Shite on the Radar: Obsolete Liabilities - ANYONE WITH A BCA ONLINE ACCOUNT?

dc2100k

My curiosity has got the better of me and I’ve decided I’d quite like to sample a last-of-the-line SAAB 9-5. This has always struck me as one of the best looking cars on the road, even in the horrendous pov spec white that my neighbour has. The clincher however is when I had a sit inside - what a beautiful interior, the antithesis on modern shitty car/tablet hybrids. There is also the fact that the wife does not like SAABs and I do, which adds to the allure/likelihood of a tiff; anyway we will be leaving the UK in the next few years to go somewhere that no doubt has neither the availability or prospect of maintaining such an obsolete motor so I may as well do it now. 

Idly looking through Autotrader shows the usual optimists looking for £5k +, however completed listings on Ebay shows a more sensible £2.5-£3.5k range. These cars actually seem to be holding up rather well compared to the 9-3s, with very frilly edges on display. I have identified a car coming up for auction at BCA in Derby on the 17th which I would take a punt on at the right price, but I’m not prepared to travel for a cheap sight unseen motor at auction (because I know from experience that’s not the way to spend way over the odds on a fucked shed because it seems a better option than buying a full price train ticket home ?)

Anybody local to Derby BCA planning to go to the auction on the 17th? I’m sure it’s a chod-hunter’s paradise right enough! Alternatively does anyone have a BCA Online account that can do distance bidding? I’m not in the trade so not eligible for an Online account apparently.

B1A130E9-7A71-4B28-988C-754F948BBEE9.png

8C964013-5E36-4F87-9117-5546E5AC50F3.png

5FB473DB-AD2D-407E-BD64-30D3C752AA38.png

38 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Sadly I can't help, but they are as nice to drive as they are to sit in. 

This is a 2.0L Turbo (classic SAAB that), is that what you drove? Good performance? I believe it's got 220bhp or similar.

Anyway, the car seems to check out. Good MOT history, mileage is not-intergalactic. Pics show a car that has been fairly well looked after but with a few cosmetic issues which should hopefully keep the price down.

I had a diesel 2.0 turbo for a couple of days. Was really comfortable, really nice cushioned ride, and reasonably economical. Was fairly brisk, but my Saab at the time had 300bhp so comparisons into performance weren't fair.

Interior and equipment were good, think it was a Vector SE.

I'd love one, but Saabs are very few and far between in Spain, so would have issues if anything went wrong.

46 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

would have issues if anything went wrong.

I think the same applies here in the UK too.

In fact I think this may be part of the reason I'm contemplating this car. I think they only made 10,000 of them, I'm not sure what the spare parts situation is but I can guarantee parts cars are few and far between. A chap I apprehended in a car park once upon a time told me that it shares many parts with a Vauxhall Insignia so I suppose where there's a will there's a way to keep these things on the road.

In any case it doesn't look like I can find anyone with a BCA Online account so the plan is unravelling.

Never had an issue getting anything for my 9-5, either on line from various suppliers or from Abbott Tuning. Quite a few independent garages across the UK.

Loved my 9-5 but I would have had massive issues getting it matriculated for a Spanish registration, due to all the mods on it.

I had no problems selling a 14 year old Saab, with plenty interested in it.

Like the Citroen C6, I don't think these well ever be in 'cheap banger' territory, instead moving seamlessly from second-hand car to collector's item, so now seems like the time to buy. One of the only modern cars I would really like to own, they are such a looker,  really smart and dignified, and rare enough not to be anonymous. If you can find a way, go for it.

47 minutes ago, barrett said:

Like the Citroen C6, I don't think these well ever be in 'cheap banger' territory, instead moving seamlessly from second-hand car to collector's item, so now seems like the time to buy. One of the only modern cars I would really like to own, they are such a looker,  really smart and dignified, and rare enough not to be anonymous. If you can find a way, go for it.

Agree with all of the above. Not looking good for my part though, trying to tap up some old friends in the motor industry to see if they have accounts. Otherwise it looks to be a no go. Shame really, it's the right colour & spec and appears to be in a condition (mileage/cosmetics) that might bring it into an interesting price bracket.

Hi Jamie, no that’s fine i don’t think it’s going to be a goer so no point really. The car is probably worth about £2.5k to me including the buyers fees. I reckon you could run it for a year and get another MOT on it for £1k or less then sell it for breakeven. Any more than that and you’re into collectors money.