Xsara - screenwash fixed

beko1987

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i think mr beko needs to polish the cateracts on xara๐Ÿ˜Ž

I had them done a couple of years ago, didn't make much difference ๐Ÿ˜ข

New headlights cost more than the car is worth so I just keep hoping it passes rhe mot each year ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคžย 

• 3 weeks later...

I have screenwash again!ย 

It died on the way to work Monday, so I ordered a new pump, which came yesterday.ย 

Nice and quiet at work/I've done so many hours these past couple of weeks for no extra pay I could have all next week off and still come out on top so don't feel bad.ย 

IMG20240202091055.thumb.jpg.5ce452754e96bc8bc58e4939c4aaa120.jpg

Only the finest quality parts here!ย 

Peeling back the arch liner and cutting 1 cable tie gave me the access I needed, so I pulled the old pump and saved the fresh screenwash I'd filled it with the prior Saturday...ย 

IMG20240202092105.thumb.jpg.045eef3d017bf0ed178578abf6fd2c8b.jpg

Fitted the new pump, sloshed a bit back in filtering it through a microfiber cloth as I went as there was some dirt that came out and... It leaked!ย 

Out it all came again, I tried again and it still dripped. Ffs never mind does it work? No.ย 

Got the multimeter out and there was no juice at the wires

IMG20240202093318.thumb.jpg.f8aaa5c5c7ca8e841e95a53b40062829.jpg

Turns out it was the fuses, I was just looking at the wrong one (because the diagram in the manual bears zero relation to the fuse box I have.) Borrowed a 10a from somewhere else and 12v was restored.

Back out with the new pump, and I fitted it back in with the old rubber seal and it's not leaking anymore, and the washer jets are a shit load more powerful now! The old pump was knackered, between leak 1 and after the multimeter shot above I refitted the OG one assuming the new pump was just shite quality, changed the fuse from something else and it fired it once and blew the fuse again. Old seal and new pump sorted it

Also noticed the last proper fixing for the undertray had gone awol and it was flapping in the breeze like so many golf's and insignias I see on the m40, so I deployed more cable ties. There are now zero proper fixings holding it on, and it's probably stronger for it!ย 

Need to go into town at lunchtime and get more fuses (no idea what I robbed a fuse from and I don't care for now) and it should be good to go again! I'm also dripping wet after laying in mud and screenwash to fit the pump and sort the undertray.ย 

Almost 174k on the original pump, and I've had it empty and frozen many times so I'll forgive it. Hopefully this new one lasts at least a year

• beko1987 changed the title to Xsara - screenwash fixed
On 02/02/2024 at 10:35, beko1987 said:

I have screenwash again!ย 

It died on the way to work Monday, so I ordered a new pump, which came yesterday.ย 

Nice and quiet at work/I've done so many hours these past couple of weeks for no extra pay I could have all next week off and still come out on top so don't feel bad.ย 

IMG20240202091055.thumb.jpg.5ce452754e96bc8bc58e4939c4aaa120.jpg

Only the finest quality parts here!ย 

Peeling back the arch liner and cutting 1 cable tie gave me the access I needed, so I pulled the old pump and saved the fresh screenwash I'd filled it with the prior Saturday...ย 

IMG20240202092105.thumb.jpg.045eef3d017bf0ed178578abf6fd2c8b.jpg

Fitted the new pump, sloshed a bit back in filtering it through a microfiber cloth as I went as there was some dirt that came out and... It leaked!ย 

Out it all came again, I tried again and it still dripped. Ffs never mind does it work? No.ย 

Got the multimeter out and there was no juice at the wires

IMG20240202093318.thumb.jpg.f8aaa5c5c7ca8e841e95a53b40062829.jpg

Turns out it was the fuses, I was just looking at the wrong one (because the diagram in the manual bears zero relation to the fuse box I have.) Borrowed a 10a from somewhere else and 12v was restored.

Back out with the new pump, and I fitted it back in with the old rubber seal and it's not leaking anymore, and the washer jets are a shit load more powerful now! The old pump was knackered, between leak 1 and after the multimeter shot above I refitted the OG one assuming the new pump was just shite quality, changed the fuse from something else and it fired it once and blew the fuse again. Old seal and new pump sorted it

Also noticed the last proper fixing for the undertray had gone awol and it was flapping in the breeze like so many golf's and insignias I see on the m40, so I deployed more cable ties. There are now zero proper fixings holding it on, and it's probably stronger for it!ย 

Need to go into town at lunchtime and get more fuses (no idea what I robbed a fuse from and I don't care for now) and it should be good to go again! I'm also dripping wet after laying in mud and screenwash to fit the pump and sort the undertray.ย 

Almost 174k on the original pump, and I've had it empty and frozen many times so I'll forgive it. Hopefully this new one lasts at least a year

Another win for the Xsara!ย 

3 hours ago, abir246 said:

Another win for the Xsara!ย 

Yep! I'm hoping these small jobs aren't suddenly all going to come at once though. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Car is still dry and it hasn't all leaked out, so thats good. If after some miles it all vibrates loose I need to remember not to panic and it's not coolant ๐Ÿ˜‚ (coolant is still an ever go gentle occasional drip and has been since doing the belt so that's fine)ย 

7 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Yep! I'm hoping these small jobs aren't suddenly all going to come at once though. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Car is still dry and it hasn't all leaked out, so thats good. If after some miles it all vibrates loose I need to remember not to panic and it's not coolant ๐Ÿ˜‚ (coolant is still an ever go gentle occasional drip and has been since doing the belt so that's fine)ย 

My current small job is observing how long it takes for my headlights to obtain condensation - deleting the cap for bulb replacements helps but I dare not refit it in case it all respawns again ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

1 hour ago, abir246 said:

My current small job is observing how long it takes for my headlights to obtain condensation - deleting the cap for bulb replacements helps but I dare not refit it in case it all respawns again ๐Ÿคฃ

That doesn't sound fun, plus being a modern don't you need to be careful of moisture messing stuff up?ย 

Or drill it a drain hole, fit a tiny pc fan to each one to circulate the air ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜…

Love the profile pic too ๐Ÿ‘Œ

ย 

10 hours ago, beko1987 said:

ย 

That doesn't sound fun, plus being a modern don't you need to be careful of moisture messing stuff up?ย 

Or drill it a drain hole, fit a tiny pc fan to each one to circulate the air ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜…

Love the profile pic too ๐Ÿ‘Œ

ย 

I'll start whispering scrapyard quotes into it if it starts to act up with moisture - I did that with my old disastra and was rewarded with mechanical bliss xD

Drilling a hole would be excellent, but not sure if it constitutes as ermm, legal, and hah thanks! It's the face I pull when I hear the bm's warning chime so very appropiate

ย 

ย