Talk me out of a laguna 2 please!!!

maxxo

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Oooh if you get one with xenons, check the levelling brackets aren't snapped. Rebuild able with little metal rods and pivots, but makes it a twat to drive at night (my passenger one was snapped and cable ties don't hold it for much longer than driving to and from an mot (which was all it needed to do) 

If you get an estate, check the rear wiper works, they seize up

Keyless is great until you do a tip run or pack the car, after about 6/7 locks and then unlocks as the doors are open the alarm goes off. I just used to chuck my wallet in the door pocket or manually unlock it

Don't put the keycards through the wash

I would be most dissapointed to have a car with a non functioning rear wiper, the laguna hatchback's rear wiper is of the style to create some real hot wiper action!

definatly think a phase 1 would be best for me, i'd prefer to insert the card rather than a truly keyless system.

tbh i don't think a laguna 2 is very likely to get stolen and if it did it would probably ftp on the thieves

I never locked my silver one (haven't locked a car for years, bar when it's parked somewhere unfamiliar) 

Blue one locked itself, so it gets an exception, bar the countless times I nipped out to grab something from it, swore as it was locked and had to go find my wallet and go back out... 

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

definatly think a phase 1 would be best for me, i'd prefer to insert the card rather than a truly keyless system.

You can still put the card into the slot on the phase 2. Phase 1 locks the card in but the phase 2 doesn't. 

Interestingly when you turn off the ignition on the phase 2 without the card in the slot (i.e. using keyless start), it will flash up on the screen for half a second "Please remove card". Pretty indicative of the quality of the software that is running the car... You can tell the keyless functionality must have been grafted in. 

3 hours ago, carlo said:

Didn't these things have a habit of breaking their front springs too?

A lot stuff did in the early to mid 2000s. I remember Saab going out of stock for 2 months on front springs for the 9-3. It's reckoned a dodgy batch of steel got into the supply chain of the major spring manufacturers. 

34 minutes ago, SiC said:

Base spec auto with not massively low miles and a bonus with pictures of the bonnet not down...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233441490475

£1700?!!! I can't believe that will ever sell!

I've seen that one, nice to see the bonnet is popped too so could have a battery drain issue

seems they believe any automatic is worth a lot of money, they will never sell it

Wrong spec, and kinda on the wrong landmass, but for anyone looking a really nice example here's one currently on offer from @R9UKE

2007 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi Dynamique Nav

1752557051_2007RenaultLaguna.thumb.jpg.cc318dc6ad152b3b241fd2b551b96319.jpg

An absolute one of a kind. This car has wanted for nothing.

Pretty much immaculate inside and out, with just 56,000 miles on the clock with one owner after being Renault Newtownabbey's demonstrator.

I have a printout from Charles Hurst detailing all services (sometimes twice a year) and MOT checks. There was a bill in June 2019 of £1500 for:
- Two front tyres
- Front brake pads and discs
- Front wishbones, ball joints, track rod ends and springs
- Rear subframe bushes
- Headlights buffed
- New key card
- Wipers replaced
- Brake fluid changed

794824250_2007RenaultLagunarear.thumb.jpg.728a1f821c7ba3d5891f35f7e99913b3.jpg

Having glanced through the history, it seemed this gentleman visited Renault for a health check on his Laguna religiously, and wrote them a blank cheque for anything they advised as being less than perfect.

The last service was a few weeks ago - 17/01/2020 at 56,316 miles.

MOT expires 22nd August 2020.

Fantastic spec includes:
Carminat satellite navigation
Black half leather interior
Hands Free Renault Card
Automatic climate control
Automatic headlights
Electric tilt/slide sunroof
Rain sensor
Cruise control with speed limiter
Heat reflecting windscreen
Front and rear electric windows
Automatic parking brake
CD Player
Alloy wheels
Front fog lights

And of course, the renowned chain-driven 2.0 dCi engine with a six-speed manual gearbox.

1348689323_2007RenaultLagunainterior.thumb.jpg.7cda0a4fdc3211d6739132f25eb063e4.jpg

It is an absolute gem, and so nice to see a Laguna that has been loved and appreciated. When do you EVER find a Laguna with Full Renault Service History!?

Pretty much a new car, at 10% of the cost.

£1,850

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2684277681628016&id=1099838683405265

If he reckons it's really that good, I'd take his word for it.

17 hours ago, SiC said:

I don't think the Laguna clocks had too many issues. 

Actually that's a lie, the alternator field coil resistor fails in them and leading it to not charge. But I think that was the early ones. 

Wasn’t it these that had an issue with the mileometer suddenly counting 1,000s of miles instead of miles?

17 hours ago, maxxo said:

I've seen that one, nice to see the bonnet is popped too so could have a battery drain issue

seems they believe any automatic is worth a lot of money, they will never sell it

This is common amongst bomb site traders - anything automatic is priced stupidly high for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

This is common amongst bomb site traders - anything automatic is priced stupidly high for some reason. 

They must think automatics are rare or something......

i mean if i was a trader i wouldn't really price automatics more than mauals

16 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

to be fair, it's been lovely and reliable until the point it decided it didn't want to be anymore.

That statement was 100% true for both my Laguna 1s and all.

20180402_134141.thumb.jpg.02fd6e68576c6abf207fb3122a967eae.jpg

Brilliant, until they weren't.

But then, logic doesn't usually come all that high up the list of shiter criteria, does it?

If you want a cheap Laguna II for the fun of it, by all means go for it and let us know how you get on!

Personally, I reckon I've completed my tour of duty behind the Diamond of Doom...

20180428_140414.thumb.jpg.a31fd3f8278e52317b8b852dedbd71dc.jpg

Just now, The Mighty Quinn said:

?Yeah, course you can.

They were probably on the phone ordering a pizza and laughing when you tried to race them. 330i has 230 bhp or so and sub seven second 0-60 and 150+ flat out.

I had a 1.6 astra mk4 off handy cross roundabout and fully lost him on the a404 this morning! Did have to try though...