Project Bini - offers

Tartan58

Before wasting anyone's time this car is not roadworthy, and just outside Edinburgh - it is however very cheap. If this sounds of interest then read on....

This is your chance to save my project Bini from the scrappy, or worse still, Facebook Marketplace.

Kind of testing the water really (I hate when people say that in an advert!) but an impending house move and requiring the garage for other stuff during renovations of said new house plus general lack of time and enthusiasm means the sensible thing to do is get shot of it, and in so doing I am admitting failure that I've not been able to rescue this fine little car.

This is roughly what it looks like:

20190511_160417.thumb.jpg.3e7229e7157654156d7245a7eaa2b0ec.jpg20190511_135507.thumb.jpg.7eb00e82386114a27ff95d3bcd8ecb23.jpg

I say roughly because the stripes are gone and replaced with racing roundels on the bonnet and doors and a single stripe on the bonnet - which in my opinion looks awesome.

Bodily it's in excellent condition with no rust or dings however have a look at the MOT fail sheet,  scroll down if you can't be bothered looking it up - this all still needs doing however I do have new trackrod ends, ball joints, top mounts plus discs and pads which can be thrown in for a fair offer (cost me £200 from ECP)

Now the catch is that the lower nearside suspension bolt has sheared in-situ and the lower ball joint nut is butchered in a failed attempt to remove, this is the primary reason for me throwing in the towel.

As far as I can tell the engine is good as is the gearbox however I've only driven it 10miles since I bought it last April so absolutely no guarantees offered or implied - it has been garaged all that time and occasionally run up and down the drive.

Comes with a good wad of history including receipts for recon gearbox and new PAS pump around 40k miles ago.

The eagle-eyed among you will also spot a mileage discrepancy in the MOT history this is due to a change in speedo unit which has now been changed once more to one with roughly the correct mileage which is somewhere around 130k, of course no guarantees can be offered or implied.

It starts, drives and stops but would obviously need trailered away.

I'm just outside Edinburgh which I know limits my market on here for a non-roadworthy car but I'd rather it went to a good home and went back on the road than face the pain of trying to flog it elsewhere.

If anyone is seriously interested in giving this poor little Bini a good home give me a shout, any offers of 'some money' will be considered to get it out of my way. Obviously I'd like to recover some of my 'investment' if possible but I also appreciate that MOT'd Binis are dirt cheap at the moment.

Not sure if there is an appetite for Roffl-ing a non-roadworthy car but that may be an option if there is enough interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date tested14 August 2019

FAIL

View test certificate

Mileage135,564 miles

MOT test number5303 5053 5799

Test location

View test location

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Nearside Front Upper Macpherson strut mounting likely to fail top mount and bearing (5.3.3 (b) (ii)) -have parts

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Front Headlamp aim too low (4.1.2 (a))
  • Offside Front Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i)) -have parts
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i)) -have parts
  • Nearside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i)) -have parts
  • Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i)) -have parts

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated o/s and n/s (5.3.4 (b) (i)) -have parts
  • Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt o/s and n/s (2.1.3 (g) (i)) -have parts

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge 175-65-15 (5.2.3 (e))
  • Front Coil spring corroded o/s and n/s (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Rear Coil spring corroded o/s and n/s (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear brake sticking slightly
  • Rear exhaust rubbers slightly deteriorated
  • Nearside Front drive shaft seal leaking sligfhtly
  • Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement o/s and n/s positioned at rear of front arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear number plate lamp dull - done
  • fuel cap seal slightly deteriorated- done
  • clutch pedal rubber missing- done
  • Front Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened o/s and n/s (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened o/s and n/s (1.1.14 (a) (ii)) -have parts
  • Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened o/s and n/s (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • signs of coolant leak around thermostat housing area -no drips on garage floor after being sat for 10mths
  • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i)) -no drips on garage floor after being sat for 10mths
  • Power steering pipe/hose slightly corroded (2.1.5 (g) (i))
  • Power steering pipe/hose has slight seepage (2.1.5 (a)) -no drips on garage floor after being sat for 10mths

3 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

How much is some money ?

Seriously, any offers considered - if you can take it away in the next week or so with minimal hassle to me then I'm open to anything.

You will see from the thread in my sig that it cost me £350 to buy and I've spent about £400 on it getting the ABS pump sorted and buying the parts mentioned but obviously not expecting to recover anywhere near all that.

Wow that is quite a list! It seems like a good few could be down to a very picky tester though. Most cars have some surface rust on suspension parts, so are they really bad enough to be advised? I would think most probably not.  A couple of days would sort most of the rest of it out. Problem is they are worth square root of FA anyway. Shame it’s not closer as I would be tempted to put an offer in.

59 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

You need another tester chap! Looks mainly to be a new pair of suspension arms with BJs, track rods and some headlight adjustment.

Yes the tester was very 'thorough' wasn't too fussed by that to be honest as I was glad of a comprehensive list to work through. They quoted my £400 to get it through the MOT, now I wish I'd just gone and got it done (might still be an option I guess but my hacking about has probably added a few quid to that bill - never start something you can't finish!).

The snapped bolts were what did it for me not having the proper tools and with the house move coming up and renovations likely to take up all my time for the next year or so I'm throwing in the towel.

14 hours ago, rainagain said:

Do the sheared bolts stop it being driveable?

The bolts are still very solidly in place (otherwise I'd have had them out and changed) , car still drives but I wouldn't be risking any thing further than down the road.

35 minutes ago, Tickman said:

I've been recovered twice by autoaid. Both cars didn't have MOT and nothing was said either time.

They charged me £105 when my 307 shat it’s clutch on the way to its mot. The woman at the call centre checked it. It does state this somewhere in their terms and conditions. 

edit: found it, point 9 of their general conditions 

The vehicle must have an MOT (unlessexempt), be taxed, insured and registered in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Tartan58 said:

How very dare you, are you accusing me of being a Fifer ? - its South Queensferry!

I'm a Fifer who works in South Queensferry! Who mot'd it?

I don't think it'd be for me but I can view if it helps other shiters?

35 minutes ago, Tartan58 said:

It was tested at East Coast Tyres in SQ.

The car was originally from Kirkcaldy then lived in Wigton before going back to dunfermline before I got it.

(oh and I'm a Fifer by birth and like to keep the Kingdom close at hand!)

I work near there, was it sitting outside there for a while? I remember seeing a blue cooper lurking there I'm sure?