Base spec absolute misery

sierraman

The Dacia Access models aren't that basic really. Fuel injection, 16 valves, rev counter, four doors, electric front windows, remote central locking, rear wiper, fabric seats, pre-wired for stereo, five speed box etc would have been top spec not so long ago.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

The Dacia Access models aren't that basic really. Fuel injection, 16 valves, rev counter, four doors, electric front windows, remote central locking, rear wiper, fabric seats, pre-wired for stereo, five speed box etc would have been top spec not so long ago.

Absolutely. 

Now the difference between trim levels probably revolves around connectivity and interior mood lighting. There are probably still give aways such as different patterns of alloys or base gets wheel trims and boring trim. 

11 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Vauxhall seemed to like having more spaces for switches than there could ever be switches to fill them.   This is the top of the range Royale in 1980, complete with three prominent switch blanks:

2020-03-07_07-40-54.thumb.jpg.3b4b0121910a8190efb268135cff0bca.jpg

Yep, I remember the blanks from the one my parents owned in 1985-86! Theirs was a 2800 from 1979 that did not have the air conditioning, however iirc there was a switch for that to the right of the steering column. He also had the brochure with it too that pointed this out.

God, I miss that car.  :cry:

In 1982 the first car I drove professionally was a Granada 2.8 Gaia X  that had luxurious velour seats with full electric adjustment , an electric tilt and slide sunroof, cigar lighters and ashtrays front and rear , torch in the key ,nicely felt trimmed coin holders . And a certain prestige that somehow wasn’t tarnished by Fiesta Pops or rusty  Transits.

In 2020 I drive a Mercedes e220 Cdi SE Blue Efficiency that has nasty plastic seats, that are only half electric and have no lumbar adjustment, no sunroof, cigarette lighter, ashtray, key torch, coin holder, felt linings to oddment trays. Any prestige that the badge ever had is devalued every time another PCP is signed up on another AMG Line Astra lookalike even though rich chavs are still willing to sign up for lots more on £100k depreciation time bombs.

Progress?

19 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

The Sierra Laser was very popular in 84/85, so much so Ford brought out a Laser II in '86. From memory it was as well specced in real world terms as a GL and cost only a few quid more than an L. The 2.0 version was a very good car and Ford got the colours/trim/spec bang on the money.

The facelift Laser just didn't take off - bizarre.

1984 Laser, with the small headlights and slatted grille:

2020-03-08_11-47-35.thumb.jpg.3e607adcbbd64ca80d0936480155869f.jpg

1986 Laser II with the flush nose:

2020-03-08_11-47-51.thumb.jpg.24ad02f56fb0c0760fa812cfd632022f.jpg

1990 Laser, which was the lowest trim level:

2020-03-08_11-48-06.thumb.jpg.134e0546630e3217d365668ee30bfb16.jpg

2020-03-08_11-50-32.thumb.jpg.1efb6ac4fa6706ed59fe387d1a08b362.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

The GL added little of real value, just cosmetic stuff and the 2000 engine option. We had a Fjord blue 2000 GL back in 1980 with the three speed auto box. Wasn't a bad car and a typical Ford. Not exciting but sturdy, well built and reliable.

Ghias were nicely trimmed though. I bought a four speed X plate 2000 Ghia Capri in that medium metallic blue around 1990, mint one owner low mileage. That tall centre console was handy and the seats were excellent. Lots of extras sound deadening to drown out the old Pinto. ?

You forget the all important G on the back, no longer are you base model peasant! the extras were not amazing but nice to have and especially for such a small amount of money. At the moment I can’t find a single other example of a 1.6L with metallic paint from the factory. Mine is a very rare (read unpopular) Imperial red paint as well. Sadly the DVLA will no longer give you a list of previous owners so impossible to be sure but it could well have been a demonstrator. It has three previous owners to me, the second was a guy in Stoke who ‘had it from new’ according to the guy I got it from. That would fit with it being a showroom car as well. The extra £18 got you better looking seats (but the same underneath), chrome bright rings on the wheels, the centre console, slightly better stereo (with a cassette no less), so you would think most people would spend that extra few quid (equivalent of about £50 in today’s money). And possibly carpet bits in the parcel shelf but can’t be sure as whilst it says that in one of the brochures I have I have never seen one without them in any Capri.

Its not particularly a car of Autoshite yet but my 2011 Citroen C1 is actually top spec. It still feels quite poverty sometimes though. Manually adjustable door mirrors, I have to keep my finger on the button to open my window as the driver ect. If I were to have gone for poverty spec however I could have marvelled at the non colour coded door mirrors and trim, a lack of aircon, a lack of electric windows and a lack of central locking

47 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

You forget the all important G on the back, no longer are you base model peasant! the extras were not amazing but nice to have and especially for such a small amount of money. At the moment I can’t find a single other example of a 1.6L with metallic paint from the factory. Mine is a very rare (read unpopular) Imperial red paint as well. Sadly the DVLA will no longer give you a list of previous owners so impossible to be sure but it could well have been a demonstrator. It has three previous owners to me, the second was a guy in Stoke who ‘had it from new’ according to the guy I got it from. That would fit with it being a showroom car as well. The extra £18 got you better looking seats (but the same underneath), chrome bright rings on the wheels, the centre console, slightly better stereo (with a cassette no less), so you would think most people would spend that extra few quid (equivalent of about £50 in today’s money). And possibly carpet bits in the parcel shelf but can’t be sure as whilst it says that in one of the brochures I have I have never seen one without them in any Capri.

The only Ford Cars I have to hand , without going out to the magazine shed, are October 76 and March 86. obviously the 86 one is just Laser or 2.8 Special, but the 76 lists 1300 bASe , L, GL , S and Ghia.

The jump from base to L brings; Sports wheels, reclining seats, split rear folding seats, boot carpet and bright finish to window surrounds and door mirror .

The GL adds halogen headlights, tailgate wash wipe, a clock and trinket tray, carpet on lower doors, chrome trim rings on the wheels, chrome strips down the side, and a push button mw/lw radio.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

The first Sandero Access didn’t have remote central locking... 

Wow... looking at those Ford Sierra Laser brochures...don't think I've ever seen the later style instruments without the rev counter.  That clock just looks so out of place!

Still love the base instrument cluster from the earlier models with the comedically huge warning lights for the seatbelts and indicstors (or at least looking like they did, even though the actual lit area was pretty normal).

On 3/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, Tamworthbay said:

My best mates Mum had one, we didn’t even have a car as Dad had a motorbike, but it still felt shit. They were a depressing car when you look at the opposition. The Dolomite could be argues to be a step back from the FWD predecessor but the styling was gorgeous and they drive beautifully, the Acclaim was a step back in most ways from the Dolomite. The end of the great Triumph name sadly.

I think they were a good improvement on the OHV Dolly, the OHC were a different sort of car...

I'll agree my Dolomite 1300 is prettier, handles better, and rides smoother on rough roads, but the heater is abysmal, it's slower, noisier, less economical, the engine is less refined, the car is undergeared, it needs serviced twice as often, build quality is suspect, nothing fits properly and long distance trips are a chore. A good car for 1965, hilariously antiquated for 1980.

My Dolly 1850 was more a driver's car but was a fucking nightmare in all other regards. Rampant rot, engineering decisions that made it impossible to work on, hilarious panel gaps, it refused to run cool, the carbs wouldn't stay in tune, bits of the interior just fell off. When it was running it was great fun but it spent the vast majority of time in my ownership in my parent's garage partially dismantled. Before I bought it the car had spent most of it's time in the PO's garage partially dismantled... I reckon it was also slower than the Acclaim in real terms but just felt faster because of the volume and the feeling that the car was going to disintegrate, certainly driving it in the manner which fetches 40+ mpg from the Tronda netted 32mpg at best... 

The Acclaim is a good appliance, I find it quite dull, but it's so good at being an car despite being nearly 40 years old I can forgive it that! It'd be nice if it was a higher spec though, I miss headrests, and a dipping mirror... The L was actually a poverty spec only introduced for 1983 for a couple of years, I'm not quite sure why unless BL wanted to try and press into the fleet car market or something...

3 hours ago, rantingYoof said:

A few 'misery' spec cars I'd love to experience...

• Peugeot 405 1.4
  • Skoda Octavia 1.4
  • Skoda Fabia estate 1.1
  • Vauxhall Omega 2.0 8v (Select)
  • 2001 (X-plate) Volvo V70 Mk2 in Torslanda spec (i.e. maximum blanking plates, cloth seats), and with the 140hp 2.4 where power and torque is all delivered at unusably high revs

@Supernaut's 1995 BMW 316i is also a very alluring prospect.

I don't know why I find these older cars in miserable, underpowered spec so appealing yet I get irrationally wound up by moderns with small capacity lower powered engines (turbo charged or not).

The 316i doesn't seem underpowered, though.

It's not downright fast, by any means, but it's got that lovely 8-valve grunt and responsiveness. I've also been driving it long enough now to  know how to wring every last mph out of it and just how hard I can corner to preserve momentum. :D

It also has electric front windows, power steering, a rev counter, a full 4-speaker stereo system, a toolkit in the boot lid, and central locking (not remote). It also sits at motorway speeds perfectly happily, and is somewhat refined while doing so.

At some point I'd like a properly big saloon car but in base spec. Luxury isn't tied to how many gadgets a car has, just how quiet it is and how squishy the suspension is. I'm also turning to the Junkman school of thinking and I think leather is a sub-optimal material for seats. Cloth / velour all the way!

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The only Ford Cars I have to hand , without going out to the magazine shed, are October 76 and March 86. obviously the 86 one is just Laser or 2.8 Special, but the 76 lists 1300 bASe , L, GL , S and Ghia.

The jump from base to L brings; Sports wheels, reclining seats, split rear folding seats, boot carpet and bright finish to window surrounds and door mirror .

The GL adds halogen headlights, tailgate wash wipe, a clock and trinket tray, carpet on lower doors, chrome trim rings on the wheels, chrome strips down the side, and a push button mw/lw radio.

Quite a few things, some worth having, some less so but well worth the upgrade money. Mine hasn’t got the rear wash wipe and has also not got the opening rear windows that both my GL and Ghia’s had. 

40 minutes ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

I remember it now, was mainly on Sierra Ghias and Granadas. I've never seen a Capri that colour.

Nor have I, a few people in the Capri club remember seeing them but as far as I can tell it may well be the last one left in that colour.