e46 fan page thread

Jamie

seeing as some / most of you have owned an E46 at some point and they are at the prime chod/no one really wants them anymore (well except for some desirable models) i thought it might be worth a thread. I did a search but couldnt find a specific e46 lovers thread so here we are.

ive had 35 of the things now , i will probably never own another but nevertheless i still follow them with interest on here and on facebook groups etc.

I started my journey with them back in 2007 i was 19 and got my first 318ci in topaz blue , the reliable* 8v 1.9 pez unit with around 118bhp, it had CSL wheels on it was lowered and i felt like a king -although it couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding. 

593082a16bcac938dfa7e529

I think i left it a year and then got a 2000 X reg 318ci in Hellrot red - Again another 8v ball of fire, this is one of my first nightmare purchases it was from BCA and when i drove it out i discovered the subframe had torn away from the chassis, a not too uncommon achillies heel of the e46. that and rot, must have been all that power... anyway - had it fixed, donned another set of CSLs (this time in 19" Flavour) and had it about 3 months until it shat its expansion tank in loch lomond, that was the final straw and off it went.

$_86.JPG

third time was another 318ci this time the horrific N42 engined one which i belive was derived from Rover? COuld be wrong but sure i read that somewhere - A line of small engined ones as i think i was only 21 at this time so had to be conservative because of the insurance. this time i fitted some style 32 alloys and lowered it on a set of eibach springs.

7fc367994bc7198309d828fed0ccb29e.jpeg

4th  was another 318ci - back to the M43 lump this time as i had so many problems with the N42 - It came on a set of CSLs and didnt really do much to this one aside fit a set of alcantra M sport seats.

$_58.JPG

now i was 22, i could finally afford a propper one - back in 2010 - i finally got my hands on my first 330ci manual  M Sport - in titan silver with ALL the options - harmon kardon, electric roof, heated seats, folding mirrors, black electric memory seats you name it it had it! Except for a black rooflining as someone specced it without - so i went to the absolute chore of fitting a black headliner which, with a sunroof was a royal PITA. I fitted some eibach springs to this and some genuine ACSchnitzer type 3's - which cost a fortune but it looked class. 

$_86.JPG

Following the love of my 330 - i decided i wanted the drop top version so 6 months with the 330 coupe i went for a 330ci m sport convertible in sapphire black with grey leather. This was a dissapointment as it was pretty low spec for a m sport 6 pot- no heated seats etc. it was also a bit of a shed looking back so should have stuck with the coupe - ah well cest la vie or whatever! 

had a year off after that -went with an e92 a z4 and then finally back to a 325ci sport in Imola red - this is quite famous between bmw botherer circles - i think it got into all sorts of 'hellaflush' circles as i fitted a set of style 32's from a 7 series which was a first (i belive) as they were so agressive and required a lot of stretch and lows to carry them off. It was on some budget coilovers but looked the dogs - will always remember that car.

1230013501_imola2.thumb.jpg.3c6c0c47e8b23a9f8feb8611503e3764.jpg

next up was another 330ci this time a clubsport - 52 plate pre-facelift in estoril blue - it was a peach! 90k miles IIRC and just a rusty drivers wing - went to town on this coilovers / brand new Zito wheels / new headlights/ taillights / full respray etc wanted it MINT  

584478649_clubsport5.thumb.jpg.420c400e286e88b194d74be71023d391.jpg

after that i got a facelift 330ci in silver grey- another sunroof car which i love but had grey leather which i hate- so ripped it out and fitted a set of 'saddlebrown' leathers, fitted another set of style 32s' and some coilovers.

7605927390_48b714bd3f_b.jpg

I cant be arsed writing about the other 20 odd but here is some pictures of the ones i remember....  lets see some of yours and your thoughts on them?

black 325 1.jpg

Blue 330 2.jpg

BLACK 330 COUPE 4.jpg

b.jpg

A77FD3BB-DCD3-4633-9C72-C6EB62A6F906_zps9tcdmqmp.jpg

black 325 2.jpg

MbJdzcR.jpg

t51hfr 1.jpg

silver 325 3.jpg

imola 3.jpg

5.jpg

$_856666.JPG

2 (2).jpg

4t4.JPG

68563256_1058248637899492_3363009549396082688_n.jpg

grey 330 2.jpg

media.jpg

black 325 6.jpg

Convertible 330 1.jpg

SE 330 1.jpg

I don't think they are as crap as people on here make out. Mum had a Y reg 318i saloon from new. Still rotting in a driveway. Pretty reliable, survived 15 years in North London with my sister launching it off speed bumps. On original exhaust!

I had a 318ci. Door and window deals  were a nightmare. They always go. £300 a side and out of stock. Hated that car and got rid within months. Slow, noisy, horrible ride. Just grim.

Still can't have affected me too badly I'm currently driving an E91 320d with the old m47 engine they used in the E46 and I begrudgingly like it.

I bought 3 in a job lot.

This was the best of the 3. 318i, 8v with 5 speed box. Not fast but ran sweet as. I dailyied this for a bit and it was great.

14287659591_65f07a45f2_b.jpg5 by cort16, on Flickr

This all gold was a 316i auto with 50,000 miles on it with one owner. Had new wings and stuff fitted to it before I got it. The interior was even gold.

It only had 50,000 miles but it seems 50,000 miles with no oil changes as while driving it to work the oil pressure light started to flicker.

I did an engine flush and and oil change and it fixed it thank god.

14250221422_e512909f4a_b.jpgIMG_1107 by cort16, on Flickr

Finally this 320d touring. Was reasonably low mileage and had a nice leather interior. It'd had a new turbo fitted before I got it but it never ran right.

I changed the breather on the side of the engine, did a swirl flap delete and a few other bits. I eventually got it running nicely, drove it about 500 yards from home when it suddenly started smoking furiously and conked out. I couldn't get it going and sold it for spares. It was the last car I actively tried to make a profit on.

14297073955_485849c194_b.jpgIMG_1112 by cort16, on Flickr

My favourite (of two) was this one. 323CI manual, bought off of here. Sadly it was a bit thirsty for my drive to work, and in an arguable moment of madness I sold it. The new owner crashed it the same day they bought it, without insurance and licence. 

IMG_20191010_142404.thumb.jpg.2635fabc6075cdaaf286814852245e77.jpg

My friend has an M3, and I've driven it a couple of times. Not bad, not my thing as it needs to be driven in furious anger constantly, but sounds good. 

Never actually had an e46, had several e30s, e32, e28 and a couple of e36s.

Found the e36 quite disappointing after the e30 and imagine an e46 would be similar but with more wing rot and cheaper interior.

Having said that they are in prime AS territory at the moment as Joe Public wants a new one on tick and other than to drift boyz non-330cis must be pretty much worthless.

Had a couple, loved them both. My one previous owner (my GP) 318i Touring auto was my favourite. Low spec engine, but everything inside. Fuel economy wasn’t great around town but ok otherwise. It was never going to be super fast but the auto box allowed you to embarrass some others at the lights (for the first 100yds at least).

I've not owned one personally but worked on and driven plenty. My fave model was a 99 gingercator high spec 328ci manual... just felt right. I had a 320d Touring company car for a few months and loved that at the time, was my first diesel. 

Always thought the 330 was a bit boring as it was so refined with such a linear power delivery but having driven one recently after a few years they seem a bit more lively than I remember. 

Was underwhelmed with the stock M3 handling and brakes but the S54 engine is glorious. 

I don't seem to remember e36s being massively rustproof though. Worst rot point on e46s are front wings which are bolt on anyway. Otherwise they seem as much as a muchness as any other 14 yr plus old car. Only reason I got into old bms was because I wanted multi cylinder, rear wheel drive and a manual box. Tough shout even in 2013. That E39 5 series lived upto my expectations of what it should be. It was a lovely tidy car albeit high milage. Felt like every inch the premium product and lovely to drive. My E46 tbh not so much, but still good to drive and feels more of an event than other things I considered.

By no means a paid up fan boy and don't like the modern ones, but I have a feeling it's fashionable on here to have a do at ze German products whilst waxing lyrical about anything French or Italian. I see nowt to choose between them. Just different ways of doing the same job. I should know, I've owned a wide variety ?

image.thumb.jpeg.37864f2011b84b808ddb49cd5320d240.jpeg

Driven lots or e46s including a couple of M3s and was always impressed, just too small for me hence a lot more 5s on my c.v.

This one came from @HMC of this parish , a couple of summers ago , it was a 330d auto with loads of miles, but it went like a bastard. There were some receipts for a re-map at some point in its life. Number 1 daughter used it for about 6 months then the box started mis-behaving, advertised it as  spears/ reapers and got back what we paid.

1 minute ago, motorpunk said:

CBA to dig out a pic of mine. 2001 330Ci sport in silver with black leather and those MV2 alloys. Nice engine and reliable and economic but, really, I’m not sure I get all the fuss. PXed against a 968 Sport which was a billion times more interesting.

i dont get all the fuss with invacars on here but each to their own?

Never owned one but drove Tayne's 330ci on a few occasions when he lived across the road and also spent probably over a 1000 miles sitting passenger over the years.

Must say it was a bloody lovely thing to drive, but then he did maintain it very, very well.

I had a number of weeks in a brand new 330d MSport Touring this summer   - bloody hell that was impressive. Canny on the diesel  and went like a scalded cat. Would have one in an instant were the boot about 2' longer. Just no use for my work/leisure/ dog needs.

33 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

CBA to dig out a pic of mine. 2001 330Ci sport in silver with black leather and those MV2 alloys. Nice engine and reliable and economic but, really, I’m not sure I get all the fuss. PXed against a 968 Sport which was a billion times more interesting.

Oranges with oranges though to be fair pal. There's a world of difference between a 968 sport and an E46. Namely the cost of.