Xsara - screenwash fixed

beko1987

9 hours ago, Talbot said:

It was seized, and fairly solidly.  One of the very few wins I had with this was to be able to un-seize it and copper grease it.

Really quite pleasing to hear that the rear wiring was a relatively easy fix.  Just needs the key coding back to the car now (be that a BSI reset or possibly needing a prod from a lexia)

I am stunned how clean you've managed to get it too.  Really amazed.  Glad to hear it's still providing great daily transport.  With how well you're looking after it, It's probably only half-way through it's life.

Ah that's why it was fairly fresh! Bloody clean under there isn't it! 

I'm wondering if it needs a poke with a lexia now. Luckily, again @Wingz123 sent me an excited message a few weeks ago saying he had a hooky lexia/pp2000 if needed. Sounds like it could be a next step

But it's mega non urgent, need to get it through its mot first. Driving to work this morning though with just the 2 wheels I swapped the vibration at 60 has gone! 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

I might be teaching yous to suck eggs but,

If you type 'xsara -picasso' into ebay the minus sign will filter out all the picasso listings.

Not sure on other search engines though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=xsara+-picasso+light+cluster&_sacat=0

No I didn't know that, that's very handy. Got slightly different results than making it choose parts that fit my car (with my specs plumbed in). 

Still no match though. I'd almost like to see if the hatch bulb holders use the same metal contacts as I could cut a bulbs worth out, fit and solder back to the original traces. Cba to buy one to find out though! 

20 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Mmm it's the right size and shape, but from a LHD car... Will it have the same bulb layout etc? 

My dad found one listed from a breakers and sent me the quote. I've just phoned up and asked if it has the bulb holder, waiting for a call back. 

If the LHD bulb setup is the same then it's the best price yet! 

1 minute ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

you might find there is nuffink wrong with that spare as it has been out of direct sunlight

Everything about it looks and feels right tbh.

Before I get my tyres changed I need to swap them round so the shit 2 are on the front. At the moment their on diagonal sides on the car and I can't lift that reliably with axle stands and a jack so I'll wang it on and see how flat it looks!

I dunno, I just remember coming home from Shitefest 2015. The ZX was wearing 4 brand new tyres, maybe 2 months old. Burst 2 trying not to swipe 3 bikes out who were overtaking me at the time, bastards. Pulled over (only 1 had gone at this point). Unloaded an entire fucking shitefest worth of shit out of the boot, dropped the spare (breaker bar and windy thing were at the back, of course). This revealed the even more beautiful unused fucking 1994 spare. On it went...

I then got about 10/15 miles up the road before an impact mark on the other tyre let go and into the verge I went. Luckily these new tyres were on new wheels (old ones were corroded as fuck with mega shit tyres on, cracked sidewalls, the lot). The Ex drove (heavily pregnant) to somewhere about 15 miles near Hereford with an wheel, the fucking worst one she could find. We drove 100+ miles home, and I've never stuck to the inside lane so fucking much in my life! Both tyres opened up allll their cracks when I let the car down on them, were all a bit flat (again, had to shit myself at a random BP hoping it doesnt explode as I put some PSI in before chickening out).

Hell, I pumped the spare up on the blue laguna once, it lived in the boot and I put the nozzle on and stood around the side of the car as it went from like 7psi to 34, not really knowing what it was like physically...

I dunno, tyres just make me a bit paranoid. Whilst  I have the means, I'll do it. I shod my last ZX in 4 new tyres and (bar a puncture) had zero issues at all from that department thereafter! Again, that puncture! This time an original 1997 (I dunno what it is about the cars I buy, there is a pattern) spare, although at least it had been driven on, and at least within the last millennium by the looks of it so I didn't mind so much lobbing that on for a few days.

Well, that will teach me. Got a front sidelight bulb out. No bother, says I...

I removed the bloody dipped beam bulb by accident, and can now get neither in! The ABS block is too close to the back of the headlights, and I can't fully work out how to remove them to make the whole job easier...

Anyone done it before? There is a white clip of some sort buried down by the radiator, but it started utterly fucking it down so I had to abandon the job and run inside.

I asked on the Facebook group and... Bumper off! 

Fuck off... I'll remove the air box and give it a go, even if I tear my hands to shreds! Currently fucking it down atm though... Abs is unplugged, bonnet is resting on the plastics I need to refit.

Today started out well intentioned enough. Tyre man turned up at 9.30 and was done by 9.48. So I went out at lunchtime and took the back wheel off and fitted the spare

20200818_122629.thumb.jpg.ff5d48eaa13a094d6a2d9286f7857d16.jpg

Which held air! Sidewall looks like the desert though! 

This allowed me to put both new tyres on the front and the 2 not too perished Michelin on the back. Spare went back under the car, fronts look nice now

20200818_123625.thumb.jpg.84d1524750e2a5bf52f88751fc479f5b.jpg

Bulbs for the rear lights haven't arrived, but the new numberplate lights have. One had a lens missing, although both bulbs still worked. Tenner for the pair, it seemed silly not to

20200818_165541.thumb.jpg.9c075eceb44a9ea8485d24d779b597a3.jpg

Does smarten it up

20200818_170152.thumb.jpg.f47a49076f488435575b88a335c765dc.jpg

Then onto the front, because there's a sidelight out. Easy, right? 

20200818_183800.thumb.jpg.81593b7f2b66ecb638d5038f7e5c4b09.jpg

And after removing and moving the abs pump on its pipes, the air box and unbolting the air box bracket from the chassis I could get the bulbs in and out... And it doesn't work. Known working bulb, doesn't work... Works in the drivers side. 

So no MOT until this is fixed... I've asked on the forums if it's likely to be the headlight or wiring to it... But I think the bumper is going to have to come off to do it... 

Ho hum! 

I really hope for your sake it's not the dreaded comms2000 doing typical comms2000 fun

i'd be quite tempted to clean the hell out of the connector and bend the pins slightly so it makes a better connection

typical stupid french design though, it;s always the headlight bulbs which are a total nightmare

or as above it could be corrosion on the lamp holder, i do know PSA headlights tend to get damp inside pretty quickly

Think my plan is to just ignore it for now, then the next free Saturday I have (rain or not) have the front bumper off so I can check everything properly and get my multimeter on the pins

Could do it at the FoD on Saturday but again, it's a bit far away if it all goes wrong! 

Boom! 

My stop/tail light bulbs came. Was 20p more to buy many... 

20200819_132313.thumb.jpg.05a513b5e6563c408511e211fef3f2fc.jpg

So when the rain paused I went out, plugged the new bulb holder in and... Still no sidelight

However I was reading this morning and the ever brilliant French car forum came up. Turns out there's 2 fuses for the sidelights, and they work on the diagonal corner, so I presume the car isn't in full darkness on one side if one goes. Clever, but FUCKING ANNOYING, I cut my hands to shreds in vain. 

Aha

20200819_130530.thumb.jpg.cbeff96299143db71358cbd9c596a4d2.jpg

Bunged a 10a in and

20200819_130749.thumb.jpg.ca1d827f5127a9b54e1b979b66fd9afa.jpg

20200819_130416.thumb.jpg.b054c905aa136adb7d3eddba3f1ad0bc.jpg

Of course both sidelights at the front are now bloody different, but they work, I never have them on their own, it's either no lights or headlights, they'll pass the test (hopefully) 

Next job now I think, get it in for a test... Whilst everything needed works

• 3 weeks later...

20200904_090221.thumb.jpg.b6c568c7383c03e2ce9b4d5af4e51c3f.jpg

Its out of my hands now! Guy said lunchtime so I'll start checking at about 10.30.GL02BHX

In a sign of hopefully a good omen I noticed the front undertray hanging down this morning... Quick swing by home before dropping eva off at school and she handed me snips and ties and now it's solid again!