Yummy Rover Metro - HGF confirmed

egg

JimH sent me a stereo for this. Then I remembered I had an ISO connector I didn't mind butchering. So I connected it jerry-rigged to the Mondeo battery - and yes it powers up :-). Jim didn't ask for any money for it as he wasn't sure it worked.

I have an error code though - any Rover lickers know what that means?

Is it like a Ford and enter a code - if so how?

IMG_20200519_194853.thumb.jpg.12ff02935d2a1f5424b2c96d169d05a7.jpg

As @Kiltox is currently involved in a project to reduce the average Co2 output of his fleet (The Axiam), this is still with me . I've decided to 'chuck' this (in AS speak) at a trusted mechanic next week to see if I can get an accurate diagnosis on the water leak, and to see if it is actually kettling.

It won't cost me much to do that, and with the Invacar off the scene, my mind is a little clearer of (car) shite! (Despite my Mondeo windscreen breaking)

So I'd better tax it again, chuck a bucket of water over it (it's in a bit of a guano covered state), top it up with water and see if the battery has any charge in it.

Just been doing one of the worst things you can do with a British car, poke at the rear arch wells. No liners at the rear. This car lived down a track and the screwdriver relieved it of a huge amount of dried on mud. 

The suspension set up lends itself to all sorts of nooks and crannies for rust. Just about made the grease points visible now! Two arch sections will be needed for this car to live long time.

IMG_20200608_162021.thumb.jpg.4ac76b9cca7f636df8a199a14f7f47b6.jpg

IMG_20200608_162032.thumb.jpg.0d514dfda8a91c5183cbe6811821b12f.jpg

9 hours ago, Christine said:

Any 20p coins in that lot?

funny you should say that, there is one under the driver's seat, but under the rail/carpet, need to remove the seat to get it, lol!

Mechanic popped round, did a quick sniff test - instant colour change, so almost certainly OMGHGF.

Oil leak has got a lot worse in lockdown that could be sump gasket or even from the oil filter, he thinks it has been on there a while.

So I got a bit done really, especially as vendor said that as recently as the Autumn he had confirmed the HG was ok at a local garage.

Anyway, mechanic is going to price the HG up for me, given I already have the cambelt/water pump and tensioner ready. 

He thinks about £600 to get the rear arches done both sides as well at a pro body shop.

I expect I'll still bail at this point. I could spend a grand on it - and it would probably be worth that, given what people are asking on Autotrader (see below) £2k and £2.5k for exact same model with similar miles, but it's not probably the best idea!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907130041996

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002247665353