bangernomics

What was your first crash in?

On 2/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I also note that Volvos don't seem to feature in this thread......

1989 240GL, attempting to replicate a series of roundabout drifts that had gone so well with just me in the car resulted, somehow, in the offside front wheel twatting a curb at considerable speed. None of the rear seat passengers spilled their drinks, but the wheel was folded nearly in half. Fearing catastrophic suspension and steering damage I stuck the spare on and it was absolutely fine 

My first car back in October, passed my test on Tuesday, got the car back from passing it’s mot on the Thursday, new front discs and pads, couple of new tyres (cheapest I could get ha ha you can see where this is going) after sitting on my drive for two years. Wrote it off around 12:30am Sunday morning, car full of mates, been driving around all night going nowhere in particular just because we could. Was about to drop them home heading across a wet roundabout not even at speed lost the back end, thought no problem let’s correct this.... snap corrected into a lamppost. Car was undrivable, scrapped for £70 which was about how much it cost me to get it moved off the road anyway. Gutted, car was my aunties before mine and was way better than the knackered Volvo S40 I replaced it with.

FFD9A668-FB7C-4FD7-B192-A1D26F5005CD.jpeg

8989A993-72A6-413A-BA74-04D8AF2B1FEF.jpeg

First crash on four wheels was just after passing my test in 1978 in a HB Viva. Lost the back end on a damp right hander,over corrected it and ended up fishtailing off the road, through a hedge into someones front garden. The family were sat at their front window dining table having sunday lunch. I waved sheepishly, reversed out and fucked off sharpish.

Around 2000, I had been working as counter staff for a motor factors for about a month at the time and a customer rang up desperate for some parts, all our vans were out doing deliveries so my manager told me that i had to do it in my car, obviously the answer was no but he threatened to sack me if i didn't do so begrudgingly i done it, low and behold on the way back some Doris in a Renault 21 Savanna pulled out of Travis Perkins straight in front of me and the T boned her.

scan0030.thumb.jpg.23a7ad5d9bf69ce4ebbb10555b6c5aaf.jpg

I was absolutely gutted, there was a bloody great row in the office when i got back, the assistant manager threw a computer at the manager, and a cup of tea and the area manager had to come down and split it all up sending the assistant manager to a different branch to work! I got a Citroen C15 to use for a while the insurance wrote my car off :(

I have had 3 crashes in my near 40 years of driving, and all in the last 5 years. Ist one in a citroen c5. I got blinded by a chav with his in an old corsa coming the other way on a tight corner and hit the crash barrier. Second one in a pug 106 diesel late at night in a snowstorm, a guy coming the other way lost control in a corner and t-boned me. Police had both of us in their jeep, they asked him what had happened and he said he was running at 45 on the cruise control to keep his speed down. I said "fucking idoit" The copper looked at me and said "I'm not allowed to say so but I tend to agree with you" Third one was about a year ago was when a deer decided to commit suicide and chose the front of my newly bought 3 days earlier seat leon as it's way to go. One written off leon later my insurance paid me £3600 for a car I just paid 3000 for, and I bought a year newer one which I still have for 2300!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

in 1993, 17 year-old me managed to be barreling down the A34 southbound just north of Winchester in my mother's 1984 Talbot Horizon.  While checking in my mirror that I had fully passed the Volvo 740 in lane 1, my attention was drawn to something in front.  Said item was a brown 70's mini, stationary at about 45degrees in lane 2, and the candles-in-jamjars that the Horizon had for illumination had just picked it up.  The inevitable fucking-massive-crash involved me punting the mini about 100 yards down the road while simultaneously being thrown to my left into lane 1, where the ovloV I had just passed utterly demolished the passenger side of the Talbot.

I was knocked unconcious by the initial impact and wasn't aware of the second one until much later.  I woke up in the car, wondered why I couldn't release my seatbelt, and had to pull all of the slack out and slide under it to get out.  I also later discovered that the Mini driver had pulled from lane one to lane two without shoulder checking,  had twatted a maestro van, spun it and then just got out and left it there with no lights on.

We were all recovered off the motorway up to the junction between the A34 and the M3 to a Shell fuel station, where various bits of paperwork were done.  By utter and bizzare co-incidence, not 6 months later I ended up working nights at the same fuel station.  One night a Police officer comes in for coffee, and we recognise each other.  After some head-scratching as to why, it turns out he was the officer in charge the evening of the crash.  He told me then that he'd never seen a car so badly damaged where the driver got out and walked away.

Had an absolutely massive bruise across my chest from the seatbelt (which unquestionably saved my life) and I still 25+ years later walk with a limp due to damaged cartilage in my hip.  Had various other little bumps and bashes over the years, but that one stands out as "the biggie".

Also cemented my inbuilt distrust of insurance companies, as they managed to completely wriggle out of any sensible pay-out for the incident.  I don't recall how they managed it, but we ended up with about £300 for the Talbot, which at the time was worth way more than that.

My first ever car. An Audi 80.  😃

I should however qualify that statement with an Audio 80 - F103 circa 1970s vintage in beige.

Was purchased for £20 as a project by a spotty 17 year old so I could learn to drive on a private road. The car featured a number of unique featrures such as being left hand drive with column change. The ability to check tyres through the "clear view" access hole on the top of the wings and a dashboard made from pressed steel and covered in wood grained fablon.

Anyway, atfer about 20 minutes of driving, I had convinced myself I had mastered starting and stopping and I should next try handbrake turns. Approaching the turning space at the end of the lane I simultaneously swung the wheel and grabbed the handbrake with all the intensity a spotty teen can manage while stamping on the accelerator. Unfortunately, not realising it was front wheel drive, I span the wheels, lost it and became a shell shocked passenger looking forlornly out of the windscreen in a state of mild horror as I went through the neighbours hedge sideways. 😲

I ended up having to pay the local farmer £20 to tow it back out with his tractor and another £20 to the neighbour to buy some more privet.

At this point, I thought "fuck it", I will stick to motorbikes.

I ended up swapping the car for a Motorhead record.

Not actual car.

audi-f103-2-door-front-side-tisdagstraff

bb71a0f80c43116bbf9919d8fc046bd3.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, my Talbot Samba Style 950* CC had an argument with a roadsweepers lorry as my brother kept distracting me while I was driving to school. Was only just turned 18 so early November 1996.

post-24583-0-53283900-1540228643.thumb.jpg.2cc034cbbec3e1c627147bdbcfe375c6.jpg

Wasn't standard as 1360 lump fitted. The roadsweepers got written off as well. That's a young me with arm in plaster, I think dad still has that jumper.