What are you living with?

Craig the Princess

323-1, silver - Idle can be very hunty but never stalls so not investigated beyond an oil change.

Battery light comes on in the rain one in three trips, popping it in neutral and flicking ignition off and on again fixes* it so not checked further.

ABS module stuck itself on so I pulled the fuse a while back, have a replacement but it’s a battery tray and all gubbins out so not fitted yet.

323-2, White - Slow puncture on right rear, just top it up from the cig lighter when I use it.

Boot seal leaks so theres a bit of wet dog smell, keep meaning to try and track it down.

Laguna, bit of a screeee then whistle noise on throttle, dunno what it is, Mr posh voice  computer doesn’t tell me anything about it so dunno. Robot thought maybe engine mount?

Slight blow on exhaust - Sounds good :)

Dashboard lights up like Blackpool Illuminations if you drive with full beans on the revs - Just driving with less beans

Xantia estate - Slightly noisy release bearing, rear wiper blows the fuse if used too much so needs a new motor I guess, Spheres ok, but ride not as Citroeny as it should be. Still a comfy thing to be in though. Everything is good though even the air con works!

Xsara Picasso - Front washers not working, tried usual unblocking etc needs more investigation. This was a bargain actually and just keeps going.

T25 camper- Rust, blown head gasket (suspected), rust, pop top will likely need replacing in next couple of years, rust and rust

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

It used to work. Which one is it? You can turn them off with the switch next to the gearstick.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not sure it does now... 

Just discovered the Volvo also leaks a bit of fuel if you fill it to the brim. Google tells me a vent pipe is the likely cause, and one simple solution is to just fill it to 14 gallons or so rather than all the way to 15. Easy peasy!

As for the Cooper gearchange, you'll get used to it... @Jim Bell and @aldo135 both investigated, as did I, but no fix can be identified. It's not got any worse in the time I've had it. It's at its worst going into 1st from cold, once you've been driving it a bit it loosens up. Until the next time you get in it, anyway!

On the daily Fabia things that are AWOL are as follows..

Air con - been out of action for 2 yrs, staying that way

EML light on - Broken Glowplug no2, snapped off in the head, been that way for 3 yrs and nearly 100k miles, staying that way

Front fog lights - never worked, never bothered to investigate, staying that way

Still manages to do 600miles a week without complaint so i'm firmly in the "leave the damn thing alone" camp

Capri has a dash back light that is intermittent (LED, brand new to boot) and a non functional rear washer jet (blocked between the pump and jet, difficult to access). 

Bluebird I disabled the central locking on, as it would unlock but never re lock, which was annoying. 

Stuff like this is usually on a list to be fixed "when I get around to it" but invariably, something else always comes up to bump it! 

Omega 3.2 faults @ 230360 miles.

Dash lights = 50%.  Not a problem in the dark because I use smart phone for accurate speed reading and there is a digital display of fuel range. 

You can see temp and rev counter.

4 disc changer has 4 discs in error mode

Central locking: .Passenger door ignores being told what to do. Drivers door, goes down and pops straight back up unless you use the key. Does not respond to remote locking. 

Exhaust: there are holes. I should replace it.

Suspension: saggy but okay at speed. Genuine MV6 shocks unobtainable.

Gearbox. If the temperature outside is Hot and you are thrashing it, eventually it will decide that third is a nice place.  With a blue tooth dongle and the phone in a cradle on the dash you can erase the fault codes whilst driving with 2 quick presses. Best to get a passenger to do that. Unless stationary.  I have the oil, filter and sump gaskets required, so fluid will be changed when the exhaust goes on. 

Oh and drivers window needs oil. 

Can't think of owt else. 

My Peugeot 307 kicks out a bit of blue smoke on startup and runs rough when cold. It runs fine after a minute or so, so it's probably glow plug related. I think the smoke is a faulty breather oil separator.

It's also got a noisy alternator pulley, worn engine mount, and the dipstick snapped over the weekend just after I changed the oil.

I plan on sorting the alternator, engine mount and dipstick in the next few weeks.

The 2CV's wipers' parking function packed up, so they wouldn't stop when you turned the switch off. I removed the parking switch feed, so now they stop wherever they are when you turn the switch off. Maintaining an intermittent function manually, with non-parking wipers, is fun*. They have been like this for two years now. I'm also still living without a reverse light. It took about five years for me to get around to fitting the reverse light kit I bought, but having nicked the wiring from it for another job, it hasn't been refitted for about two years now.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Reminds me of those adverts where it goes along the lines of ‘runs like shit when cold but never bothered me’ 

If that's in reference to my 307 it's not far off.

It's always run rough and a bit smokey 1st thing in the morning for the year I've had it, but it always starts 1st time and runs fine after a minute or two. I've changed the injector seals and replaced a breather o ring, but that didn't cure it. It's a common fault with this engine in Pugs with no certain fix.

I'll replacing the glow plugs at some point, but they're on the back of the engine between the exhaust manifold branches, so not easily accessible. They're also prone to snapping. It's not that the rough running doesn't bother me, more than the risk of making it worse outweighs the inconvenience it causes.

T25 - no blower motor at present but dash has to come out to fix, so living with a perpetually foggy view of the world. Plus exhaust pipe is now more holes that metal, but nuts look grim so putting that off so living with noise and occasional smells.

Modern Citroen thing - living with the fact that in ‘mystic purple’ it looks like a giant quality street and I look like a prize bellend driving it. 

7 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

Croma:

Central locking on the passenger side front door doesn’t work at all and only opens the rear but doesn’t lock it. Fuel gauge has a mind of its own but is vaguely accurate to an extent..... I mean it goes up when I put fuel in. Speedo works when it wants but hoping to get this sorted.

Sounds quite good going on a 3 year old Fiat let alone a 30 year old one. 

10 hours ago, rusty_vw_man said:

T25 - no blower motor at present but dash has to come out to fix, so living with a perpetually foggy view of the world. Plus exhaust pipe is now more holes that metal, but nuts look grim so putting that off so living with noise and occasional smells.

Modern Citroen thing - living with the fact that in ‘mystic purple’ it looks like a giant quality street and I look like a prize bellend driving it. 

I couldn't live with that fault. Having to drive a T25. 

• 1 month later...

The near side mirror indicator on my V50 keeps dropping the bulb into the utterly inaccessible clear part of the mirror housing.

20200331_171810.thumb.jpg.f3e78400b2fd305e2200acbe55aa39cd.jpg

I've just put a new bulb in the holder, to add to the three irretrievable bulbs already in the housing.  Bulbs are cheap, so I'm living with it by just adding a new one as required. 

It works, for now!

20200331_171855.thumb.jpg.78a097e8ce3015874c009bac2839a0f2.jpg

The car is 13 years old now, so I suppose this belongs here even though I think of it as modern.

This should be a fun* list. 

Rover 418SLD... 

Broken wing mirror, taped up. 

Electric mirrors notworking 

Steering squeals on full lock. 

Gears very vague

Tapping from front right caliper on gently braking 

Rust

Heavy smoker in the mornings 

Oil leak

Central locking /immobiliser intermittent fault

Front bumper bashed in

Number plate taped together 

Roof paint crazed. 

Rust. 

Bonnet looks like a rat has eaten it. 

Bonnet takes about 3 slams to close it. 

Boot takes a good slam to close it 

Did I mention rust? 

Radio doesn't work. 

Rear door missing a winder

Boot interior panel loose

Driver's headrest missing

Nearside rear door dented, oh, and rusty

Oil cooler balanced inside the bumper. 

Miraculously the electric sunroof and windows work, as well as the remote boot release. 

But I wouldn't have it any other way ?

Rover 45 CVT:

Nothing. Everything works perfectly, there are no faults and no noises, not even any trim rattles or slightly blowing exhaust.

Ok, so the exhaust heat shield is broken and loose but I can’t even hear it rattling. So not really a fault as such.

Nope, I still can’t think of anything!

Sorted the locking wheel nuts out on the Tivoli, but now the washer jets have turned into a half arsed dribble. Which means that the front bumper and driver's wheel and arch liner have to come out to get to the pump and filter, which is presumably blocked. So it can wait for now.

The mg6: It's an mg6.