Volvo- 940 turbo auto Vs V70 D5 manual.

Lankytim

At the moment i've got too many cars- again. My daily is a 2002 V70 D5 with 232k on the clock. Runs pretty well with no deal breaking issues apart from things like an alarm which thinks the rear window is broken and the drivers side having a slightly ropy paint job due to a CAT D repair many years ago. The injectors clatter away occasionally like they all seem to but overall it's a tidyish load lugger with leather, air con and cruise control, what's not to like?

Festering on my Dad's drive is an R reg 1998 Volvo 940 turbo auto. Pretty smart all round, great runner, drives spot on, aircon, cruise control, everything seems to work fine. It's generally a really nice motor. 282k on the clock but it honestly looks like a 100k car. Smashing- I'm going to have to uproot it soon though or it will sit until the MOT runs out and it will end up scrapped.  

The issue- one of them has to go. 

I got the V70 for it's economy but i'm struggling to get more than 43 MPG and that's with mostly motorway miles at 60 mph. The 940 will get high 20's but I've started a new job which means a 6 mile commute to work rather than a 16 mile one. The V70 is a great workhorse and has never been any trouble but it's slightly boring, the 940 is quirky and is nice to drive but obviously feels much much less modern than the V70 (not that that's a bad thing) plus I quite fancy an auto. 

Both have nice towbars for any shite retrieval missions (although that's why i'm in this situation in the first place)

Any shiters have an opinion on my dilemma? I honestly don't know which one I should sell and which I should keep!

If the 940 were a manual, it would be much more interesting and fun to drive. We had one in the family and it was brilliant, really quick too. Drank like a bastard though. I'd say for your short commute you might just live with it though. Both cars are at a point in their lives that they will want working on pretty regular so maintenance might be similar on both. Much less to go wrong engine wise on the 940 though.

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I got the V70 for it's economy but i'm struggling to get more than 43 MPG and that's with mostly motorway miles at 60 mph. 

Is there something wrong with your V70? I thought most people on here were getting 50mpg+ from them? I’m just interested as I’ve always fancied a V70 D5 on the basis is was a comfy economical cruiser. Is that figure from the trip computer or calculated? 

10 minutes ago, rainagain said:

Is there something wrong with your V70? I thought most people on here were getting 50mpg+ from them? I’m just interested as I’ve always fancied a V70 D5 on the basis is was a comfy economical cruiser. Is that figure from the trip computer or calculated? 

The mpg computer gives an average of 49.7 but after working it out by brimming the tank it came to a fairly crappy 42.8 or something.  I don’t think those mpg computers work very well, before I changed the in tank pump it was showing an average of 65 mpg. Other D5 owners report similar MPG figures with the occasional lucky owner reporting over 50mpg

5 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

It does sound low, mine gets that around town. They are finickity on fuel pump timing apparently so a fiddle with that may help. It’s a PITA to do though

It’s common rail, so no pump timing to worry about. 

6 minutes ago, Cooper1 said:

keep the 940 sell the D5 and fit a single point LPG system to the 940.. 

The 940 is a better looking car, far more interesting and built a thousand times better!! Pre FORD!! ;) 

A proper VOLVA

I think these have 100% Volvo input, post 2004ish ones have various Ford influences and parts fitted. Also, being a turbo a single point LPG system wouldn’t work, it would need to be multi point. I’m not sure if I’d bother going the LPG route, they seem to be tricky to set up on these engines. 

8 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I think these have 100% Volvo input, post 2004ish ones have various Ford influences and parts fitted. Also, being a turbo a single point LPG system wouldn’t work, it would need to be multi point. 

A good multipoint system can be fitted.. 

The P2's have alot of ford in them, when the P80 V70 model ended Ford took over,, 

The P2's have a rear subframe off of a MK3 Mondeo for eggsample suspension is ford too ;)

Various modules and electrical bits aswell,.

It shares the Ford ECUD platform.. 

Not saying they're bad cars, but the 900 will be chugging along for a long times after the V70 has been turned into a bean can ;)

1 hour ago, Cooper1 said:

A good multipoint system can be fitted.. 

The P2's have alot of ford in them, when the P80 V70 model ended Ford took over,, 

The P2's have a rear subframe off of a MK3 Mondeo for eggsample suspension is ford too ;)

Various modules and electrical bits aswell,.

It shares the Ford ECUD platform.. 

Not saying they're bad cars, but the 900 will be chugging along for a long times after the V70 has been turned into a bean can ;)

These were developed before Fords take over in 1999 so maybe the Mondeo has a Volvo subframe? I do know that after 2004ish Volvos gained Ford electrical connections and buttons along with a host of other bits and pieces. 

For a long term bet I'd keep the 940 so long as it's not rusty. They're classic old Volvos and easily fixable. If that diseasel V70 starts to wear out the £££bills will come in one after another.
Or if you really prefer the newer one, flog the 940 on here, I'm sure someone north of the border will offer it a home.

The pre-facelift D5 like yours is one of the most reliable modern diesels out there. They'll do mega mileage with only routine maintenance.

The P2 is still very much a proper Volvo, probably the last one. You need to look at the 2nd gen S40 to really see the Ford influence taking hold in an obvious way.

The 940 is definitely the more interesting car, but as a boring reliable modern the V70 would be hard to beat. Comfortable, fast and well specced.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I’ve been googling and the poor fuel economy may be down to a dodgy thermostat, over the last couple of months it’s been taking about 20 mins to get up to temp. Hopefully a new stat should improve things. 

Would there be much interest in a 940 ROFFLE? 

Tough choice.

Having just moved from a really nice 940 turbo to a really rough P2 V70 I actually much prefer the newer Ovlov (Sacrilege, and a deeply unfashionable opinion I know). To me they just feel nicer to be in and drive. Granted 940's have that lovely old car appeal going on, but certain parts are getting scarce and that could get irritating quickly on a daily.  I had to convert a MK1 Golf heater control valve and route new Bowden cables so the cabin controls would work on the basis that one's for none aircon RHD models are literally completely unobtainable, it was a right ball ache.

Either way they're both lovely cars and I'd likely be up for a couple of tickets whichever one you decide has to go!