e46 fan page thread

Jamie

10 minutes ago, Matty said:

I'll be fascinated to see what mine fetches when I eventually part with it. What's his wings and arches like?

It's done 140k and there's no rot 

Although He just phoned me he's broke down on m62 in a live lane in the dark in an unlit section... Fuel reading is incorrect says 57 miles to empty but its run out 

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

It's done 140k and there's no rot 

Although He just phoned me he's broke down on m62 in a live lane in the dark in an unlit section... Fuel reading is incorrect says 57 miles to empty but its run out 

Fuck. Fingers crossed

• 1 year later...

Another E46 fan here

In 2013 I won this old barge on Ebay for £1401.

IMG_5731.thumb.JPG.4424a4a5f61654d7a9d56ece2f10380b.JPG

It was a 2001 BMW 318i, with manual box, that had belonged to a pharmaceutical for the first few years of its life. It was then at a dealers in Yorkshire for 9 years. For some reason nobody wanted an ex-company bright red 318i with 49,000 miles. It had cruise and climate, so the spec was quite good, but the small wheels and 4 pot engine were probably what put people off. The dealer finally gave up on it and put it on Ebay and I was the lucky winner.

After picking it up I remember it was a bit stiff, but after the 70 mile drive home it loosened up a bit. First thing to do was give it a good service and changed the aged tyres.

In the 4 1/2 years that I drove it was pretty reliable. I got through 8 tyres, one set of pads and discs, one rad, one expansion tank, a propshaft rebuild and a second hand wiper motor replacement. I finally moved it on as I was donated a very low miles Focus. I thought about hanging on to it but it was needing another set of brakes, a couple of the tyres, there was a bit of an oil leak from the filter housing and the engine light kept coming on due to one of the sensors.

It was pretty good on fuel and would return over 40mpg if you set the cruise to 70ish. My best return on a tank once with some hypermiling was 51mpg. Around town it would do mid 30s if you didn't try racing everyone at the lights.

I rarely washed it as the car had had various panels repainted in its early life, so I was not bothered if it got the odd shopping trolley ding. 

It was just a nice old thing that had high profile comfy tyres, but was firm enough to be able to drive quickly when needed.

Here's how it looked when I bunged it back on Ebay and got £340 for it with a months ticket left on it.

DSCF8590.thumb.JPG.662921b8c09dd260104342937025e588.JPG

DSCF8602.thumb.JPG.a94d481d53f32d6f09f5dfc4829addd4.JPG

DSCF8588.thumb.JPG.6a2d0875ba8d2425b4fc192c060f29df.JPG

Looking at the MoT site it lasted a couple more years and 20,000 mile, but I guess it has been scrapped because it is not on the DVLA anymore.