406 time

Marm Toastsmith

It’s got to be time for a 406 really...

205 has been sold, need some more frenchness but in a slightly more practical dad shape.  Seem to be plenty of estates still about and usually with towbar which would be very useful.

I’m assuming 2.0 hdi is the best bet, but maybe petrols are ok?

See quite a few high milers... are they good for it? Strong gearboxes?

Do they rust? What else to look for?

2.0 HDi in estate form naturally

Good solid engine, should get high 40s low 50s in em pee geeez, performance is fine in the picasso so i'd imagine about the same in a 406....more so if it's the 110 version

90bhp is more reliable apparently and a simple 8v engine, not much to go wrong apart from crank pulleys.

Been a few months since I last actively looked for one but they're good old things. I've had four, all body styles. 

Estates swallow a lot, but saloons look nicer. 

HDI engines (110s) produce incredible range paired with the really large fuel tanks. I'm taking between 7-800 miles. 

They rust well on the sills. 

As per, most estates will have been family haulers or DIY wagons. 

Comfortable to sit in, safe feeling handling and good ride quality. Just an all round good car really, they handle mileages reasonably well but the steering wheels will start to feel funny, door cards blow out, paint will craze...typical stuff. Mechanically the HDI is a great engine, find one that's been serviced regularly and not got belts due and you'll be onto a winner. 

Not sure the petrols are that good sadly. 

Wouldn't advise getting a 2.2 HDI. 

Yep. Quite a lot out there but nothing anywhere near me in the right spec at a decent price. The one below is appealing and not miles away but seems overpriced. I’ll keep an eye on it though.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot-406-diesel-estate-new-mot-new-tyres-cruise/1367088225

This has potential but it’s a long way to travel if it’s a dog:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot-406-2.0-hdi-glx-estate/1365588306

There are a few on eBay as well.

Gonna see if I can sell my Golf to up the budget a little. Wouldn’t mind spending a grand on a really nice one, otoh I’d really rather find a scruffy reliable car for £500... don’t want to have to worry about ruining a smart one!

I had a 2001 1.8 Petrol saloon a few years ago. China blue, LX AC spec.

Had it nearly 5 years, it was a good car.

Lived till over 130k (last mot)

I sold it to my brother and it was just starting to rust on the bonnet lip above one headlight, other than that nothing.

He sold it to a guy around here that ran it for a bit then it disappeared.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

2.0 HDI is a decent bet - not tried a 90 but the 110 I drove went pretty well.  Interiors are comfy but as others have said can start to get a bit fragile with higher mileages - the passenger airbag cover always seems to start peeling off, for some reason.  Wouldn't recommend the older 1.9 XUD-engined version - decent enough engine but does struggle rather with the weight of the 406.  The 2.1 is better but fairly rare and can have pump issues.

Obviously what you really want is a 3-litre V6 manual for Audi-nomming fun and games.

• 8 months later...

I paid £530 for a D9 V6 Manual about 8 years agon on eBay and its honestly one of the favourite cars I've owned.

That engine is superb, it had the cat removed and a powerflow exhaust put on it before i'd bought it and it was a very quick thing, quicker than a 3.0 X Type which are 240hp!

But the way they ride and handle is the exceptional quality here, no modern car has the balance of handling and comfort that a fresh 406 has. 

If you can find a V6 try one, my dad had a 2.2 Petrol one when they were new and that was a lovely car as well, his was Monaco Blue and really stood out.

9 minutes ago, Cento16v said:

But the way they ride and handle is the exceptional quality here, no modern car has the balance of handling and comfort that a fresh 406 has.

Agree with you, yes, the ride and handling balance of the 406 is very good indeed.  It's one of the factors that has made me keep mine for so long. In the interest of educating other members of this esteemed forum, though, there is a modern non-shite car that equals and possibly even betters it but at a price - Porsche Macan with air suspension on the right size wheels

The closest so far I've found was the Jaguar XE S, obviously much quicker, but it certainly handles like the sorted french cars did, whilst still retaining the bump absorption that many cars now are missing.

I have my dads 2015 3008 at the moment which rides very well, and also is a decent steer, certainly handles better, and rolls less than our 2013 308 which has a much lower center of gravity.

So they can still do it if they try, just seems in the main you get ride, or handling, but not both in modern cars.

I loved my 406 and if it didn't all fall apart suspension wise and refuse to come apart a week before the mot I'd still have it now. 

Its fucking huge, I got a full size 6ft fridge/freezer in mine and got the boot shut (my passenger was right up against the dash though and I was forward a few clicks). 

Mine was the 110 2.0hdi and tbh it never felt fast, it's alot of car to lug around. Wasn't slow though, but the same engine and gearbox in my much lighter xsara has way more pep to it. Inside feels so much like the 406 too, you can see the psa design across them. 

I got 46 average out of mine which included 50 miles a day up and down the m40 and local pottering. Sadly on a cruise its a car that really needs a 6th gear. Apparently you can do it with a 407  gearbox and various unobtanium bits but it's a very involved job. 

I had considered these in the past - most seemed to have crunchy gearboxes.

Even old diesel estates - like the 406 - are sought after. Consequently people will pay for a good one - more than you would expect.

Indeed stuff seems to have risen in price so much that I decided to have our vectra fixed - if it costs me £1200 its better than spending 1200 on something that undoubtedly will throw up horrendous bills.