Yummy Rover Metro - HGF confirmed

egg

It's a bit of an internal debate in my head as to whether to start a car specific thread on AS. My Mazda thread has become a reflection of costs of running a 25 year old car as a daily but doesn't get much traffic, my Mondeo thread has become a general MK1/2 Mondeo thread (happy about that) and my Invacar thread has become mainly about DVLA admin...but let's give it a go, see what happens.

As documented in the news and elsewhere, here it is. Joey spud noticed straight away that it needs to be called Yummy with that number plate. But I expect the original owner was the proverbial little old lady rather than a yummy Princess-Di (had to been done) mummy.  In those days little old ladies had been Land Army girls in the war and could deal with the lack of PAS!

DSCF9925.thumb.JPG.c7032e8fa73d1c531a62299fc56f2996.JPG

It was just 7 miles up the road from me on the edge of isle of Thanet (which is where the Mazda came from too) and the current owners kindly brought it over from their marshland home in the sticks.

Paperwork was minimal @BeEP has kindly posted me an excellent set of owner manuals, which is great, and makes a car seem more loved straight away,

Metro handbooks 1.JPG

In consultation with @RobT who is a man of taste in such matters an appropriate keyring was sourced from eBay, priorities eh?

2048652388_thumbnail(7).thumb.jpg.76ff7eae6165f4841b748360ceafdba3.jpg

In it's first week with me, I've had the tracking done at a cost of £40 that has sorted out the lopsided steering wheel and generally improved the driving experience.

Soon, I'll do a list of prioritised jobs. It has an MOT until October. 

In true AS fashion it has no role on the fleet, or no actual need. But after I failed to secure a second 323 coupé, I just had to have it! I hope it can make an appearance at a future Kent shiters meet, and maybe a very buzzy and bouncy journey to shitefest in May? We'll see.

But, as it's a Rover, it's all about the mighty k-series. 60bhp from that 1.1, in a car that weighs 850kg is fine.

IMG_20200219_133330.thumb.jpg.d2bd09eaac841b3e45ee020263f7b7dd.jpg

Oh, look transparent dizzy cap, WTF?

IMG_20200219_133424.thumb.jpg.742382f5fe65345bceec91056cea4f6a.jpg

All this Lucas immobilser gubbins just needs to go - will need to tag our electric experts on that probably.

IMG_20200219_133452.thumb.jpg.ed3e6038151e8626f0a1ec283bd4f479.jpg

The blower fan only works on speed setting three, I wonder if that's because this Great British Design decided to mount the speed resistor under the bonnet in exposed fashion. No wonder it has rusted...Rimmers want £70 for one!

IMG_20200219_133400.thumb.jpg.771beee9753e947527b2c3af6783113d.jpg

Here is the stance - bit high at the back maybe? What do you think?

IMG_20200219_133132.thumb.jpg.b2e453d1e70c006b002d6ac0bed18fb5.jpg

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Oh, look transparent dizzy cap, WTF?

IMG_20200219_133424.thumb.jpg.742382f5fe65345bceec91056cea4f6a.jpg

Hah neat! (shame its gone cloudy?)

On 2/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah! it would be neat to have a clear one made up or something so you can see inside while its all working! :) 

always like a Metro, look forward to seeing more in the future/buying some tickets in time,, :) 

26 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

make sure the rear trailing arm bearings have been given a good dose of grease or they’ll wear and you’ll have rear wheel steer when you don’t want it. 

@Joey spud let me know about that, I was sadly ignorant that there were 90's cars that still had grease nipples! Our own @Twin-Cam has done a helpful video on it which I've watched for tips.

Fan speed 3 will be fucking grand this winter! Either onto the windscreen for mega demisting or just onto the floor for warmth! 

That looks mega tidy! Tbh its wierd to see one of those in daily driven condition, just like you'd found it on auto trader for £200 as an car m8. I usually only see them at shows or @Six-cylinder s drive.

Looks good for it! Nice wash, clay, polish with autoglym ultra deep polish, then get yourself a bottle of poor boys black hole. Then some wax. 

Issues then...

High

- Bonnet release is sticky and a bit unreliable, stretched cable maybe?
- Unidentified water leak - could be water pump (noisy), stat housing, or yeah - HGF!
- Nearside CV joint clicking, probably needs replacement
- Grease nipple check on the suspension
- No cambelt history (obviously while changing that, cam cover needs re-sealing)
- Short term rust repairs/prevention (although there is a very rusty rear of wheel arch that would actually need cutting out I think - longer term, perhaps not me that gets that done)

Medium
- blower motor only works on top speed due to resistor failure
- oil and filter change (check air filter)
- Spark plug change (its had recent new leads apparently - logically it would have had plugs, but better check)
- Interior needs a deep clean/hoover
- Not K-series smooth, that carb needs a look at I think
- Immobilser gubbins removal

Low

- Radio missing, but might have a solution for that (radio sent to me will be included)
- Interior 'dome light' not working
- OEM floor mats
- rear parcel shelf has only one strap/hook
- driver's seat belt clip is fairly worn

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

Can you not just replace the fan resistor?

I had to do it on my MG ZR and it was as cheap as chips!

Indeed! And I've done it on my Mondeo too with an OEM part for less than a tenner....but on the little Metro...

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-JGM100090

43648-Large.jpg

1 minute ago, egg said:

Indeed! And I've done it on my Mondeo too with an OEM part for less than a tenner....but on the little Metro...

43648-Large.jpg

Ouch!

Talk to the guys FB group Metro Owners Club, there is a discussion group and a parts for sale group.

9 minutes ago, egg said:

43648-Large.jpg

if its just a high power resistor pack

cant you make your own using a set of discrete high power resistors?

(only question would be which resistor values do you get, but you could ask someone to measure a good one, and also the running current/voltage drop across it so you can figure out how much power the resistor is dissipating so you can select the correct power rating for your resistors)

I've only ever had A Series powered Metros, 998 X reg "L" & a 1275 MG B reg both obv four speed. My dad had a K Series one for a while, but I never drove it and as he came from an MG Metro then a Pug 205 GTI I don't think he liked it much and only kept it a short while.

That does look very nice and I think being a bit high at the back is good as in a Mini since it helps with weight transfer when getting off the line smartly.

13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

if its just a high power resistor pack

cant you make your own using a set of discrete high power resistors?

(only question would be which resistor values do you get, but you could ask someone to measure a good one, and also the running current/voltage drop across it so you can figure out how much power the resistor is dissipating)

@Pillock or @cobblers could knock one up in 5 minutes with the values known. 

1 minute ago, lesapandre said:

Shape has aged well - quite 'utility' no nonsense in appearance. It was crash risk and legislation which drove them off the market eventually?

I think it was their tendancy to turn to dust when it rained that killed them off.. 

Rare as hens teeth now ;) 

great cars though despite the crustyness on some!

4 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

t was crash risk and legislation which drove them off the market eventually?

Yeah, I don't think it's really a regular school run car for my daughter (25 mile trip).

47 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Talk to the guys FB group Metro Owners Club, there is a discussion group and a parts for sale group.

Joined the group, searched for resistor - and found the previous owner of my car asking the same question, lol. No responses!