Purple Joy Machine - Back in the average books

jumpingjehovahs

Yep, I believe the early 3-dr versions like this were all fitted with Honda's Real Time 4WD system (same as the CRV and not permanent - hydraulics bring the rear axle into drive mode only when it detects slippage from the front), with FWD only flavour becoming available a few months into production. This one's a super-early example from April '99, probably one from the first batch into the UK.

The HRV's floorpan comes from the Honda Logo, the ultimate 'forgotten Honda' - even though the HRV was available in the UK before the Logo arrived (and then left, without anyone noticing).

A year or so later, Honda released the stretched 5-dr version of the HRV, all of which were fitted with 4WD capability.

It's probably fair to say not many HRV owners thought about taking theirs up the Cairngorms in January, mind...

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Yep, I believe the early 3-dr versions like this were all fitted with Honda's Real Time 4WD system (same as the CRV and not permanent - hydraulics bring the rear axle into drive mode only when it detects slippage from the front), with FWD only flavour becoming available a few months into production. This one's a super-early example from April '99, probably one from the first batch into the UK.

The HRV's floorpan comes from the Honda Logo, the ultimate 'forgotten Honda' - even though the HRV was available in the UK before the Logo arrived (and then left, without anyone noticing).

A year or so later, Honda released the stretched 5-dr version of the HRV, all of which were fitted with 4WD capability.

It's probably fair to say not many HRV owners thought about taking theirs up the Cairngorms in January, mind...

I was pleasantly* surprised to learn it was based on the Logo, I'd always assumed they were Civics. I was amazed at how early this one is too, it's why I'm so determined it survives (although I may change my mind come the test). It does seem pretty grippy, I was surprised at how it just shrugged off my shoving it up a muddy verge.

I opened the curtains this morning and noted conditions were treacherous

60745557_ImagefromiOS(10).thumb.jpg.06f7519f82671fc200e9faad4c5d3346.jpg

There is absolutely no way that's getting out, look at it. Basically in a snow drift.

1253835514_ImagefromiOS(11).thumb.jpg.c7fe9476a3b3be2a8bd675863c4bb46e.jpg

This looks more like it, something suitable for the conditions.

707424921_ImagefromiOS(12).thumb.jpg.3c36bff8f0c40010436c6a0129724177.jpg

Somehow we made it, mostly trouble free. There was a point where I splashed through a large slushy puddle and the belt did it's best Soprano impression, otherwise we survived. How that Sportage managed I'll never know.

1819298881_ImagefromiOS(14).thumb.jpg.16d6c2aa5ae2918c947982341b892d25.jpg

Oh and although I shouldn't be surprised, despite this sitting for 3 days not moving in these treacherous conditions and with some pretty cold nights, this morning it fired up without a second thought. I did think it might need a couple of goes, but it's a bit like a purple puppy, it's very keen to just get going places.

0CE24029-76A2-467B-BD6E-CFAD9B65A51C.thumb.jpeg.5857984285b5cbe0bd50c499ea0b0fe3.jpeg

Happy Friday from the Joy Machine ??  Our first ftp together, luckily that light between the trees upstairs is my desk, so I’m going to go drink free coffee while I wait for the big green bus. 

Not sure what happened, started lovely as per, drove out the car park as normal and then accelerating off the mini-roundabout it had had enough. I had asked a lot of it by hoping it could manage to drive all the way around the building. Nothing untoward under the bonnet and no weird noises, smells or drips. 

Still, they say trauma bonds us so I’m not too bothered, here’s hoping it’s back and motoring in 90 mins or so. 

69D4D372-16A8-4BD3-8B70-942B860BD5F6.thumb.png.cb678444d46332554588ab88a655e54c.png

Unsure I share Green Flag’s definition of great news mind ?? 

3 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Not only are you in the same building as me, but I think you’re almost next door. Small world!

Hope it’s nothing terminal. I sat and looked it over again today on my way out (1630) and said “I’ll probably end up buying that”

Good luck man. 

Thanks Bornite! As it stands it could be yours for a warm hoodie and a packet of biscuits ?. If your office is so close I’ll wave through the window next week, I’m the tall fat one in the ill fitting shirts. 

1 minute ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

Thanks Bornite! As it stands it could be yours for a warm hoodie and a packet of biscuits ?. If your office is so close I’ll wave through the window next week, I’m the tall fat one in the ill fitting shirts. 

I think I saw you the other day sporting a gingham checked number and a beard?!

Good luck getting going.  ? 

15 minutes ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

Brief update, it is running!! And is now ticking over sweetly. My new pal Adam suggests, “she desperately wants a service mate”. It seems the air filter is so old and dirty that it wants to stall when it’s in. 

I am relieved. I must confess I shit myself every time I get a notification. Told you she didn't like leaving wurzel land. I'm really glad she is back up and running

Ok we are already home and Curb Your Enthusiasm is already on, which may be a useful metaphor for the ending of the drama. 

So, the fire! 

It was a massive fireball and we still don't really know why, but it went out very quickly. Here are the remnants of the flames as I'd ran out of orange squash and we decided to blow it out. Can you sense the panic in the image?

1276326943_ImagefromiOS(2).thumb.jpg.0ca7da8e48ea1ce4dbdcef0e3eb27f13.jpg

Then after some more swearing and investigating we had life, and it is purring like a kitten *chefs kiss*

It eventually calmed down and as it was being put back together, the air filter was put back in and it stalled. So we took it back out and it was grand. 

Essentially the prescription is:

• New air filter
  • New spark plugs (weak orange spark)
  • New HT Leads (they've begun going porous)
  • Oil and oil filter 

Tools back on the wagon

1874804901_ImagefromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.931394703c44d7f77fe0d9d17c47a81a.jpg

Finally, we ran home under our own steam and it droves like the peach it is. Here it is shaming a modern Crossover.  Despite us still being friends, the AGG plate is pretty accurate ?

902757963_ImagefromiOS.thumb.jpg.0677a3a7ffb914b88229c24bbd27e30f.jpg

Closing words from the mechanic are that it's a good car that desperately wants to live, it's just not been shown much love in a very long time (you and me both pal). Home, happy and on ECP so looking forward to fitting the air filter from a Peugeot 306.

44 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I am relieved. I must confess I shit myself every time I get a notification. Told you she didn't like leaving wurzel land. I'm really glad she is back up and running

You're a gent, but honestly no need to shit yourself (well, not on my account anyway). It just hasn't been serviced for a VERY long time, years of neglect. But it's a £5 car, so it's allowed to breakdown and to be fair it had the good manners to do it right outside the office, so I could get coffee and WiFi. Clearly the Fens is no West Country ?

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I think I saw you the other day sporting a gingham checked number and a beard?!

Good luck getting going.  ? 

That was me! Now I know who you are too, I was peering through windows hoping to spot a man who looked like he owned a Ford Sierra ?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Assuming you have a spark, timing belt jumped a couple of teeth?

If no spark, CPS is always my first suspect.

Thanks Zel, you were spot on from miles away. Weak spark part of the problem, new plugs on the way. 

1 hour ago, scdan4 said:

Great News....... ffs. That’s terrible.

Just why. It’s never going to be. “Great news, you’ve broken down. “At absolute best it maybe a “Small Relief you shouldn’t have to push it home on your own in the rain “

Hope it’s minor, good luck.

Couldn't agree more! Rubbish copy! Breakdown luckily minor and all set, thank you! 

10 hours ago, Tickman said:

This thread is quite the tonic, even a FTP is an event rather than a massive Friday night panic.

Hope the car carries on well into the future just for the thread it has produced.

Many/10 would read again.

Thanks man, really appreciate that! Might as well make the most of the situation ? I’m pretty confident the car wants to go on for some time - but it’s on the naughty step this weekend and I’m back in my Prius ? 

Good news! 

Finally managed to get these 2 together for a fleet shot! Quite a good colour combo imo. 
2A0975E5-F36B-4FCC-879D-74B137E58CF5.thumb.jpeg.7738b17955a5a1495f7af65fd8eb6f5f.jpeg

Less good news!

Only one of them started. 

image.thumb.jpg.182faacbff152222530014765a953dcf.jpg

Still, I’m in good spirits as at least I have a spare. Hoping that spark plugs and HT leads will resolve it. On that note, I appreciate I’ve not built up much in the way of Shiter Goodwill yet, but if anyone local-ish can help I’d greatly appreciate it. I have 2 tools, a hammer and an electric screwdriver, and my “what more could you need” policy appears to have mugged me off here ?

Much as I want to dislike the style of this, to quote Julian Clary "I find myself strangely drawn to it". It looks like a decent sized & practical load carrying vehicle but not too big  both physically & engine-wiseas most other 4x4's (real & faux) tend to be.

The square back end shouts 'useful loadspace' rather than the overstyled estate cars that look practical but sloping windows and swooping down rooflines mean you can't really get much in or anything large. 

Plus, why do I hate purple but like the colour on this car? Maybe just 'cos it's a nice change from the getting-real-bored-with black/grey/silver/white variations.  (says the guy who's just bought a grey car.....)