MK3 Mondeo ST 2.2 FTP, a Dave saga with a fair bit of swearyness.

DaveDorson

12 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

So it drove ok til it was keyed off ?

Fired up and died after a second ?

Whats the PATS led doing ? Possible immob issue ?

PATS led?

Basically, it cut dead on the Thursday and flashed the coil light, I restarted it and parked the car, then when I came back to the car  an hour or so later I couldn't re-start it;  it'd fire up, run for a few seconds, 5-10 seconds, then cut out and flash the glow plug light;  no codes with my basic Autel fault code reader that does the J1850PWM standard, EML isn't lighting up showing a fault.

Left it till the Sunday, it started fine, as if all was well, but I didn't want to risk it being a blocked filter and it doing it again, so I fitted a new filter, filling it with fuel before I did so as not to introduce air.. it was windy as fuck so there's a chance I managed to get some air into the system.

It'd then not fire at all, would turn over and ignite a flashing glow plug light again, then stop the ignition attempt.  It fired on a sniff of easy start.

Checked the fuses, (can't see a relay for the pump), but nothing.  Didn't crack anything open post pump to see if it's dry, due to the pressure in those lines, did suck fuel from the return line through the filter, so I know that's at least got fuel in it.

Breakdown didn't help.

I've not really touched it since Sunday last week, because Sarah's doing a play and I've been very, very busy with work and other stuff.

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Where has the metal shit come from do you think?? Surely any self-destructing pumps or whatever would have been after the filter?

I think the contaminated fuel from the pump gets recirculated back to the tank via the leak off pipes. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Where has the metal shit come from do you think?? Surely any self-destructing pumps or whatever would have been after the filter?

It bleeds the rail back into the filter once there's enough pressure to fire the injectors, then from there back into the tank

So if the pump has failed, the filter grabs it.

But, if the pump fails, it usually means the rail, the injectors and the entire fuel system needs draining and cleaning through again.

As said though, problem is, I really like this car.

Just as a side, the diesel I removed from the filter was from the water/contamination drain at the bottom of the filter, so the "dirty side"  This was likely to have a load of crap in it anyway, it's a metal filter at the end of the day, and it separates water into that area, so rust is standard and that crap should never (as it's pre pump feed) find a way into the pump.

So, I pulled the filter apart, peeling it rather than cutting into it, and it's blocked both sides of the 2micron filter screen with metal fragments.  That would suggest I have an issue , as the "clean side" of the system is also showing signs.

I guess the next step is to check to see if there's any signs of anything in the rail itself.

If there is, chances are the injectors are goosed, if there's not, then it might be caught in time.

The fuel system is all plastic (pipes, tanks etc) so the rust won't be from that side of things.

Lidl have some 12v oil transfer pumps in for cheap so I went and got one.

Took the battery off the Mondeo and chucked it on the optimate as it's gone flat.

I'm going to buy another cheap filter and drain the fuel out the tank (through a filter) and chuck it in the van, there's about 3 gallons in there at the moment.

Apparently the massive machine in my unit is going this week, as such I get my workshop space back.  The Mondeo will go in and I'll make a start on getting the tank out to flush that out and I'll run something down the fuel lines to flush them too, before I turn my attention to taking the pump out to see what's gone wrong .

• 6 months later...

I got round to fixing this thing today.

Hows that for procrastination?

Wasn't the pump.

Borrowed my mates very expensive diagnostic machine that said the rail pressure was low.

A few months ago I bought the rail and pump sensors and I bought another new filter.

As I have had to shuffle shit around a bit today, I decided to drag a load of diesel out of this and chuck it in the van, because tight.. as I did this via the old filter, I decided to chuck the new one in, do the rail sensor as that's easier than the pump one and see what happened.

Fully expecting it to be a dick, I turned the key and to my horror is sprang to life.

Cunt.

So it's now getting re taxes and put back into use.

2 minutes ago, DaveDorson said:

I got round to fixing this thing today.

Hows that for procrastination?

Wasn't the pump.

Borrowed my mates very expensive diagnostic machine that said the rail pressure was low.

A few months ago I bought the rail and pump sensors and I bought another new filter.

As I have had to shuffle shit around a bit today, I decided to drag a load of diesel out of this and chuck it in the van, because tight.. as I did this via the old filter, I decided to chuck the new one in, do the rail sensor as that's easier than the pump one and see what happened.

Fully expecting it to be a dick, I turned the key and to my horror is sprang to life.

Cunt.

So it's now getting re taxes and put back into use.

well done

3 minutes ago, stuboy said:

any pics of the beaST?

It's absolutely hanging at the moment but I'll take some once I get it cleaned.

Won't be for a few weeks because I'm away the coming weekend.

I'm only taxing it because my landlord is being a dick about untaxed cars outside the unit, I think he wasn't banking on my having a trade policy and just blanket sorting all the stuff out and he'd hoped I'd move some stuff..