1975 Wolseley 18-22 "Wedge"

Alex 'Wedge'

I bought it in 2001 and did, shall we say, a bit of work on it. I had a fair bit of restoration done including respray and new panels. It was completed in 2002.

The pictures can do the talking I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And taken in the heart of deepest darkest Dorset in June.

Posted Image

When I took the photo I did not see that the front hub centre had gone missing. Fortunately I had a spare, so that was fitted easily enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you like the pics.

Over this winter the odd thing needs doing, but come the spring it will be out once again IN FORCE.

I adore this car, and despite it going wrong all the time, breaking down, and generally being a true Leyland, I will NEVER sell it.

Thanks for looking.

Such a fine looking car the Wedge, very easy on the eye. I still think the Austin version with the Trapezoidal lights was the best looker.I had two 1975 Wedges. One was a late 1974 build (pre production) Glacier white Morris 1800 and the other was chassis number 1, a Flamenco red Austin 1800HL - the first ever production 18/22 built. Both were rescued from the same Oxfordshire breakers in 1995 and belong to Nick Larkin.

i remember when larkin got chassis number one, looked like it was way,way too far gone to save. know if he ever did anything with it? or is it just sitting in a lock-up still?also, how many of these wolsley versions are left? i thought i read it was something silly like 9, but that was a few years back.

As far as I'm aware, it's still in the barn. It was very rusty though (unusual for a Wedge) and the engine smoked like a bastard. It was registered in 1976/7 on an R plate because it spent the first 18 months of its life as a dealer training car at Leyland Service at Cowley. The white Morris was registered in March 1975 on launch date but BL retained it for a bit before selling it to an employee. It had only done 35'000 miles when it was scrapped due to a broken rear subframe mount. :roll: Luckily I spotted the bastard and rescued it.Apart from a clonking rear 'frame it drove really well, lovely engine and box.A mate of mine had two very rare ones - a Torcars hatchback and a black Special Six Auto. Both were used as tow cars and both ended up in the scrapyard.

Here's that one in the yard near me. Been there a long time but probably not long for this world now I would have thought!

Posted Image

That looks like Sandglow, a colour that came out around 1977/8 and long after the Wolseley. You sure it's not a later Princess with a Wolseley bonnet and grille?

A sad end either way - wants stripping to a shell to rescue the bits.

That looks like Sandglow, a colour that came out around 1977/8 and long after the Wolseley. You sure it's not a later Princess with a Wolseley bonnet and grille? A sad end either way - wants stripping to a shell to rescue the bits.

No idea! whats in the pic is all I can see through the fence, and TBH I don't know much about Princesses so wouldnt be able to tell the difference between an early or late one.

• 6 months later...