1999 Modified R17 827

Alex 'Wedge'

Recently I purchased this vehicle, a very unusual car in itself (before you consider the modifications) in that it is a 1999 registered (V plate) 827 SLi. I call it my "XX-17" purely because it has an XX bonnet and the car is an R17. OK, yeah that is a bit of a naff name, but hey.

Anyway, this thing was built some time in 1994, and sat around for ages before being sold. I have no idea why, but that is what happened! The more I dig into this car the more I think it was some sort of development hack. If only I could find out.

It is unusual in that it seems to have the later post 1996 suspension (it feels so taught and tight, not floppy like early R17s usually are).

Anyway, this is a Marmite car in that some will love, and some will detest what has been done (personally I love it so don't give a whatsit!) - The previous owner fitted it with a Mk1 bonnet, grille and lights. He also fitted an interior out of a dead 825 Sterling KV6.

This is a picture of the back end of it when the last owner was doing the conversion:

Posted Image

And this is the lurrrrrvly interior it had when he got it:

Posted Image

Both pics courtesy of the last owner.

Anyway. I have since bought it and done a few bits.

These include:

* Resolder fuse box

* Wire in the electric front seats

* Repair leaking a/c (was a holed pipe)

* Repaint the rear bumper

* Damn good valet

* Fit clear side repeater lights and smoked post-96 style rear lights

* Fit R950 Stereo and CD changer

* Fit new dash and clock woodwork

* Thorough polish and cutback.

The overall results have been very pleasing. What I have left to do is ideally find a replacement bootlid (has had less than good paintwork in the past, and a replacement is easier - in the meantime it has polished up reasonably), and get the cambelt and water pump changed on it.

Here are the results of work to date.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Future modifications may include painting the lower half grey (as per XX), but I am undecided on that yet. I also intend to fit footwell lights off an XX, and the "big" XX trip computer. These are jobs for the future.

In the meantime this car will be used and unless something else comes along is my daily transport, giving the Vitesse XX a well deserved rest!

It's.... umm.... different :? Still, looks very well loved, as do all your toys. I ahve just noticed that these Rovers have three proper seat belts in the rear. That is handy. Going 'on the list'. There's a tidy looking 820 Turbo for sale near me. Maybe it is time....