Purple Joy Machine - Back in the average books

jumpingjehovahs

Ok, so you may've seen the roffle for this '99 Honda HRV which was sold out and drawn in an afternoon last week. Much to my surprise, I won it! I am ecstatic to have won my first one and can finally stop buying for tickets (I won't).

I'm not sure how entertaining this thread will be, it's either going to be long running or last 4 weeks until the MOT expires.

The car itself looks great, and I've just treated it to a good scrub inside and out at the local car wash which cost 4x what I paid for the car. Improvements so far include getting the Remote Central Locking working by giving it a good talking to and that's about it. I don't plan to spend much on it (because I've not got much!) but hopefully I can get it through it's MOT with a light touch. There's an exhaust leak that'll need patching and maybe some droplinks. Worst case scenario, it'll scrap for £150.

Plus points so far:

• So much window! Visibility is amazing, I'd forgotten how good it felt to see out a car
  • Everything works!
  • Ice cold air conditioning
  • Has a carry handle on the back
  • It cost £5
  • Feels like it'll go anywhere

Imperfections:

• It can't start itself with the lights on, but that's easy to get around
  • Exhaust leak makes it a bit fumy every so often
  • Needs a thermostat as it runs quite cool
  • It's a few colours (but it was also £5 so not a complaint)
  • Playing cambelt roulette

I absolutely love it, it's fun, comfortable and seems like it'll get me most places. Tomorrow I'm taking it to Leicester for the weekend, which is about a 130 mile round trip.

Overall, it's great and the "buying" experience was the best I've had.

781167561_ImagefromiOS(7).thumb.jpg.a7abb44edd997698ed27580ba2570978.jpg

Very convenient carrying handle

184481135_ImagefromiOS(6).thumb.jpg.bcbf5ac76de71cd55443d2dd2e543236.jpg

Trying to make it's silhouette look even cooler than it already does.

926852044_ImagefromiOS(4).thumb.jpg.b1b31aa13883bf7c0ae7188425c2fc01.jpg

£20 "valet" to get it looking it's best, remains a good 10-footer, but scrubs up pretty well!

157649572_ImagefromiOS(5).thumb.jpg.24d53ab18a9453926a5ee3d47ed7c147.jpg

I left it in the office car park overnight as I couldn't drive 2 cars home and found it had a much younger, much uglier (and wayyyyy faster) modern day attempt parked next to it. Queueing at the coffee van this morning more people spoke to me about the HRV than any other car I've had.

I'll let you know on Sunday if it gets me back form Leicester!

8 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Glad you like it. She has scrubbed up well. I didn't know she wouldn't start with lights on - never tried to do that lol. Did bucketeer tell you to take front off radio? It wont switch off with the ignition. Good luck with Leicester trip.

It looks great! I think it’s just a quirk it has, I stalled it parking it last night and it wouldn’t restart at which point I realised it was because the lights were on, soon as they were off fired right up! Yep, he did, I’ve been quite enjoying the novelty of taking the radio out. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Christine said:

Mine has been 100% reliable but they do like drinking oil and fuel  .Ok on a run though . Hate the all  ( at upwards of 3000rpms) or nothing torque of the the v Tec...Death rattle at the back was actually just   a droplink on the front !   

I know where to unload mine now anyway !

That’s good to know, I’ve seen it’s been a little thirsty on the 60 or so miles I’ve covered in it, but I think that’s probably down to all the torque being so far up the rev range. Good tip on the oil, thank you, I’ll get a bottle for the boot. 

9 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Perfect unplanned replacement for the RX.

I see one locally that has lifted suspension and knobbly tyres. Looks a bit odd when it appears to be 2wd (unless the rear axle is quite discreet?).

I hadn’t thought of it like that, but you’re not wrong, I’m enjoying the raised driving position! Although this isn’t as good in the wind ? 

The one by you sounds a bit characterful, I cant imagine it jacked up. I’ll take a look at the axle when I head out, I think it’s pretty subtle. 

14fb9dd2c560f2528ccc2d99b7a8fc64.jpg

Well, it got me the 70 miles to Leicester, in an entirely uneventful fashion. Sat at 70 all the way here, overtaking much newer metal.

At first, my family all laughed but it’s won them around. Now all it’s got to do is get me home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news! Both the Purple Brick and I survived the return trip. It’s been a bit of a mixed big this weekend but 80% good and 20% less good.

167763dbf4eaa1248f8567750eb30f4c.jpg

First of all, it confirmed that we’re a family who love brightly coloured SUVs.

This was at Wistow near Leicester which is a good Sunday afternoon mooch. This trip also proved that even 3 up (with my brother and I being both over 6ft tall and on the bigger side of it all) it’s a very capable little thing.

Then, before I drove back, I checked the oil. Ah. And of course I checked it at 3:57 meaning the supermarkets were closed and my only option for oil was the Shell garage. .

f70045a4815d7ad59c5c1b0cecb1d9f7.jpg

A quick Ribena bottle funnel was hacked up by my brother and we were good to go

b1b4aa18936348148f401105b3fc5581.jpg

And we’re good. 70 odd miles later it was faultless on the drive home. With less wind today it was actually quite a nice drive. Certainly doesn’t feel 21 years old.

4247f9d016c64a02d27a771fbd29c466.jpg

Then my brother stuck a Caffeine and Machine on which has doubled the value. The Halfords 4x4 badge has about 3 speed bumps left in it I reckon.

I also managed to get both the washer jets going, so that’s good news too.

Finally, with roadworks on the A14 (obviously) I was diverted across the Fens and had great fun on single track roads avoiding potholes, bouncing along muddy grass verges and other general hooning and it was SO much fun.

In my 5 months of ownership, I put 2 litres of oil in it. As she was near the max when she left, she is being a bit heavy on oil consumption.

The D series are known for using a bit of oil. Honda recommend Ow20, but the honda forums generally say put something a bit heavier in 5w30 or 10w40.

The ow20 is thin and seems to contribute to oil use.

Or she hates not being in wurzel land and has thrown a wobbler.

After dropping the purple throbbing Honda off with you I started to think that you just never see HRVs about anymore.
Then this happened.
IMG_20200223_104426.thumb.jpg.685e904f64aef81ce52ed16c3a9fc934.jpg

It's great to see you're enjoying it. My fingers, legs, toes and eyes are crossed for the forthcoming MOT.

Even the same age! I still haven’t seen another, I’m hoping to get a photo of it with a mate!

Thank you! I’m reasonably (foolishly?) confident in it. My brother and I will get underneath it and have a good look before it goes in and see what’s what. The oil leak is my only slight concern. I think that bang from the back is the tray above the spare wheel!

In my 5 months of ownership, I put 2 litres of oil in it. As she was near the max when she left, she is being a bit heavy on oil consumption.
The D series are known for using a bit of oil. Honda recommend Ow20, but the honda forums generally say put something a bit heavier in 5w30 or 10w40.

To be honest, that’s how much 10w40 I chucked in and it has had a couple of long motorway runs. I saw maybe tiny 5 spots under it after being parked for 24 hours so it could be that too. It’s not the end of the world though, considering how low the oil was you’d have no idea. Not bad these old Hondas

Just now, jumpingjehovahs said:

To be honest, that’s how much 10w40 I chucked in and it has had a couple of long motorway runs. I saw maybe tiny 5 spots under it after being parked for 24 hours so it could be that too. It’s not the end of the world though, considering how low the oil was you’d have no idea. Not bad these old Hondas emoji16.png

Yeh, honda did screw them together really well. 

13 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Only ever put 10w40 semi in them when I worked at a honda dealer . The 0w20 was only for the insight and civic IMA .

Fantastic to see this one getting some love, and keeping out of the recycling yard (for now, anyway!)

I really like the HRV - one of the few moderns I didn't feel violently opposed to in the late 90s at the height of my retro fetishism. Possibly because they came in bright colours at a time when simply everything seemed to be painted in Resale Silver.

I kinda imagine that if Volvo had launched a C30 XC in 1995, it might have turned out looking a bit like this (you'll have to add a Volvo nose in your imagination, mind...)

Look forward to updates on this old barge; it's the first car that's really made me feel itchy for another unnecessary motor in quite some time...

6 minutes ago, Christine said:

They only take about 3 and a bit  litres of oil anyway  I think ?  Mine runs far better when it's low . Perhaps the dipsticks are too short and we're overfilling them ! My low oil light has never come on despite not even registering on the dipstick  a couple of times ! The oil filter is bloody awkward to change..

What ^ he said could be the answer. Never got a low warning light and never noticed a difference in engine running between low or max oil level. And yes 3.5 litres is the capacity. 

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Fantastic to see this one getting some love, and keeping out of the recycling yard (for now, anyway!)

I really like the HRV - one of the few moderns I didn't feel violently opposed to in the late 90s at the height of my retro fetishism. Possibly because they came in bright colours at a time when simply everything seemed to be painted in Resale Silver.

I kinda imagine that if Volvo had launched a C30 XC in 1995, it might have turned out looking a bit like this (you'll have to add a Volvo nose in your imagination, mind...)

Look forward to updates on this old barge; it's the first car that's really made me feel itchy for another unnecessary motor in quite some time...

I'll do all I can to keep it off a scrappy's wagon. It definitely feels like it wants to live, there doesn't appear to be anything massively terminal. I agree with you on it being a pretty cool modern (although, is 1999 still modern?!) the only thing I really wish it had was metallic orange paint. I see where you're coming from with that Volvo look, I just tried to "photoshop" it but it was a disaster ?

22 minutes ago, Liggle said:

All of my Honda's used oil and none of them had a low warning light (only pressure, red lamp, game over normally) so don't wait for one! My worst case was a B20 Civic with knackered rings, 1L of oil consumed every tank full of fuel... it was doing an RX8 impression. 

That's useful to know, thank you! I did wonder if the red lamp may flash, but I won't be testing it now!

2 hours ago, Christine said:

They only take about 3 and a bit  litres of oil anyway  I think ?  Mine runs far better when it's low . Perhaps the dipsticks are too short and we're overfilling them ! My low oil light has never come on despite not even registering on the dipstick  a couple of times ! The oil filter is bloody awkward to change..

You might be onto something with the dipstick remark as I only chucked 2 litres in yesterday and that took it to almost the top of the dipstick marks. I've not even begun contemplating filter changes yet, it's good to know it's a pain, I can set aside an afternoon!

Peered out the kitchen window at the Purple Brick this morning and thought how good it looked amongst the moderns, especially as it's a Very Good Colour.  So, I've left it there to inspire the neighbours and brought my Prius to work today. It was nice to not have to turn the fans off when at a standstill to keep the fumes out ? Otherwise, the HRV doesn't feel as many years behind the Prius as I thought it might.

Image from iOS (8).jpg