Corona has arrived! (Toyota Corona EXiV Rescue)

Schaefft

Toyota Corona, not the virus!? Mr. @155V6 was gracious enough to make me aware of an ultra rare 1989 Toyota Corona EXiV that is currently for sale in Reading. If you have never heard of a Corona EXiV before there is a good reason for that. It was a JDM only model, meaning that they never got sold outside of Japan, making this an extremely rare chance to get this particular variety of Corona. Unfortunately I am now all the way up in Edinburgh, making the trip down there just to look at the car a fairly uneconomical undertaking considering the low asking price. Naturally there is rust involved.

Would any shiter be willing to have a quick look at the car for me so I can make a more educated decision on pulling the trigger and save it from certain doom on the banger track? Of course there will be compensation beyond shiter's glory and the opportunity to see this from close up in person. And yes, these seat covers came like this from the factory. Truly glorious.

42B28E16-0782-4B5D-B99C-716CFCFE8655.jpeg.00b8bed903462435a6ef38c9eec50c57.jpeg

BE8EC132-7CBD-446E-9633-15ECFC58F511.jpeg.6f749459d506e5c4ad6e4755bbd1afe9.jpeg

The car is supposed to drive as well so that could be quite a unique experience in itself. If anyone here is willing to help me save this car, please let me know!

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

There is likely to be several people closer than me, (it's a circa-100mile round trip), however there is a possibility I may be not far from reading in the next week or two, so it could be possible, depends on how soon you need someone to look at it.

Generally the soon the better. Seems like he had to deal with a few idiots before so he is probably happy to hear from someone who is genuinely interested. With it being advertised on a banger forum I wouldn't want him having to wait for me making a decision for too long either.?

1 minute ago, Rovorsche said:

Is it UK registered ?

Would be handy to know the registration for booking the MOT

Yup, apparently since 1990 when it was a year old. Just hasn't been on the road since 2012 but the owner says everything works. It does have rust issues and thats the point where I wonder how bad it is. Looks clean though!

You wouldn't believe it but this is my mate Kev selling this. What do you want to know.....I have his number in my contacts.....kev is a top guy and I've known him and his son for a long time. He will give me the honest run down. Can also look at it if you really want me to....

Car is at the end of my road

PM me I'm off to bed up at 4am

1 minute ago, Wingz123 said:

You wouldn't believe it but this is my mate Kev selling this. What do you want to know.....I have his number in my contacts.....

Car is at the end of my road

Oh jesus haha! I really just want to see how bad the rust is, or more precisely how hard it is to fix it as I won't do it myself. I've had a quick chat with him today and he'd like to send me a few photos tomorrow, but ideally I would like to get as much of an overview of the work needed to get it MOT'd as possible.

Can have a look over it tomorrow for you? Would be afternoon/early evening? 

Let him know Big James with the Sprinter truck will pop round and have a look at the car and I'll send him a text. ? only spoke to him earlier today 

If you want to and use whatsapp drop me a PM with your number. I'll add you and shoot you videos and all sorts of the car and of it running if you'd like.....

Looks like a plan is forming.
I'm in Oxford and close enough to shift a running car to a drive of safety if required, if plan-B/C is the next level I have a friend with a flatbed that could fetch if it is not at MOT "would fly through an MOT M9" stage.

Just now, Rovorsche said:

Looks like a plan is forming.
I'm in Oxford and close enough to shift a running car to a drive of safety if required, if plan-B/C is the next level I have a friend with a flatbed that could fetch if it is not at MOT "would fly through an MOT M9" stage.

Definitely wouldn't get through an MOT in its current state but I think I'd probably prefer to have it welded and MOT'd down south and drive it up here myself than pay someone to transport it on a flatbed all the way up here. Depends on whether anyone here knows a guy...?

29 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

This is great, I love Japanese cars from their economic bubble era when there seemed to be about 700 slightly different versions of each model.

Also all these 4dr hardtops, a body style which died in it’s native USA in the mid 1970s, but were kept alive for another 2 decades in Japan ?

I've said it elsewhere before, I generally love cars of this era, but those bubble era cars are particularly interesting to me. Japan really was (subjectively) at its height economically at the time this car was conceived, and you really could tell with the rapid technological progress that happened not only in the automotive industry but across all of Japan. Who else would build a sport compact based hardtop sedan with 4-wheel steering at the time (apart from Mazda)? Put these cars into the context of time and you really start to appreciate them for what they were back then. Plus it just looks cool:

49618790188_aeb9059c3b_h.jpg

34 minutes ago, barrett said:

Very happy to think this might be saved and find its way into the AS fold. I absolutely love it.

Thanks to the enabling powers of AS, almost anything is possible nowadays.