New Bad Idea - F4RT ATTACK

cort16

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an artistic representation of a dream I had about my cars the other night. Note the Granada isn't in this as it's a good boy.

I've been using the Megane quite a lot (mainly because it's blocking the BMW in the drive) and other than the clunk it's going great guns. Great guns other than the occasional flashing engine light and a stink of petrol on startup, which likely points to injector issues, which I'm ignoring. To be fair I only get the engine light if it's cold and i'm only doing a short journey but it still drives great.

Strangely the clutch has even stopped slipping.  Now I've no idea if this is because the engine is about to exploded and it's only making 3/4 power or the clutch had oil contamination from sitting, which has now burnt off. Either way it's not slipping on a full throttle 3rd gear going up a hill so something has changed.

1540026546_IMG_0269(2)(1).thumb.png.8a9965af3a82f338b20d1be72145c5e3.png

Do these eat injectors like the Clio 1*2 does? Might also be the coolant temperature sensor at fault too.

Are the clutches self adjusting on these? I don't think they are. But I know on many, if the clutches have been shocked, they can readjust themselves. Or like you said, maybe the RMS is weeping and using it has burnt off and residue that has got on the clutch? Either way if it's not slipping atm it's a win. Probably got your money's worth out of it by now too, given your spend has been quite low and what you paid is probably what it'd break for. Especially if it has the fancy Recaro seats.

Re: the clonk - I had a clonk on an Octy which didn't go away after various things got changed. A garage I asked said it was play in the steering rack.

It was actually a loose hub nut, new nut plus 180nm and clonk went away.

Unlikely in your case but maybe worth a check since everything else has been changed (And its free (if you have a torque wrench))?

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Do these eat injectors like the Clio 1*2 does? Might also be the coolant temperature sensor at fault too.

Are the clutches self adjusting on these? I don't think they are. But I know on many, if the clutches have been shocked, they can readjust themselves. Or like you said, maybe the RMS is weeping and using it has burnt off and residue that has got on the clutch? Either way if it's not slipping atm it's a win. Probably got your money's worth out of it by now too, given your spend has been quite low and what you paid is probably what it'd break for. Especially if it has the fancy Recaro seats.

I'm not sure they're quite as bad as the clio but they do have issues. Apparently the tell tale sign is a slight misfile at cold idle, which you can sometimes hear with this. They're 60 odd quid each so not totally horrendous. It is weird with the clutch, when I pulled it out the garage it had sat for 4 months and it was slipping quite badly now after some regular use it seems to be okay again.

5 minutes ago, dome said:

Sounds like it's enjoying being used-dare I say it the more you use these things the better they get. Until something wears out, obvs.

How are you feeling about the BMW? Think it'll be around for a while?

I really like the BMW. Even though it's 10 years old the interior is still really smart, well laid out and has lots of nice touchy feely bits in it.  It's got lots of power and is very smooth if you have it in comfort mode, which I do all the time. It also handle well for a big boat. If I'm honest I would still would still have preferred to have an SE over the sport but I could find one. The interior is nice on mine but the 20 inch wheels on run flats are a bit punishing.

This weekend is my first long journey in it as I'm going down to the borders, my longest journey so far was to Girvan! We'll see how I feel if we can make it through that unscathed.

If I go back to having to commute to Glasgow semi-regularly I'll probably go back to leasing something just to reduce the stress of it exploding in the m77.

8 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I really like the BMW. Even though it's 10 years old the interior is still really smart, well laid out and has lots of nice touchy feely bits in it.  It's got lots of power and is very smooth if you have it in comfort mode, which I do all the time. It also handle well for a big boat. If I'm honest I would still would still have preferred to have an SE over the sport but I could find one. The interior is nice on mine but the 20 inch wheels on run flats are a bit punishing.

This weekend is my first long journey in it as I'm going down to the borders, my longest journey so far was to Girvan! We'll see how I feel if we can make it through that unscathed.

If I go back to having to commute to Glasgow semi-regularly I'll probably go back to leasing something just to reduce the stress of it exploding in the m77.

Dear god, why did you go to Girvan? Was it a punishment of sorts?

Hopefully getting a few longer journeys under it's belt will build some confidence.

Is buying a set of 18 or 19" wheels an option? Sell the 20"s for OMG profits and enjoy better ride and normal tyres but lose a bit of street cred on the Ayr Shore cruise?

9 minutes ago, dome said:

Dear god, why did you go to Girvan? Was it a punishment of sorts?

Hopefully getting a few longer journeys under it's belt will build some confidence.

Is buying a set of 18 or 19" wheels an option? Sell the 20"s for OMG profits and enjoy better ride and normal tyres but lose a bit of street cred on the Ayr Shore cruise?

I've been looking for a set but not found a some for what I want to pay yet.

My daughter loves birds so we went to visit that little Aviary the have in the centre of town. She loved it.  We definetely ran into a few people who look like they've never left Girvan in their lives.