Toolshite

Kiltox

On 2/29/2020 at 10:04 PM, Kiltox said:

Pretty much all of my sockets and spanners are Halfords Advanced/Pro - no reason not to be either. 

I own a single 10mm Snap On spanner that I found in a spare wheel well ? 

Weirdly I also have a single 10mm snap on combination spanner left in the engine bay about 25 years ago. The mechanic had engraved his initials on the spanner and by some heavenly intervention, I have the same initials. I figured it was meant to be so kept it.

I've been well impressed with Wera's screwdrivers and I've been even more impressed with their sockets and ratchets. In particular their 1/4" drive Zyclop ratchet with the slender handle is a thing of beauty. I have a loating of ratchets with clumpy lumps of rubbery plastic pretending to make things more comfortable. These are even more hateful when they do it to quarter drive ratchets which you are usually using because access is not good. This, on the other hand, is just lovely. About 80 quid for a set with metric sockets in a nice soft pouch. Recommended.

004004.JPG

Those do look pretty hopeless to be honest. I can at least see the logic with this type (which are rarely successful anyway):

s-l1600.jpg

But yours look 'too stubby' to be even capable of getting a good bite on the stud. The little poxy hex drive doesn't suggest they were ever designed to transmit much torque either.

34 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Those do look pretty hopeless to be honest. I can at least see the logic with this type (which are rarely successful anyway):

s-l1600.jpg

But yours look 'too stubby' to be even capable of getting a good bite on the stud. The little poxy hex drive doesn't suggest they were ever designed to transmit much torque either.

Those type are ok if you buy quality ones, the ebay sets for a couple of quid are a one way ticket to misery.

^^ I'm inclined to think that both of these things are like the Irwin's - a deterrent. After snapping off a (admittedly very cheap) extractor in a snapped bolt for an exhaust bracket on a chassis rail, I learned to not put myself in the situation again...

+1 for Bahco socket sets - I have a metric and part imperial 1/2 and 3/8" drive set with combination spanners which I keep religiously clean and orderly, and has been a joy to use, as it includes UJs and two extensions for both drives, and a screwdriver handle/extension for the 3/8. The long reach 3/8 drive sockets are a boon too. The foam handles are a sod for getting dirty though and seem to be the weak point - they've started to loosen and rotate on the ratchet shaft, but they have taken 10 years abuse, and aren't causing a problem.

Other stuff is all a mix and match - fortunately some Snap On screwdrivers and knipex pliers from my first engineer job, but other essentials are a pair of (Solingen?) gland nut/plumber's pliers, mole grips and vise grips, large and small. And a long Magnatex screwdriver that refuses to die. First job also kitted me with a basic Fluke multimeter. The PP3 powering that must be 15 years old now...

Clarke mains rattle gun, because I was fed up of the mortal fear that a scaffold bar would put me in when trying to shift the wheel nuts on the camper.

Aldi special Powercraft drill driver - which has been absolutely brilliant. Likewise the Sheppach bandsaw from Aldi is good value - though a bit fiddly to set up - but I think all bandsaws are. Bosch circular saw - on offer at a B&Q Trade point, and a Lidl chopsaw - both have done everything I asked of them. Also a Parkside router (actually Bosch with a metric collet) again has done everything I've asked of it.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Kiltox said:

I bought a DeWalt DCF880 impact wrench to make working on the Rover and Fox faster/easier - it’s very capable for the money!

I definitely need to buy some impact rated u-joints / extensions etc though. 

Interesting video!

Your point about access and length of wrench is a good one, but IMO it's swings and roundabouts; I have one of the Milwaukee stubby 3/8 wrenches (like those below) and although they are really, really, really fantastic (310nm on a 12v battery), and are crazily short, the flatness of the face sometimes means that a longer and pointier wrench is better. Obviously you can use an extension, but at some loss of torque/impact.

That Dewalt one looks very handy.

FFC149EB-F2B6-44CD-BE6B-39F471DDDB82_1024x1024.jpeg

8 hours ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Having a tidy.

Anybody ever successfully used these screw extractor things? I haven't. They are a running joke at work.

20200429_114836.jpg

They are fairly esoteric; avoid cheap shit woodscrews and/or binning screwdriver bits that are worn out and you should never need them.

1 hour ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Interesting video!

Your point about access and length of wrench is a good one, but IMO it's swings and roundabouts; I have one of the Milwaukee stubby 3/8 wrenches (like those below) and although they are really, really, really fantastic (310nm on a 12v battery), and are crazily short, the flatness of the face sometimes means that a longer and pointier wrench is better. Obviously you can use an extension, but at some loss of torque/impact.

That Dewalt one looks very handy.

FFC149EB-F2B6-44CD-BE6B-39F471DDDB82_1024x1024.jpeg

It certainly is handy, especially given the price!

I think some of the work I did with it would’ve been very difficult without it. 

Yesterday I bought myself a little treat for being good during the lockdown:

s-l1600.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sale-Panel-Beating-Set-9-Pce-Case-Hammers-Bumping-Skinning-Pick-Dollies/161683361112

Its a Sealey set, managed to get it for £72 thanks to a 20% discount code on eBay yesterday. Seems a barg if there is not a catch I have failed to notice (going rate seems to be £90-120). Few reviewers moaning about the surface finish on the dollies but I can linish them up a bit if required.

I've never had a hammer and dolly before so I'm quite excited about it!!! I'm gonna be Mr 'All the gear and no idea' if I'm not careful so i will get on the Youtubes for some lessons.

Before the end of civilisation I was in a Homebase looking through the remaining stock of a store  that will soon sadly close and I got myself a couple of Silverline G clamps, ive always seen silverline as complete shite but I have to say I'm mighty impressed with them so I ordered some more, smaller and larger ones. 

I know it's just a clamp but they feel good. The copper coating is ment to prevent welding spatter sticking. They don't bind up on the threads, nice and smooth.  Cheap enough aswell on eBay or Homebase if You have one nearby still.

How many G clamps can a man have before it's seen as a problem?

Screenshot_20200502-215823.thumb.jpg.c338f649734033bbba369e3d2b032639.jpg

28 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I've never had a hammer and dolly before so I'm quite excited about it!!! I'm gonna be Mr 'All the gear and no idea' if I'm not careful so i will get on the Youtubes for some lessons.

Check out 'Trevs blog' that dude has some mighty impressive shaping skills, but also uses what he's got to get it done rather that tones of fancy equipment. 

22 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Just look like a generic importer the torches etc they list on their website look like just rebranded from silverline, no details of warranty on the ratchets

Hmm yeah you’re probably right.  Not sure what to buy ratchet wise - there are some Snap On ones on eBay for not too ridiculous money but I wouldn’t be able to get warranty support if I needed it which is obviously part of what you’re paying for!

29 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

The flexi head and extending all in one thing would put me off. 

Not a huge fan of large handled ratchets and always find them a bit clumsy.

Yeah the locking flex head appeals more than the extension, tbh. 

Do you find flexi head stuff useful? I don't recall ever having a need, but I usually tinker with old shit where most stuff is reasonably accessible, I'd bet on more modern stuff there's a use for it. 

I bought some of these ages ago, ( I do love a spanner me ) but I've never used them. I Assume I'll use they at some point when trying to get on the back of an awkward nut and bolt combo 

Screenshot_20200504-205517.thumb.jpg.35d6f4810e9e77a768a8e12bdea8051b.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, ChampionRabbit said:

My favourite Wera tool by far is the zyzlop mini for hex bits. The bit goes almost all the way through the head, so clearance is incredible. A genuine problem solver.

I've got the poor mans version of that :)

spacer.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screwdriver-Assortment-Restricted-Confined-ENGINEER/dp/B00B4TECTQ

It's actually very good but I've not tried the Wera!