they are both much the same and pretty well complete.
The green one was missing its radiator fan and I tracked one of those down. Blooming expensive but given the story, they are in demand by the Austin Healey brigade ! They also buy up the A70 engine blocks as they can be bored out to the larger size for the Healeys. Reputedly ! The classic car racing scene means there is a demand for them, apparently.
Back a few years, even rusty old Atlantics might be at risk, as the Healey boys were just after the engines !
Hence the rarity.
I wouldn't agree they are lumbering old things. They are reasonable performers, gas guzzlers yes, but that's only by unfair comparison to modern engines.
Their presence on the road is amazing as they are as big as SUVs so you aren't intimidated by meeting stuff coming the other way ! Who wants to be hit by such an old tank !
Ha ha !

Gumtree's message format sucks balls. I inadvertently sent him the generic format "Hello I'm interested in your item" message before realising what had happened ffs. But I have succeeded in asking him what other bits he has, via a second message.

I've now got leads on three potential steering wheels for this old crock. All of whom have to find them, take pictures and decide on prices. So far, none have materialised!