Corona has arrived! (Toyota Corona EXiV Rescue)

Schaefft

I don't think it'll stay in the car for too long, for now there are a few other things that are higher on the priority list though. The car has arrived today, thanks again to Mr. Wingz123 who made the trek up here, it was great meeting you! The car is as glorious as it looks in the photos, the pillar-less hardtop design being the most awesome thing about it. The car clearly needs TLC although in typical Toyota fashion, seems to run incredibly well for being off the road for so long. I cannot wait to see how well it'll clean up!

49682875377_0a2c7162d3_h.jpg

Some more rear wiper action, I know a particular member here will find much joy in this:

49682051098_31140ed67e_h.jpg

7 minutes ago, hairnet said:

if you get sayonara from a uk toyota place

dutch friends father works for them in nl - will ask him to look at part number

he owns carina II from new so will know obscure :) he said this corona sold in nl as carina (?)

50 ish euro?

Well, the Corona EXiV never was sold outside of Japan, so all those cars you see in Russia, NZ or this one were used grey imports really. The Carina kinda is related I guess although it really is much closer to the 2-door Celica. I called Toyota about the part # and they basically told me they cannot get it anymore. Feel free to ask your buddy, if he can get it for around 50 Euros I'd definitely be interested! Its 16304-74110 for my car.

I was pottering around in the shed today and pondering the Carina ED model I have:

4061404485_a1d505772f_c.jpg

Tamiya 1:24 Toyota Carina ED Autopista by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And then wondered how it related to your Corona. So I dug out a Japanese book I have:

Scans_0002.thumb.jpg.4796a5df155ad65ff523fdcb3b846b40.jpg

So that one ran from 1985 to '89, which preceded the EXiV. Logical enough?

Scans_0003.thumb.jpg.a48a605ab28492cf8ef65f967c03d3f3.jpg

Hang on, there was a subsequent one which ran alongside yours?

Scans_0001.thumb.jpg.a6c72bb70fe00c717b913758b5097f08.jpg

So they did two midsize 4-door hardtop models at the same time? Fantastic!

There were also various hardtop models of Camry, Vista and Mark II family which weren't much bigger.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I was pottering around in the shed today and pondering the Carina ED model I have:

4061404485_a1d505772f_c.jpg

Tamiya 1:24 Toyota Carina ED Autopista by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

And then wondered how it related to your Corona. So I dug out a Japanese book I have:

Scans_0002.thumb.jpg.4796a5df155ad65ff523fdcb3b846b40.jpg

So that one ran from 1985 to '89, which preceded the EXiV. Logical enough?

Scans_0003.thumb.jpg.a48a605ab28492cf8ef65f967c03d3f3.jpg

Hang on, there was a subsequent one which ran alongside yours?

Scans_0001.thumb.jpg.a6c72bb70fe00c717b913758b5097f08.jpg

So they did two midsize 4-door hardtop models at the same time? Fantastic!

There were also various hardtop models of Camry, Vista and Mark II family which weren't much bigger.

Thats right, the pillarless Carina ED had two generations while the Corona EXiV was introduced when the 2nd gen ED came out. If you look closely you can tell that they have largely the same body with different front and rear fascias. I guess one was more geared towards sporty driving while the other one was aimed a bit more closely at elegant luxury? Both had exactly the same drivetrains though. In any case I bet they were sold in different Toyota sales channels, giving them a midsize hardtop each. Both the Carina ED and Corona EXiV would get another generation after this, but they'd be conventional pillared sedans with frameless side windows (still sold as hardtop), similar to the Impreza for example. The Japanese market really had an incredible wealth of niche vehicles during those times, thats what I find so fascinating about it. You could say that German manufacturers are practicing the same approach today, only that their cars are pressed into their established model lines (2, 3, 4, 5-Series with 500 different body styles each). And yeah, there have been plenty of others, many of which made it here or to the states, but sold as "normal" sedans and hatchbacks. The 323F or Lexus ES300 are perfect examples of niche models sold as mainstream somewhere else.

16 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

When it first appeared via the Facebook ad I couldn't quite tell if it was a Corona or Carina. 

You mean the car? I haven't seen a facebook ad for it.

Wasn't it on Facebook originally? I might not be recalling correctly but I was refering to the pictures in your o/p anyway. 

I'm not entirely sure on the relationship between Carina and Corona. Over here the Carina II was replaced by the Carina E, itself a rebadged Corona. In Japan both lines continued with updated Carina and Corona Premio. I suspect you are correct that they were for different Toyota stores. There were Carina GTs with the 8000rpm 20v 1.6 4AGE which suggests it's in the smaller size category, crossing over with the Corolla (which also got that engine). 

My personal holy grail, along the Exiv 200GT, would be an st191 Caldina;

toyota-caldina-651959b2db.jpg.6f6ec02b9a00856418a5275605cb18d1.jpg

Available with some funky panoramic roof options and apparently the 3SGE 2.0 16v, though I've never seen one on any of the Japanese auction sites. Also popular in Russia it seems.

1 hour ago, Sir Snipes said:

Wasn't it on Facebook originally? I might not be recalling correctly but I was refering to the pictures in your o/p anyway. 

I'm not entirely sure on the relationship between Carina and Corona. Over here the Carina II was replaced by the Carina E, itself a rebadged Corona. In Japan both lines continued with updated Carina and Corona Premio. I suspect you are correct that they were for different Toyota stores. There were Carina GTs with the 8000rpm 20v 1.6 4AGE which suggests it's in the smaller size category, crossing over with the Corolla (which also got that engine). 

My personal holy grail, along the Exiv 200GT, would be an st191 Caldina;

toyota-caldina-651959b2db.jpg.6f6ec02b9a00856418a5275605cb18d1.jpg

Available with some funky panoramic roof options and apparently the 3SGE 2.0 16v, though I've never seen one on any of the Japanese auction sites. Also popular in Russia it seems.

I can't imagine these sporty Caldinas to cost much at all on Japanese auction sites but if you've never seen one they must be very rare.

@Schaefft Well I only look occasionally, such as when threads like this remind me. They are indeed pretty cheap but usually 3s-fe engined. That's fine, but it'd be fun to see one with the GE. It wouldn't be fast or anything; I think the Carina E GTi was 10 seconds 0-60 officially.

@Spottedlaurel that book looks very interesting. What is it? I just noticed it shows both generations of Carina ED sharing the ST160/162 code. I'm wonder if that's correct as I've never seen Toyota retain the model code over generations like that.

15 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

that book looks very interesting. What is it? I just noticed it shows both generations of Carina ED sharing the ST160/162 code. I'm wonder if that's correct as I've never seen Toyota retain the model code over generations like that.

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.1ec8e7494b7f61f5a4e11c3e29cea70a.JPG

I think they came from someone on Retro Rides back in the '00s. Theye're excellent books and have helped me a lot, effectively they cover around 25 years as the first one has stuff that started life in the '60s and the second one includes the models that were launched in 1989 and ran into the '90s, so it includes those groundbreaking cars like Skyline R32, Fairlady Z Z32, Eunos Roadster and Celsior (and Daihatsu Applause). Amazing to see how the cars moved on in that period.

I think you could be right on the model code though.

Man, am I glad the car got here last 2 days ago, not Saturday this week as initially planned...

3 hours ago, barrett said:

Jesus, the more I look at this the more I want it! Please can I have first refusal when you decide to move it on??

Haha, I feel like this one will be a keeper. It might take a while now before gets on the road anyway,,,

4 hours ago, hairnet said:

friend checked on toyota fiches and did some digging

NLA sadly

ah well

Yeah, looks like I need to source it from some secret parts stash in Japan now...

There's a possibility that I dreamt of having the EXiv brochure; still semi-convinced I have it but my search of the relevant portion of my archive has proven fruitless.

I do have one for the first of the Carina EDs, though, plus a nice piece of celebrity endorsement that Mr Moore might have regretted if he were around today...

61f44847aa29ef2085bbd64b66e45d78.jpg

4 hours ago, RoadworkUK said:

For anybody who hasn't found this invaluable JDM brochure resource:

http://www.en.japanclassic.ru/booklets/toyota-exiv-1989-st180.html

It really is a shame that global tissue paper reserves are so low.

Yup, bookmarked it a while ago, its fantasitc but I wish some of these scans were higher res.

20 hours ago, hairnet said:

bad man.......

now that holidays have been cancelled

ive £££ to peruse ebay

must.........not..........buy...............obscure.........tat

something yank from sauerkraut maybe? :D

I have a bit of desire for Carina A10, if you get one I could borrow it!