Talk to me about the volvo C70

Cooper1

• Cooper1 changed the title to Talk to me about the volvo C70

If you mean the Mk 1,I had this one for a few years20190615_125536.thumb.jpg.47a6afc8cf7773824d8a92875d7d7af2.jpg

They're no sports car,but the T5 Manual is quick enough.Nothing major went wrong with it,just niggly things I could fix myself.

The convertibles seem to have a few problems with the power roof,& also are said to handle a fair bit worse than the coupes.

The automatic boxes seem to get a bit fragile when they get older.

The cabin is a nice place to be,especially some of the seat trim options.

Some people say the lower powered versions are a bit sluggish,they are quite a big heavy thing.

I only sold mine as it really needed all new suspension & tyres plus some other bits & I didn't have the cash,plus I'd got to too many cars.

Would I have another?,Yes but it would have to be a T5 GT manual in the Saffron orange colour with black leather/alcantara interior.

I had a shot of my Cousins hubbys Cabriolet one today. Drives lovely, punchy motor (think it is the 2.3 turbo), spacious and looks nice. He was complaining of the handling though however I took him out in my Audi to show him how it's just because its a bendy Cabriolet!

Unfathomable seat adjustment though and its hard to manoeuvre due to its fairly large size and small rear window.

Prefer my Audi 80 cabrio.

God, I'm getting old. Mis-read C70 for C30...doh!

Had  a T5 back 13 years ago in Kingfisher Blue with Cream Leather/alcantara interior. It was on a V plate and bought at 102k miles.

Never gave me a hint of bother in the 18 months I drove it, lovely thing and probably the most comfortable seats ever. Sadly it got nicked by a bunch of Poles whilst I was on holiday.

It wasn't devastatingly quick, but the old girl could pick her skirts up when needed. Really just a capable GT car.

15 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

They seem to be impossibly cheap at the moment - @rantingYoof and I were amazed at the one that went through Cannock for less than £300 and seemed to be capable of both forward motion and hanging onto its fluids 

Even the Mk2 version is getting incredibly cheap! Saw a decent one up for £1500 the other day....57 plate iirc.

I had two of them. Dreadful cars.

Like all petrol Volvos of that era they suffer from ETM failure, which is expensive to fix and usually ends up sending them to the scrapyard. Both of mine went that way, the second one allegedly had had a new unit in the car's lifetime but it failed again.
Even when the throttle pedal does manage to convey your intent to the engine unless you're in a T5 you're going to be shown the way home by cars like 1.5 Almeras and sprightlier Diesel superminis. They weigh close on two tons with a driver and  bit of fuel aboard, the engines usually top out at 170/200bhp, they're geared like the starship Enterprise and there's no torque low down, especially on the NA one.
The gearchange is clunky, the turning circle is hilarious and makes a mockery of Volvos of old. The front wheels make a horrible noise as they scrape off the suspension on full lock too, apparently the solution is to fit bigger lock stops which further increases the space needed to U turn to that of a large van . Avoid multi story car parks.
They have more flaky electronics than any Citroen, Fiat or Alfa I've ever owned, just try and find one with no warning lights on the dashboard.
It's as long as a V70 yet struggles to cope with rear seat passengers at all, mainly because the front seats don't move far enough out the way and if they're electric, often don't move at all.

Positives are the styling from the rear end, the comfy seats and the superb stereo. They make good cruisers but they're a PITA in town and the country.
It's the worst Volvo ever made by a long way, and I love Volvos.

This was the second one I had. At least it only cost me £500 so sending it to the scrapper wasn't too painful.

v1 (Custom).jpg