bangernomics

What was your first crash in?

Mine was in my mk2 fiesta popular plus, I was reversing in a lay by to turn around to go to the shop and buy a lottery ticket but being a youth I swung it around briskly and my wallet flew off the shitty tray/dashboard.

I didn’t stop reversing whilst trying to retrieve it and like a tool reversed off the road and arse first into a ditch and got stuck.

Had to be towed out by a passing 4x4.

Brand new Maestro 1.6 auto, understeered it off the road into a solicitors office.  Was working at a dealer and I'd collected it for some warranty work - got fired, but that led directly to me meeting the girl who became my wife, so all good.

Singer Chamois into a bollard in Sainsburys car park when I was working as a trolley wally. Mate went through the non-laminated window. Lots of scarring but kept his eye. 

FB_IMG_1581597916031.thumb.jpg.08e63573f771db9cdc2b78bae77e0b1e.jpg

Car was eventually resurrected with a Sunbeam front end but the VIN plate went missing and it ended up being registered as a Q plate by the bloke I sold it too when he got pulled over by the police who thought he was trying to blag zero tax LAND ROVER STYLIIIEEEE. 

FB_IMG_1581598054161.thumb.jpg.ca496f7300ebe57d5be4c615ca34b644.jpg

Did a bit of digging a few years ago and suspect it may still exist but under a different plate. The garage that are the last known custodians of it were very cagey when I was speaking to them trying to establish its fate. 

It was a 1989 Citroen CX 22TRS, came round a blind bend, in a marked no stopping zone to find a woman who had just parked on double yellows just past the apex of the bend in her Nissan Sunny. I would have been fine if there had been space to avoid but a transit was coming the other way. The ABS on the CX worked perfectly and i steered for the only gap possible (between the sunny and transit) in the end not enough of a gap and I opted to hit the back of the stationary Nissan and not the oncoming van. Both cars were written off, although both still driveable. I was 19 and that CX was my dream car.  I was not happy. The woman in the sunny was surprised the accident was deemed her fault by the insurance. 

VW Vento when I was a kid. 

An idiot turned right down a junction in front of us and my aul lad ditched it, avoiding a head on collision.  I don't remember it being wrote off, they were solidly built cars.  We all walked away. 

'76 Dolomite 1850HL.

20131111_091943_1024x576.thumb.jpg.523de062ff9b0f02f0b5f7e4165065cb.jpg

Slipped the clutch in 2nd gear while taking the first exit at a mini roundabout on a wet day. Back end span out, fishtailed, span right around, over the kerb and backwards in to a concrete/steel fence.

20131111_074136_1024x576.thumb.jpg.a776c1d03beaace57eda5069eb2b6752.jpg

One smashed alloy and bent halfshaft + one fucked rear wing.

20131121_144405_1024x576.thumb.jpg.e7f8fddddaa81a033c5b7297cb736c66.jpg

20131121_144351_1024x576.thumb.jpg.9d4ac3b9859d1a7379f70ce498292030.jpg

I'd owned the car a whole fortnight and it was never the same afterwards, turns out the impact had caused the front subframe to partially collapse into the chassis leg and rest on the steering column, but I didn't find that out until a couple of years of motoring had passed...

2 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

'76 Dolomite 1850HL.

Slipped the clutch in 2nd gear while taking the first exit at a mini roundabout on a wet day. Back end span out, fishtailed, span right around, over the kerb and backwards in to a concrete/steel fence.

One smashed alloy and bent halfshaft + one fucked rear wing.

Crash? That's just the result of normal everyday driving for me. ;) 

VW polo, mark 2 bread van,

coming around the twisty bit of road near Apple Orchard i had a back tyre blow out on it, i fish tailed all over the road, including i remember at one point been sideways before mounting the kerb and coming to rest in brick wall.

it scared the bloody life out of me!

i had owned the car for something like 4 and a half years and the insurance paid out damn near what i'd paid for the car.

Off road a quatro as co driver full roll.

On Road well a Tesco car park some woman reversed into me then tried to claim it was my fault, I was stationary.

It was my brown Nova!

In 6th Form I gave my then girlfriend a lift home, but didn’t know where she lived. She told me to “turn left now” so being an over confident 17 year old with a girl in the car I tried to make a turn way too late and skidded onto the side of a Rover R8. 

I drove it home from the accident, and ran it (after some body work involving a large rock, a pole and some other implements I can’t recall) until it’s next MoT which it would’ve failed badly so I was told by by a garage. Regretted not at least trying to repair to this day!

Incidentally the girl and I split up fairly quickly and it turned out that she had actually been shagging the physics teacher... 

Is that what made you want to be a teacher......🤫🙈🙉🙊🤫

A couple we used to know, met at school. 

Married 30 years now. About 6 years apart in age.  He was her Chemistry teacher. 

12 yrs old, reversed the old man's motor into the front steps of the house, knocking over the dwarf wall thing at the side of them and putting a 2" dent in the wing; that was the end of my unsupervised training sessions on the driveway. On the road I've not really had a crash, although I've accidentally nudged parked cars a few times(because stupid) without damage and been reversed into while waiting to enter a roundabout during rush hour.

My first and hitherto only "proper" accident was in a Y-reg Opel Manta GT/J in 1999.  I'd just bought it - for the princely sum of £90 out of the Diamond Freeads - and was on the way home from collecting it when I lost the back end on a roundabout on the A11 in the pissing rain.  At the time I was eyes down messing about with the heater controls as the screen was misting up, so by the time I realised what was happening I was at many degrees to my intended direction of travel.  Being relatively inexperienced at the time I over-corrected, spun and twatted the Armco.  The car drove home but never went back on the road.

First proper accident me and chompy snake were on the bypass near thirsk heading down to Derbyshire when a low flying bmw doing in excess of 140 hit me from behind. We made it on the news and tv. Also got bollocked for smoking near helicopter.

FB_IMG_1580159907362.jpg

FB_IMG_1580159903521.jpg

FB_IMG_1580159895270.jpg

FB_IMG_1580159865466.jpg

Nova for me too, went into a corner too fast and understeerd in a straight line across the corner up the path, slid on wet grass into a hedge. It was pretty fucked, even kinked the roof above the drivers door. Still drove home though.

Defiantly my fault though as 18 year old + carfull of mates +nova = being driven like Colin McRae has joined the 'divis hoods'

6 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

First proper accident me and chompy snake were on the bypass near thirsk heading down to Derbyshire when a low flying bmw doing in excess of 140 hit me from behind. We made it on the news and tv. Also got bollocked for smoking near helicopter.

I remember that.  My thought process when I saw the thread title was "Here we go, another Bub mishap *click* Fuck me, how is he even still alive?!"

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I remember that.  My thought process when I saw the thread title was "Here we go, another Bub mishap *click* Fuck me, how is he even still alive?!"

That was pretty much the start of my mishaps. All shite happened since then!

I wrote off a student's Fiesta by shunting into it with the 635CSi, when exiting from a slip road  The only damage to mine was a distorted nose cone, whilst the Fiesta's rear panel and floor were comprehensively buckled.

Less than a fortnight after changing the damned clutch, drilling out all the exhaust manifold studs to finally get it to seal, a diesel tanker decided not to give way at this cross roads.  I ploughed into the nearside front corner of his cab at pretty much 60.

05032100.JPG.fd17ae5825d802233b51a5499cf7efe2.JPG

05032102(1).JPG.22c262bddbd145d171e58a9b88e40f0e.JPG

05032101.JPG.300f180a4f02f03c05b398c709d104ed.JPG

05032103.JPG.c7e937ee56a6efd9c418cfc2d6ba99fa.JPG

The car span three full revolutions before stopping.  I felt slightly less cheated later on when I discovered that I'd also left the chassis of the (merely weeks old) tanker shaped like a banana.

Given the reputation, I thought she stood up remarkably well... especially given how much you tend to see cars of the period desintegrate in the 30mph offset crash tests...

DSCI0019.thumb.JPG.f5c69f0a3bfcfd32901da09c485fab0e.JPG

There literally was not a spec of rust on that Estelle and she drove ten times better than any other I've touched since.

14 minutes ago, Dannyk said:

My 'like' to the 'scrote van was that you got out OK, I hope the other driver got something, points? Ban?fine?

If memory serves he had his licence withdrawn due to the fact he was a fucking headcase.  Bub will be able to correct me here if need be.

A 1985 Nova 1.2. I was doing delivery driving for a daily rental company (Swan National in Dundee if it’s of any interest) and came off a roundabout a bit too quickly. Luckily(?) the car I hit - a Mk2 Fiesta 1.1L was owned by the same firm and being driven by a colleague. Both cars were fine to drive but I was out on my arse.  

My first legal accident was a head on in my Orion 1.6L. I had recently rebuilt the engine, bearings up and stuck on an illusion kit on credit. I overtook a lorry on a B road a mile from my house. It was poor light, wet and misty. The car I hit had no lights on and I didn't see it until the vauxhall badge was a yard in front of me through the wall of lorry spray at 50 odd mph. I had no time to react and I was next to the lorry and on the wrong side of the road.

I was 19 with a lairy ford, he was in his 60's and was a councillor with two dogs. I got fucking creamed at court. I got a 12 month ban (edit>) for dangerous driving, an extended driving test after those 12 months (<edit) and some hideously large fine to go with my shattered leg.

I accept full responsibility for that because I was on the wrong side of the road and quickly learnt that the roads are full of idiots that have no clue. An experience that has stayed with and guided me all these years to be incident free since.

3 minutes ago, BoggyMires said:

My first legal accident was a head on in my Orion 1.6L. I had recently rebuilt the engine, bearings up and stuck on an illusion kit on credit. I overtook a lorry on a B road a mile from my house. It was poor light, wet and misty. The car I hit had no lights on and I didn't see it until the vauxhall badge was a yard in front of me through the wall of lorry spray at 50 odd mph. I had no time to react and I was next to the lorry and on the wrong side of the road.

I was 19 with a lairy ford, he was in his 60's and was a councillor with two dogs. I got fucking creamed at court. I got a 12 month ban and some hideously large fine to go with my shattered leg.

I accept full responsibility for that because I was on the wrong side of the road and quickly learnt that the roads are full of idiots that have no clue. An experience that has stayed with and guided me all these years to be incident free since.

Liked for the illusion kit, proper back of a max power mag.