e46 fan page thread

Jamie

I don’t mind a good  M3 or Club Sport. Never felt the inclination to own one, mind.

A nice M Sport E89 or E93 on the other hand...

One thing I never get though, is when people really gel with a certain type of car, then have countless versions of them. Rather than sticking with the same one, or maybe returning to ownership another time.

That’s just me though, I like to hang onto my cars. :-)

Just now, Out Run said:

I don’t mind a good  M3 or Club Sport. Never felt the inclination to own one, mind.

A good E89 or E93 on the other hand...

One thing I never get though, is when people really gel with a certain type of car, then have countless versions of them. Rather than sticking with the same one, or maybe returning to ownership another time.

That’s just me though, I like to hang onto my cars. :-)

variety is the spice of life eh? I am addicted to changing cars - think its a mental ilness more than anything. 

Here, have another one of my old sheds - a 325i E93. 

46514259_869638373427187_2093648285939007488_n.jpg

1 minute ago, jamiechod said:

variety is the spice of life eh? I am addicted to changing cars - think its a mental ilness more than anything. 

Here, have another one of my old sheds - a 325i E93. 

46514259_869638373427187_2093648285939007488_n.jpg

Your number plate is dirty m8

Handsome car BTW, but they are riddled with issues, aren’t they?

40 minutes ago, Out Run said:

Your number plate is dirty m8

Handsome car BTW, but they are riddled with issues, aren’t they?

not the E93 as such, but the engine yes. The N53 engine was one of the first 6 cylinder with direct injection and they are riddled with NoX sensor issues, Injector faults, Water pump failiures (Which mine suffered - £600 to fix, as its electric not belt driven) Same scenario with the E89 Z4's unfortunately. The M54 was the peak of the 6 cyl BMW engine's for sure.

12 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

not the E93 as such, but the engine yes. The N53 engine was one of the first 6 cylinder with direct injection and they are riddled with NoX sensor issues, Injector faults, Water pump failiures (Which mine suffered - £600 to fix, as its electric not belt driven) Same scenario with the E89 Z4's unfortunately. The M54 was the peak of the 6 cyl BMW engine's for sure.

Cheers mate, aye both the ones I like are problem children. Guess an E60 V10 swap (with the problems sorted) is the only sensible* route for either car haha.

30 minutes ago, Matty said:

More the problem as time goes on. Everything is riddled with issues. Proves my point that peak car was about 1992 to about 2004

I decided a few years ago, that 90’s stuff is my preference- for fun cars - can spanner on and diagnose them easily enough, get the right one and they aren’t terrible for rust etc.

Seems to be the sweet spot.

OK, you've got my interest. What particularly should one look for in an E46 when buying secondhand beyond the usual 20 year old car stuff?
My preference would be for a 6 pot auto but I wouldn't turn down a 318i manual if it was in nice nick. Only interested in petrols, wouldn't touch a diseasel.

2 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

OK, you've got my interest. What particularly should one look for in an E46 when buying secondhand beyond the usual 20 year old car stuff?
My preference would be for a 6 pot auto but I wouldn't turn down a 318i manual if it was in nice nick. Only interested in petrols, wouldn't touch a diseasel.

rust

front wishbone bushes (known as lolipops) Not hard to change done loads on my drive - give a shake on the steering wheel & Common MOT fail 

Cooling sysetms are weak, Expansion tanks get hairline cracks under pressure, water pumps fail  etc

6 cyl models CCV system are all likley perished now so replacing this will stop oil useage to a degree, the M54 is known to like a drink of oil though.

Airbag lights usually passenger seat occupancy sensors 

rust 

auto boxes arent the best in the e46. They used GM boxes and went back to ZF boxes in the e90 - though only usually go wrong on the torquey 330d's

window regs

Rust.

nothing too drastic and all parts are readily available down at ECP and plenty in scrappies!

7 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Cheers, I've a perverse desire for the Compact version but I haven't seen them mentioned in this thread yet, are they shit?

quite the hoot in the 325ti flavour! 4 wheels on each corner, id defo like to try one, i imagine theyre simmlar to a Z4 coupe in the way they drive. 

I had about as nice a spec of E46 as its possible to get bar an M3, imo of course

DSCN0447.thumb.JPG.4bc5afc2198b24998f2335bd5ffa9b48.JPGDSCN0440.thumb.JPG.f691a9b082bd6ab84884c775dacfb8fd.JPG

A facelift 330d sport manual. It drove very well, returned 45mpg regardless of how I drove it and looked great. 

Sadly it'd lived by the sea for about 10 years before I got it so everything fought me on it. You could tell it wasn't built like BMWs of old-it felt pretty cheaply put together underneath. The engine was great though. It's still used in Dakar rally raid "Minis" to this day.

Verdict: good, but not good enough.

I'll see if I can get some pics of my mate's old M3, not that clued up on E numbers after the 21/30/36 but I think it was a 46.

The one where the boot floor cracks and you have to spend £££ getting it welded up anyway. Went well, had a driving holiday in that and a 911 around Yorkshire, good fun.

He now has a V10 M5 and a 5 series touring diesel auto - 330?

3 hours ago, dome said:

I had about as nice a spec of E46 as its possible to get bar an M3, imo of course

DSCN0447.thumb.JPG.4bc5afc2198b24998f2335bd5ffa9b48.JPGDSCN0440.thumb.JPG.f691a9b082bd6ab84884c775dacfb8fd.JPG

A facelift 330d sport manual. It drove very well, returned 45mpg regardless of how I drove it and looked great. 

Sadly it'd lived by the sea for about 10 years before I got it so everything fought me on it. You could tell it wasn't built like BMWs of old-it felt pretty cheaply put together underneath. The engine was great though. It's still used in Dakar rally raid "Minis" to this day.

Verdict: good, but not good enough.

Holy shit that is literally my dream e46. 

Manual 

330d 204bhp

Touring 

Imola red 

Everything I'd want in a BMW. 

Shame it was rotten ?

1 hour ago, jamiechod said:

Holy shit that is literally my dream e46. 

Manual 

330d 204bhp

Touring 

Imola red 

Everything I'd want in a BMW. 

Shame it was rotten ?

If you check the MOT history I think it's dead now. These weren't even on my radar but this belonged to a mate. I was well impressed as a passenger with the speed and noise so jumped at it when it came up for sale. Hated fixing it though.

4 hours ago, dome said:

If you check the MOT history I think it's dead now. These weren't even on my radar but this belonged to a mate. I was well impressed as a passenger with the speed and noise so jumped at it when it came up for sale. Hated fixing it though.

My mate had one just like yours. Obviously being my mate it was on its arse on wide wheels but even now he regrets selling it and has a 335d 

Screenshot_20200221-175344_Instagram.jpg