Skizzer’s thread: Honda Aerodeck repairs

Skizzer

14 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

Looks fantastic, it even has a period radio which looks the same as the one in my Granada. Great colour combination too, Gold with beige velour is fantastic.

Yes, it’s the original GM-branded Philips stereo radio/cassette — with bonus glovebox tape treasure:

E28BFC1B-4293-4E65-AD77-85096F8B7471.thumb.jpeg.fffd06d115579cd7fb42a890ad1ddf5b.jpeg

The sticky pedal will likely be one of the many linkages 'twixt pedal and throttle body needing a bit of lube or adjustment. The auto chokes on these carbs are horrible, they either stick on, come off too soon or don't work at all. They're operated by a bimetallic spring heated by coolant so make sure the little hose isn't blocked.
They can also be prone to the fuel draining out the carb if it's not used for a while leading to non starting. I would either chuck a jam jar of fuel down its throat or just sit and pump the throttle a dozen times and it would fire into life then.

Yes, I believe that was a thing with full size Aussie cars for a while - touting economy over power, to try and maintain sales in the light of higher fuel prices and smaller cars on sale, with acceptable levels of comfort and already good fuel efficiency.

The Commodore was certainly a lot smaller than the HQ-HZ Holden before it, which showed the way things were going in the late seventies.

I've never had the gauge working, as the original 202 motor (3.3L) was replaced by a straight six Nissan LD28 diesel engine. I'll hopefully be able to get it up and working again, once I pull my finger out and get the 308 (5L) V8 installed, which has been nestling on wooden blocks in the engine bay for 2 years!

Anyway, sorry for the thread digression Skizzer! 

On 4/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

Something for the wank bank here lads.

2070212603_BeFunky-collage(1).thumb.jpg.39e6af04c305d0bec4f46e0b0d0d623b.jpg

You could get an even greener version in the earlier Monzas.
This one is from a perpetual ad for what has been known  for years simply as 'The Green Monza'  It started off in about 2004 at £6995 and when it didn't sell for year after year he  added another grand to the asking price. Don't know if it ever sold  but last time I looked it was up at £15k.

Opel3-500x375.jpg

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Ooh, it's got a towbar.  Could it take over chod-trailering duties from the Skoda?

It could certainly help out with small chod: the towing limit is a decent 1700kg, which means a tonne or so of car plus the trailer.

Fuel consumption would be interesting.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Stevebrookman said:

@Skizzer .Here's some photos of the boot-with one of the dogs for added interest! You can "just" about see the difference in condition between yours and mine!!!!!!

boot2.JPG

Definitely a better fit on the tailgate!

Mine isn’t entirely without signs of corrosion, but it’s not at all bad.

I went and put some VPower in it this evening, and then took the (slightly) long way home to warm it up.

I got a flash of oil light at idle at one point, but it went away again. I’ll check the levels properly tomorrow.

It runs well but it takes a couple of goes to start, even after the point of needing choke. Might be a carb setting? Could just be that there’s some 95 RON in the tank.

The sticky throttle pedal is annoying. I will look at that tomorrow too.

The steering wheel is on wonky, but that’ll probably keep.

Otherwise all is good.

Under bonnet shot:

3B5AA259-838F-4D6B-BE25-6E5B33546BD9.jpeg

How are the inner front wings adjacent to the strut towers faring? It looks like they've been subject to some pretty decent welded repairs in the past.

The perception that Royales. Monzas and Senators suffer badly from inner from wing rot has so far put me off of owning one (I nearly bought a Carnelian Red metallic c.1981 Royale saloon in 1997 from Auto Trader for £1195, but wimped out due to the perceived rust issues). A shame, as apart from the mark 2 Granada, they are my all-time favourite European big cars.

26 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

How are the inner front wings adjacent to the strut towers faring? It looks like they've been subject to some pretty decent welded repairs in the past.

The perception that Royales. Monzas and Senators suffer badly from inner wing rot has so far put me off of owning one. A shame, as apart from the mark 2 Granada, they are my all-time favourite European big cars.

I wouldn't let that put you off. They can rot anywhere from the roof down. Other favourite grot spots are under the rear seat and all round the rear suspension area.

A thought on the throttle pedal. Have a look behind the plastic hinged pedal itself as it's not the usual type of organ pedal throttle, the flat plastic bit pushes down on a metal arm suspended from above like a conventional pedal.
Sometimes they get crud all down the back of them and a clean and some vaseline can work wonders.

8 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

They’re not bad, but there’s a bit of bubbling starting. They seem solid. It wants attention sooner rather than later so they don’t get any worse.

4A890700-6EDD-43AE-ADE6-26AB427E7175.thumb.jpeg.bee64a33f736df0c67d7d551eb1bd592.jpeg

09D0E2DF-56B0-4352-9A01-930412A7EF0D.thumb.jpeg.098db57a4864915cb046b060480d5e8b.jpeg

Rear suspension and underneath look ok, although I haven’t has the rear seat up yet.

Looks good! Get some Vactan on it and it will be all good.

Went to look at a saloon a few years ago -same colour as yours -in Telford. Bloke assured me it was running-got there and the bloody thing would only idle. Two of the butterflies had fallen off. I was not amused in the slightest!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Skizzer said:

Now that the Audi goes, attention turns to making it stop.

The brake pads had seized to the discs and both were (unappetising) toast.  I unceremoniously hammered them off, but being an idiot I then pumped the brake pedal at some point so the pistons have pushed out too far to wind back:

799DE9D9-0C4D-4CA7-8E27-12D5EE64DFCC.thumb.jpeg.82dd7f1534dd93cf87e963f4560dde38.jpeg

The boot has split too so a rebuild is definitely required.

Mystic Meg tells me that Destiny is pointing to something Bigg Red in my future.

In between getting distracted by plush Vauxhalls, I have been chipping away at the problem of the Audi’s rear brakes.  They are fighting back hard at every step.

I stripped the calipers down and cleaned them up in a roughly 10% solution of POR15 degreaser in the ultrasound bath (before on the left, after on the right):

D84127BD-8301-43CB-873C-85A6DCACD295.thumb.jpeg.5307848a255a47a17f60f4f20f0dc975.jpeg

I bought a rebuild kit and replaced the various seals.

I gave the pistons and cylinders a polish with some 2000 grit:

FB4615AD-FB85-484D-9D3D-EB63643A5B35.thumb.jpeg.24ffe52a9a51c72f9a53bd2b51ccf4b9.jpegB1217D47-6DA5-401B-AA99-3E26EAD2A6A0.thumb.jpeg.208b7abaca935848b26fd409b73a2534.jpeg

The problem I’ve got is that the pistons won’t wind back in — they won’t push past the new square cut seal. I can’t fit a rewind tool between the caliper and the piston to apply enough mechanical pressure: 

D52288B2-40DC-40E9-AC8B-68D25FFF2FEE.thumb.jpeg.21fe522d4ba58376e3ee5c70e271cf96.jpeg

I’ve tried fitting the seal round the piston and trying to force it down the gap into its slot, but that’s going nowhere too.

So I caved in and ordered a pair of new calipers from ECP, both left and right sides...

...can you tell what’s wrong with this picture?

76A8CA7E-10F8-48BE-BFB0-20024BC47D50.jpeg