Her husband works at Chodrell Bank

dc2100k

4 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Looks like it's on the up .

I've always liked the look of them. Such a nice asthetic and there's scope for aerodynamical improvements if you want to really up the mpgs.

FB_IMG_1581588278921.thumb.jpg.7c25ca64231f9d5e081cdd29d59cc95d.jpg

That's awesome. I think it's a 1.2TDI which has the narrow body as standard.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:36 PM, dc2100k said:

The original press was that no consumers would ever want to remove the bonnet but i think this is rubbish....

I think Porsche went one better with that idea - I seem to recall the Mk.1 Boxster had absolutely no access to its engine from above, so it had to be taken to a dealer and put up on ramps for any attention.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I think Porsche went one better with that idea - I seem to recall the Mk.1 Boxster had absolutely no access to its engine from above, so it had to be taken to a dealer and put up on ramps for any attention.

To be fair on the flat six all meaningful work is done from underneath anyway. I think the Boxster had a little panel in the boot for putting fluids in.

Quick cheater check for a vacum leak is spray some brake cleaner at the suspect areas with the engine running , the revs normally rise a bit if you hit the spot . Don't use carb cleaner it not safe on some plastic and rubbers kinda rots them . Brake cleaner is safe on abs sensors and wiring and brake seals . Don't cover the engine in it just little squirts and let it evaporate before moving on to next target . Full H.S.E have a fire extinguisher handy . I always think about that after the deed is done ! . 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

BACK FROM THE DEAD UPDATE: ON THE FLEET

So I've done a major switcharound and got rid of both my ZR and my Landcruiser in the last fortnight. The RALLYCARYO! is still in bits and I need a runaround so I retook possession of the £130 Audi A2! Since I gave it to my mate he's put a 1600 in his A2 and this old girl benefitted from some of his mechanic's attention/cast off bits from his car. As of now she is actually running very nicely with only a slight external coolant leak to attend to. MOT until November at which point we will make a decision about her future.

Wow, good work. I would be very interested to learn more about the engine swap. In this day and age I had thought that this would be more or less impossible as all ecus, wiring looms, sensors etc would be specific to each engine and even coded to it.

what exactly was involved in making the swap please?

7 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

what exactly was involved in making the swap please?

Like most ranges of cars within a manufacturer group there are platforms with lots of shared components. This car still has the 1400cc 75hp petrol motor (AUA) in it, but there is a sporty version of this engine (AUB) from a Lupo which has different cams and a different ECU with a raised rev limit that has 100hp. There is also a 1600 version from a Golf called a BCB which is the same block etc but is 105hp and drops straight in. If you really want power you can use the BCB bottom end with the AUB head, cams and ECU for about 125hp. 

My understanding is that the engine mounts etc are all the same and will run off the same loom. 

27 minutes ago, dc2100k said:

Like most ranges of cars within a manufacturer group there are platforms with lots of shared components. This car still has the 1400cc 75hp petrol motor (AUA) in it, but there is a sporty version of this engine (AUB) from a Lupo which has different cams and a different ECU with a raised rev limit that has 100hp. There is also a 1600 version from a Golf called a BCB which is the same block etc but is 105hp and drops straight in. If you really want power you can use the BCB bottom end with the AUB head, cams and ECU for about 125hp. 

My understanding is that the engine mounts etc are all the same and will run off the same loom. 

Thanks, so relatively* straightforward then, if somewhat more involved than sticking a 1275 engine in a 850 mini......