Festival Unexceptional 2020?

DBrown67

2 hours ago, barrett said:

Not fussed about this event, but can we PLEASE see a thread about that Regal, which is quite literally the best thing I have ever seen in my entire life?!?!

The videos he's done about it are fantastic.

21 hours ago, barrett said:

Not fussed about this event, but can we PLEASE see a thread about that Regal, which is quite literally the best thing I have ever seen in my entire life?!?!

Glad some of you guys like it. I didn't really take any pics of the restoration but as mentioned I did make a few videos of progress once I got the body rubbed down. I was sort of half way through before staring to make videos which isn't the best way to document anything. :P

I'd love for Hubnut to do a review of this car and I was in touch before he went away to the other side of the planet. So maybe it's possible for the future.

There's 5 videos in total on my channel. Here's part 1:

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to register the tricycle on the official "Car Festival" site. Gotta say that website layout is awful! So painful to navigate. And half the pictures I uploaded (including the main one) are upside down for some reason. But on my PC they are all fine. I tried the "rotate" option on their site which seems useless, as it doesn't save. And I tried re-uploading the pics after rotating them on my PC. No joy. So my application looks like shite now. ? Has anyone else had such issues?

Buggerations, seems my car is outside the limit by just under a month, that is if they're going by the model year. Might be worth popping a E-mail to them about it but I don't really know if it's worth it.

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

As far as I can see they are only currently taking registrations for the concours - "normal" tickets aren't available.  Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

I think you're right. But like I say, navigating that site and trying to find out info is a nightmare. I have sent them an email through the site and managed to get the main pic changed to be right way up. But the others a mostly upside down and it;s bloody infuriating. I can't fix it.

• 1 month later...

Event cancelled!    Have to say I think the entire show season could be a write off.  Even when the restrictions start to be lifted the powers that be will keep a limit on public gatherings. I reckon no organised events will be allowed till September/October time. (When schools and unis go back).  Hope I'm wrong though.

I think they've called this a bit early, personally.  There would have been very little harm and risk in waiting 2 further weeks.

Gutted doesn't cut it.  Bumbling down to Buckinghamshire in convoy with @Spottedlaurel, @trigger, @Brodders and @wuvvum was the highlight of the 2019 calendar for me.  Such a shame.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:05 PM, DBrown67 said:

LOL yeah... but for 21E spec it should have 1 spot lamp and one fog lamp. But the fog lamp didn't work. So I decided to fit a second Lucas LR6 spot lamp to make the front look a bit cleaner. One of each lamp sort of spoiled the look a bit, but it was correct spec.

That is one sweet little Reliant.

My Dad had a Regal 21E (VKP881J) and it did indeed have one spot and one fog lamp fitted to it and i'm 99% certain it had orange indicator lens too.

His one was painted a light metalic blue (metalic paint i think was one of the 21 extras) but it was badly faded when he traded it in for a caramel coloured super Robin (GKN306N) in 1980.

38 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I’m still fingers crossed Chumley will be on on September 22nd... 

That was my first thought when FOTU fell. Seems inconceivable that we couldn't do Chumley this year. Suppose a lot depends on the 'second wave'....

1 hour ago, 808 Estate said:

Never understood the fascination with nailing plywood to the side of a car. :D

Otherwise, awesome.

Initially a nostalgic throwback to wagons and horses

Kept alive by surf culture 

We’re loading up our Woodie
With our boards inside

– The Beach Boys, 'Surfin’ Safari'

I got a ’34 wagon and I call it a Woodie
Surf City here we come

– Jan and Dean, 'Surf City'

3 hours ago, DarrenKC53 said:

whilst I suspect restrictions will be relaxed can’t see large gatherings being allowed this year. 

Very much this.  I am sure that even if there is a relaxation of current rules, the relaxation will be in terms of shops opening and people being able to go back to work.  Schools will likely be next.

Then restaurants will be allowed to open again, but likely with some distancing rules.  Then maybe things like cinemas, but again with distancing rules.

Large gatherings will still be banned and likely to be one of the last things to be relaxed.  Along with pubs and clubs I would expect.  Anywhere where it's expected / necessary for you to be shoulder-to-shoulder with other people will be off the table for a long time.

I've a feeling that the 2m separation markers at tesco are going to be there for a long time yet.