Purple Joy Machine - Back in the average books

jumpingjehovahs

You won’t need much more than that for plugs, leads and an air filter, just a deep socket for the plugs (17mm?).  Don’t go overtightening them with an electric screwdriver though.

Thanks Skizzer! I’ll go and buy one this weekend, I’m pretty unhandy, but this cars quite a good chance to learn I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much as I want to dislike the style of this, to quote Julian Clary "I find myself strangely drawn to it". It looks like a decent sized & practical load carrying vehicle but not too big  both physically & engine-wiseas most other 4x4's (real & faux) tend to be.
The square back end shouts 'useful loadspace' rather than the overstyled estate cars that look practical but sloping windows and swooping down rooflines mean you can't really get much in or anything large. 
Plus, why do I hate purple but like the colour on this car? Maybe just 'cos it's a nice change from the getting-real-bored-with black/grey/silver/white variations.  (says the guy who's just bought a grey car.....)

When it works, it’s great! It’s got a good size load bay with the seats down and it’s a big square, it would be handy for hay bales or similar.

It reminds me of a smaller Volvo 850 or a bigger Fiat Panda in its design.

11 minutes ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

Officially the colour is Supersonic Blue, but in most lights it’s pretty purple. In multi-storey car parks it looks like a bar of dairy milk! Definitely Purple, purblue at the very least.

It's a fine shade of blurple, like Corsa Bs came with... 

45 minutes ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

When it works, it’s great! It’s got a good size load bay with the seats down and it’s a big square, it would be handy for hay bales or similar.

It reminds me of a smaller Volvo 850 or a bigger Fiat Panda in its design.

The old Volvos were what I had in mind. People used to bitch and moan about them, how boxy etc they were, yes, but that's what makes them so bloody useful for what they are designed for - carrying not just large amounts of shite but carrying physically large items like furniture etc. That's why they were so popular (to the extent of becoming a cliche) with antique dealers.

Thanks for this thread, it's got me thinking in new directions...... 

15 minutes ago, PiperCub said:

The old Volvos were what I had in mind. People used to bitch and moan about them, how boxy etc they were, yes, but that's what makes them so bloody useful for what they are designed for - carrying not just large amounts of shite but carrying physically large items like furniture etc. That's why they were so popular (to the extent of becoming a cliche) with antique dealers.

Thanks for this thread, it's got me thinking in new directions...... 

Maybe you could get one of each ?

8A36A38E-93C1-4615-AAE7-EAF4660E2D10.png

Cambridge according to your profile?

I'm only based in Milton Keynes, happy to lend a hand and help you gain a bit of confidence doing basic servicing on my drive if you can get here and the weather isn't horrific...

I remember from my earlier years in this hobby that just having someone on hand who can lend an extra pair of hands and knows which bits to swear at can help your confidence a lot.

Always liked the look of these, bit leaner looking than the usual porky 4x4s. I had a CRV for a while and it was a fantastic car. I never got the chance to test it off road but from what I saw from the owners groups they were far more capable than you might expect.
The guy at the MOT station described them as a 'Freelander that works', I'm guessing the HRV is the same just on a slightly smaller scale.

Cambridge according to your profile?
I'm only based in Milton Keynes, happy to lend a hand and help you gain a bit of confidence doing basic servicing on my drive if you can get here and the weather isn't horrific...
I remember from my earlier years in this hobby that just having someone on hand who can lend an extra pair of hands and knows which bits to swear at can help your confidence a lot.

That’s a really kind offer, thank you! As it stands, it’s having second thoughts about starting, but if I can get it running that’s a very generous offer for which I’m very grateful and would love to take you up on! Especially as I’m the right side of Cambridge for MK too.

Thanks Skizzer! I’ll go and buy one this weekend, I’m pretty unhandy, but this cars quite a good chance to learn I reckon.

I find watching a couple of YouTube vids of other people doing a task first really helps my confidence to tackle something..

Most important thin when doing plugs is not to cross thread them, a lot of people recommend putting s bit of hose over the top and lowering them in and starting them in the thread by turning the hose then just nipping up with the tool.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

That’s a really kind offer, thank you! As it stands, it’s having second thoughts about starting, but if I can get it running that’s a very generous offer for which I’m very grateful and would love to take you up on! Especially as I’m the right side of Cambridge for MK too.

You have PM.

Yesterday,@BoggyMires came over to help me understand a little more about what exactly is wrong with this thing.

As it happens, quite a lot. But it’s nothing hugely major, just a long list. Some of the basics being:

bef87918bea7e4b040f6ded9806411cf.jpg

Cracked manifold, apparently this is something they do, but not a fun job.

4c92678352a07eddb1359107f3751361.jpg

A split in the air intake pipe, so that wants replacing

4ca2cf6ce26549e0576239df53e89763.jpg

Does anyone happen to know if this code means January 2001, as I’ve assumed it does? Either way, this is the sticky, crunchy, solid, air filter.

e6ef258ed26ad6bc2c5bd55719f33726.jpg

Spark plugs that look as old as time.

I know nothing about any of what I’ve written above, but BoggyMires was very patient in talking me through stuff and helping me understand why it was flooding all the while. (I’m very grateful!)

It also desperately needs a service, the fully synthetic oil is black and the cambelt has seen better days.

Still, it was fun to poke around it and learn something! I’m going to see about changing the HT Leads and Spark Plugs (as I mentioned before), if that resolve the starting/running issue then I might tackle some of the bigger issues towards its MOT. I’ve just been offered some free off-road parking for it for when the MOT expires while I mull it over.

It’s a little purple bastard, but I’m convinced it wants (and probably deserves) to live.

Stay tuned for my massive financial mistakes OR a picture of it on the back on a scrappy’s wagon.

TL:DR - it’s a purple prick, but I love it and I reckon it’s gonna bankrupt me.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, jumpingjehovahs said:

Oh and although I shouldn't be surprised, despite this sitting for 3 days not moving in these treacherous conditions and with some pretty cold nights, this morning it fired up without a second thought. I did think it might need a couple of goes, but it's a bit like a purple puppy, it's very keen to just get going places.

I am hugely regretting posting a video of it starting so well seeing as the bastard broke down the following day ? 

It also started first turn of the key yesterday despite not starting for 5 days before that. It’s got a personality, that’s for sure. 

Tomorrow I’ve got a 300 mile round trip for work, I think I’ll take the Prius...

Having seen this fine machine yesterday I can confirm that it is burple with accentuated accents above the rear arches in a similar* shade. It's screaming for some love and attention (£££)... since it rolled off of the line by the looks of the poor thing. It is literally choking itself to death! It would seem that it's flooding out due to very poor ignition and I suspect the recovery bloke spraying easy start over arcing HT leads may have played a part in the fireworks display.

In stark contrast though, there are parts of it that have fared very well, notably the rear running gear and most of the suspensions important bits as an example, and it is willing to survive, that is a good description! It certainly is 50/50 but 90% of the work required is fairly easy requiring only basic tools (more advanced than a hammer and molies tho.) But needs that all important Ca$h injection.

We could have ripped the arse out of it really but we hit a point where a call needs to be made. 

Pleasure to meet you J-J's

What will a set of plugs (cheap ones), HT leads, an air filter, an oil filter and 5l of 10w40 semi oil cost for this? I guess you'd see change from £40 with an ECP discount code and most of that could do fixed from the top side of the engine bay. 

I suspect that new-ish plugs and the air filter (get a crosland or similar cheap one) combined with leads will make a world of difference, and draining the oil should be OK from underneath as I think there is a decent bit of room to slide in underneath without needing ramps? Worst case scenario, bump two wheels up onto a kerb for some added lift.

The manifold might want a bit of a paddington hard stare, and the cambelt might want some special tools, but these can be dealt with later. Giving it a home DIY minor service will make loads of difference I'd have thought, and won't break the bank either. 

If you're draining and refilling the oil, get a 99p smartprice/tesco value washing up bowl to catch the old stuff in, I used them for years, way most cost effective than a special* drain pan, and then you too can slop loads of manky old oil all over yourself when the wahing up bowl slips out of your hands as you try and pour the contents back into the container the new oil came in using a funnel, or it becomes top heavy because you're rushing and then tips over and goes absolutely fucking everywhere and you wonder why you bother and wouldn't it just be easier to PCP a Citreon C1 with a service plan and then cry a bit and...

AHEM

Its all fine,. It will all be fine.

The tip about some hose to lower the plugs in is a good one btw. Also a 17mm spark plug t-bar thing should be cheap as chips

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I have been a bit turned off by this whole thing and moping about. It's MOT expires tomorrow and I've just moved it off the street to wait for the scrap man, so I don't get any fines or whatever. It's been such a shit the last few times I've driven it, or tried to start it, I began to push it. Then I thought "no, fuck this, it's a car" so I gave it a go and the bastard started! Not only did it start it ran as sweet as a nut! It's not been started, nor moved, since the 5th of March and it was back to it's normal "right, where are we going now! Let's do this!" kind of mood. It even idled at a reasonable level. I have parked it next to the bins as a warning, just in case it starts being a pain again.

Needless to say, even though I can't afford to and don't need two cars, seeing as I'm "self-isolating" with bott all else to do, I'm going to see about getting it ready for a test at some point. I knew the bastard would get under my skin. It's a good car and it definitely wants to live, I'm sure of it.  (watch me come back here in a week and ask if someone will donate some matches so I can burn it)

Here's a picture of it looking pleased with itself.

2058714517_ImagefromiOS(8).thumb.jpg.2d4e242b765a2ff8781ee034e6e7ff94.jpg

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for my updates when I attempt to repair things and just make it all significantly worse. 

On 3/5/2020 at 9:11 PM, Stanky said:

What will a set of plugs (cheap ones), HT leads, an air filter, an oil filter and 5l of 10w40 semi oil cost for this? I guess you'd see change from £40 with an ECP discount code and most of that could do fixed from the top side of the engine bay. 

I suspect that new-ish plugs and the air filter (get a crosland or similar cheap one) combined with leads will make a world of difference, and draining the oil should be OK from underneath as I think there is a decent bit of room to slide in underneath without needing ramps? Worst case scenario, bump two wheels up onto a kerb for some added lift.

The manifold might want a bit of a paddington hard stare, and the cambelt might want some special tools, but these can be dealt with later. Giving it a home DIY minor service will make loads of difference I'd have thought, and won't break the bank either. 

If you're draining and refilling the oil, get a 99p smartprice/tesco value washing up bowl to catch the old stuff in, I used them for years, way most cost effective than a special* drain pan, and then you too can slop loads of manky old oil all over yourself when the wahing up bowl slips out of your hands as you try and pour the contents back into the container the new oil came in using a funnel, or it becomes top heavy because you're rushing and then tips over and goes absolutely fucking everywhere and you wonder why you bother and wouldn't it just be easier to PCP a Citreon C1 with a service plan and then cry a bit and...

AHEM

Its all fine,. It will all be fine.

The tip about some hose to lower the plugs in is a good one btw. Also a 17mm spark plug t-bar thing should be cheap as chips

I've just priced it all up and it sat right around £40 - this is my aim for next week, get it serviced and see how we go. I think I'll leave the cambelt until it's through an MOT and just focus on the manifold! This is a very helpful (and motivational!) post, thank you! ?

On 3/5/2020 at 8:51 PM, Christine said:

Ah , my plugs were like that...70k ago! I hammered them shut a bit , and they're still in there.....I thought it went better with the big gap mind you....

Weirdly, I've seen people say online the bigger gap seems to suit them...! The general opinion of them is that they seem to take quite a bit of abuse. There's a guy on YouTube with a stock engine running 507bhp...didn't last long mind!!!

On 3/6/2020 at 12:03 AM, Zelandeth said:

Is that split in the air intake hose downstream of the air mass meter (assuming it has one)?  If so it will be making a royal mess of the fuelling...

To be honest, I don't know, but Boggymires did say it would play havoc with emissions come the test. That's on the list to get sorted asap!

8 hours ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

To be honest, I don't know, but Boggymires did say it would play havoc with emissions come the test. That's on the list to get sorted asap!

If that's the case it could well be at least partly to blame for your starting difficulties too.

I think with a really decent service this thing will be a totally different car and will surprise you.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

When I was scrabbling around looking for Easystart earlier to get the mower going, I happened across an unused rattle can of Honda Supersonic Blue paint, which I bought when I had my HR-V but never used.  Let me know if it's any use to you...

Yes, very much so! That's amazing - am I able to ask you to hang onto it until payday comes around (next week) and then I can arrange it going in the post with you? Thank you very much!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...