Project Josephine

• 2 weeks later...

I have backed out of having Mr Clutch do the work. 

I have spoken to Paul instead and he has suggested I have a look at adjusting stuff to see if that helps withthe clutch.

I have the Espace booked into his place on the 14th March. 

Work to be done:

Clutch if required.

Coolant drain and flush

Thermostat change

Cambelt and tensioners

Sort oil leak

Oil and filter change

Heater resistor

Rear shocks, maybe front ones.

Sort the central locking

Sort the passenger window

Wiper stalk is iffy

I would like to get reversing sensors fitted at some point as well as the tints, I shall see how the money stacks up.

It's all taxed, insured and stuffs now anyway. 

32 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

I have backed out of having Mr Clutch do the work

Probably for the best - I know each one is different, but the one on the St Albans Road in Watford were (and possibly still are) a bunch of absolute cockwombles, who failed to correctly fit my clutch on any of the 4 occasions they tried. After the final stranding I ended up doing it myself.... I’ve had a low estimation of their ability since. 

It turns out that if you fit some components upside down, and don’t do the cover bolts up fully it may* stop working effectively. 

Loving the car though, my mates mum and dad had one when new, at the time it properly looked like the future.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes. 

Ken,

There is a chap on the YouTube who has done a grand job of building a stealth camper in a Vauxhall sintra.. which will be similar in size to your espace.

He's got a fair few videos talking throught what he had done, and a fair few smart (and cheap) things he has done to make van living good for him.

If you start with the video below, you can work through all the vids - he's currently got it set up to cope with -40oC in Alaska!

Hopefully it'll give you some ideas of effective changes/additions you can make to the espace to make it a comfortable and relaxing place to be!

Great old thing that, and well bought at that money I'd say!  My pal had one years ago, am I wrong in thinking they are largely plastic-skinned?  His was very used and abused (it blew it's top one day, so he just ran it without the rad cap forever more!), but was still a very comfy and reliable car, I was inspired and bought a Toyota Liteace shortly after... the same but very, very different.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:08 PM, rusty_vw_man said:

Probably for the best - I know each one is different, but the one on the St Albans Road in Watford were (and possibly still are) a bunch of absolute cockwombles, who failed to correctly fit my clutch on any of the 4 occasions they tried. After the final stranding I ended up doing it myself.... I’ve had a low estimation of their ability since. 

It turns out that if you fit some components upside down, and don’t do the cover bolts up fully it may* stop working effectively. 

Loving the car though, my mates mum and dad had one when new, at the time it properly looked like the future.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes. 

If you’re still in the area, use Fairway on Colonial Way. Tell them Foxy sent you. They kept my heaps going for a long time! 

It's probably got the same heater and crap arrangement as they have in my GTA, in which case the plastic multi-plug that goes onto the fan resistor pack with have gone rusty and melted everything. I ended up chopping the plug off and replacing it with individual spade terminals. I also ended up switching the maximum speed through a relay because the dashboard switch couldn't handle the current after twenty-odd years. Renault might* have worked that one out by 1996 though.

Phil

*Probably not

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Big Frenchie over to Worthing yesterday to have it looked over by Paul as recommended earlier in t he thread. He and his mate are most excellent people. He gave the Espace a good looking at and pronounced it a good'un. He sorted out the electric windows and a few other bits such as lubing the clutch cable to see if that helped, it did a bit, all for a couple of hours labour at £much cheap.

It needs a clutch and the cambelt doing. The front section of the exhaust is blowing a good bit but there is now a temp repair on there.  New fuel filter required as the original is still on there lol. 

A couple of weeks should see it all done. 

• 3 weeks later...

All fixing via Paul on hold due to the plague obvs.

I have been using the old girl to go to work in and she is such a nice old waffle-like thing to drive. I have adjusted the clutch cable so no more crunching into gear.

Engine is a lovely thing, very willing yet quite relaxing to drive.

Happily plodding on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent more time cleaning the interior of the old bus, it's rather tidier inside now.

My lovely female friend is going to give me a rug that fits almost perfectly, just a trim around the rear wheel arch tubs and it will be happy days. Nice thick tufty rug too.

K300 JPR has now been transferred onto the Espace. I just want to get the car sorted mechanically.

Am getting a piece of chequer plate to put onto the rear bumper, it has split in the middle and is fragile.  I have some black bed liner paint to spray on it first as it is tatty. I'll then screw on the chequer plate which will go along the majority of the bumper to reinforce it and to stave off any further damage, well, as best as it can anyway.  It might deter people using the Espace as a parking guide. Maybe.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, Angrydicky said:

That looks pretty decent for the money Ken. Can’t remember the last time I saw an Espace of that generation.

I saw one in Asda carpark in Rayleigh, Rawreth Lane a few weeks ago also in white and looked in excellent nick, also an N reg too IIRC.