Project Josephine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good morning everybody and I do mean........ everybody.

The Espace has been doing very well indeed and has clocked up many miles without fault, however, there is an issue now.

I had a brief period of slightly rough running a couple of weeks ago, nothing major, a slight stutter. I thought it was crappy fuel but it got a little worse. I got a local mobile mechanic out who said that it wasn't plugs or leads and that the throttle body needed a clean. He did this and it seemed a lot better. However, coming back to St Helens on Sunday was an issue. It struggled to start for a while, previously a first turn of the key car. It was running roughly, revs were dropping and surging and would cut out.  AA were called but all seemed good, suspected crap in the fuel. Wasn't convinced but AA guy said to try and see how it fares on the journey to Merseyside. 

Off I went, on the A1 it started to judder, shake, and lose power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and called the AA again, same bloke turned up and sported relay out for me. I had a quick look, the front two injectors can be twisted from side to side whilst in situ. So maybe seals have become tired? Or fuel pump maybe?

Am going to contact Paul the Renault guru but he is very far away, too far to assist.

Anybody know of a local mechanic that is happy to deal with older cars in the locality?

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Good morning everybody and I do mean........ everybody.

The Espace has been doing very well indeed and has clocked up many miles without fault, however, there is an issue now.

I had a brief period of slightly rough running a couple of weeks ago, nothing major, a slight stutter. I thought it was crappy fuel but it got a little worse. I got a local mobile mechanic out who said that it wasn't plugs or leads and that the throttle body needed a clean. He did this and it seemed a lot better. However, coming back to St Helens on Sunday was an issue. It struggled to start for a while, previously a first turn of the key car. It was running roughly, revs were dropping and surging and would cut out.  AA were called but all seemed good, suspected crap in the fuel. Wasn't convinced but AA guy said to try and see how it fares on the journey to Merseyside. 

Off I went, on the A1 it started to judder, shake, and lose power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and called the AA again, same bloke turned up and sported relay out for me. I had a quick look, the front two injectors can be twisted from side to side whilst in situ. So maybe seals have become tired? Or fuel pump maybe?

Am going to contact Paul the Renault guru but he is very far away, too far to assist.

Anybody know of a local mechanic that is happy to deal with older cars in the locality?

Citroen Tune?

01744 759001

I spoke to Renner Paul who said the injectors rarely fail and that movement is ok, he reckons ICV or dizzy cap woes. He will call me later with more info.

Cheers re: Southport option but just wonder if it would get me there tbh.

Ta re:  Citroen Tune.

I reckon the ICV is a good candidate as he said that they can get a bit sticky. 

I will try and sort it first and foremost, then try the locals.

Thanks+++

Where...... St Helens.

Seats........ all of em, 7 in total

The crack........... it drives like it's missing and is idling badly.

How much, well it owes me for all the work done (cambelt, clutch, rear brake cables, fuel filter, alloys and down pipe) but ........... not sure make me an offer that isn't a punch in the throat.

Also I'd try disconnecting the MAP sensor and then try disconnecting the Lambda sensor (if it has one). There can't be many things wrong with this as there isn't a lot to them!

Did you try throwing new rotor+cap+leads+plugs?